Weight Loss

Capacity

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well done for getting the motivation to lose weight! I myself am trying to lose weight but jogging etc is out of the question for me as my knee gives way after running for any length of time.

I am 5'10 and 14 stone (168 lbs), 34 waist (uk size). I am on my feet all day at work and climb 5 floors worth of stairs twice a day which I believe helps keep my weight from rising as I have been around 14 stone (a little under, never over) for years.

My problem is that at work I never know what to have for lunch. I take lunch in with me (the meal options are never that healthy or cheap in work anyway) and I find that I make a lot of pasta or sandwiches and feel that I eat too many carbs. Could anyone suggest simple means for lunch breaks?

Thanks

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have used a self maide diet where I eat healthy but limit my calorie intake to 2000 calories a day. I also work out 3 times a week for several hours and wear a Polar watch to calculate my calorie burn while doing 30 minutes + of cardio and weights. Over a year ago I was able to lose about 30 pounds in about 6 monts or so and have been able to keep most of it off. Over the holidays I gained a few pounds back so now I am exercising and counting calories. I went from 230 to about 200 but as I said I gained a little back but no where near 230 - actually 212 - so I am now trying to get under 200 pounds into the 190s by doing the same thing - so far it seems to be working - good luck with what you do.

muscle12

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i'm currently 172 lbs. My weight goal is 150 and to have a flat chest/stomach. I've been walking/running 3 days/week, about an hour each, for about 4 weeks now. I have also been doing about 5 sets of 10 crunches and 2.5 sets of 10 push ups per day. I am also using the myfitnesspal app to count my calories.

I'm just feeling a bit discouraged right now because i've only seen about 2 lbs lost in 4 weeks. I was not active at all before i started so i was hoping to see a little more weight loss in the beginning.

I guess what i'm looking for is:

- feedback
- how long (guess) will it take before i'll be around 150 lbs and have a flat chest/stomach
- better exercise suggestions
- weight loss supplement suggestions (pills, shakes, etc.)

i really appreciate anything anyone can help me with. I also apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

Thanks

hey buddy may i make a suggestion im a personal trainer try doing some cardio maybe treadmill or bike do cardio before you do weights will help,you shed more pounds and build more muscle also if you try eating more protein in your diet can help too hope this can help darren

D

deleted15807

I took the easy way(www.bistromd.com) so far I've lost 10 pounds in one month. It's on the expensive side but nothing else was working.

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Easiest way to MELT off weight:
1- Portion control
2- Cut out any food that is white (pasta, bread, rice, dairy)
3- 1 Hour daily cardio, two 30 minute activities

If you want to really get in great shape, add a simple weight routine 3x a week.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm currently 172 lbs. My weight goal is 150 and to have a flat chest/stomach. I've been walking/running 3 days/week, about an hour each, for about 4 weeks now. I have also been doing about 5 sets of 10 crunches and 2.5 sets of 10 push ups per day. I am also using the myfitnesspal app to count my calories.

I'm just feeling a bit discouraged right now because i've only seen about 2 lbs lost in 4 weeks. I was not active at all before I started so I was hoping to see a little more weight loss in the beginning.

I guess what I'm looking for is:

- Feedback
- How long (guess) will it take before I'll be around 150 lbs and have a flat chest/stomach
- Better exercise suggestions
- Weight loss supplement suggestions (pills, shakes, etc.)

I really appreciate anything anyone can help me with. I also apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

Thanks
ok your diet of sandwiches has to be replaced.

You said 5 sets of 10 crunches, you have to step it up. You should be doing 5 sets of 50.

You need to but some dumbbells and get stronger.

As was said 150 at 5'10" is too thin if you are in shape

Look at this site

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Last edited:

D_Sandy_Krautch

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Seriously... It's way more about your food than exercise. I promise. Exercise is great for you. It really and truly is... but for shedding pounds... it's all about what you put into your mouth.

ShannonH

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
2- Cut out any food that is white (pasta, bread, rice, dairy)

Bad advice - there are plenty of white foods that can be great for you. Potatoes get a bad rap, but if you prepare them properly are actually very nutritious (as much vitamin C per as an orange) No food has more conflicting studies on it than dairy products, but one thing we do know for sure about milk is that it's one of the most nutritionally complete foods there is, which it has to be since it's what newborns are raised on. It's when you have a deficit of something that you can really overeat, because you need more of that food to get all of a certain vitamin/mineral that your body requires so you have to eat piles of it.
Breads, especially if you bake them fresh at home, can actually be really great. A lot of commercial breads are full of preservatives and added sugar, but if you do it at home it can be really good. You can mix your breads with other things you like (kale, zucchini, quinoa, etc.) that are also good for you. The yeast is actually one of the few non-meat sources of B-12, and the best thing about yeast is that it eats a lot of the stuff your body has trouble digesting, so you can absorb more nutrients. It also eats off most of the sugar and a lot of the simple carbohydrates that are in the dough.

The #1 thing that makes most diets 'work' (which diets generally don't long-term, because a diet isn't something you go on for a period of time -- it's how you live every day) is that people pay attention to what they're eating. Just write down everything you eat (or record on a site like livestrong or similar) and you'll eat better, and at very least less calories. If you don't watch your diet, exercise will almost never lead to weight loss because your body actively resists losing weight. You'll just snack more to make up the lost calories. Write down what you're eating and you won't.

D

deleted15807

Bad advice - there are plenty of white foods that can be great for you.

I've have never heard that. "White" typically means the whole grain has been processed out of it. The fiber, the good stuff that makes you feel full, has been stripped away.

henry8888

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
stop eating bread, potato, pasta, rice.Only eat meat fish and vegetables and obviously dont drink much alcohol and dont eat fast food or any processed foods.The weight will drop off especially if you are doing cardio every week aswell.

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Half a pound of weight loss a week is fine. If you do exercise that you enjoy you will most likely continue to lose weight. If you injure yourself it will all be over and you can start again next year when you feel better, so be casreful ramping up your exercises. tissue changes are slow. Losing weight too fast is unnecessary and doesn't let you become accustomed to a healthier lifestyle.

D_Sandy_Krautch

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm curious to know how many of you posting have lost a significant amount of weight. I'm reading a whole bunch of regurgitated bullshit lol Dude, figure out your basal metabolic rate. Write down everything you eat. Count your calories. You'll lose your weight.

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I wanted to lose some weight so I watched my carbs, my wine intake, and counted calories. I also worked out 3 times a week for weveral hours at a time calculating my calorie burn. Use my Polar watch for that purpose. I lost about 30 pounds and have been able to keep most of it off. I am not into phase I hope to lose a few more pounds. I know I will never look like the young 20-30 year olds at the gym. I just want definition and to keep my blood presure in check.

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
losing weight and getting in shape is simple, you don't have to cut everything out in your diet, you can even eat sweets from time to time (as long as you don't pig out)

all you have to do is burn more calories than consume and you'll lose weight, the hard part is most people are too lazy to stick to it

and another thing, don't think of it as a "diet", if you're just trying to look good for the summer, some party, etc. you'll most likely get disappointed very quickly, you have to think of it as a permanent life style change

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
losing weight and getting in shape is simple, you don't have to cut everything out in your diet, you can even eat sweets from time to time (as long as you don't pig out)

all you have to do is burn more calories than consume and you'll lose weight, the hard part is most people are too lazy to stick to it

and another thing, don't think of it as a "diet", if you're just trying to look good for the summer, some party, etc. you'll most likely get disappointed very quickly, you have to think of it as a permanent life style change

I agree - I lost weight using calories like money in the bank - calculated what I used each day based on 2000 calories a day - anything over 2000 went in the plus column and under 2000 calories went into the minus column - on those days I worked out I included the calories burned as minus calories. I knew on those days I worked out I could have some low fat chocolate brownie youghert - sinfully good.

SR_Dee_Zasther

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm curious to know how many of you posting have lost a significant amount of weight. I'm reading a whole bunch of regurgitated bullshit lol Dude, figure out your basal metabolic rate. Write down everything you eat. Count your calories. You'll lose your weight.

^This. Unless you're planning on competing in a bodybuilding contest, this is the way to lose weight. And even if you are competing, this is still the basic template for your diet plan.

bigo4show

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I agree that this is the basic formula on how people should lose weight. But I've been working out for 15 plus years and have come to the realization that most people out there are to lazy to figure out how to do it right. That's why when people ask me for advise, I tell them simply to follow a simple hi protein/low carb diet and incorporate some form of high impact aerobics to their usual weight training program. This is what I consider the beginning stages of learning what needs to be done to lose weight. Here's the BMR formula.
English BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )
Metric BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )