Welcome to texas, don't forget to buy rape insurance.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Is that Mexico in General? I was considered for a work transfer to Mexico city and there was a ton of guidance about how to avoid being kidnapped (in that case, kidnappings of american workers to hold them for ransom to their companies)

Good question, and a bit of research time. I was thinking solely of Cuidad Juarez.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
The members of my family who are from/still live in Mexico (Sinaloa) have told me that if I ever visit I should be weary of people seeking to take me and sell me off into the sex trade.

I was told a story about a family of tourists. They went out to have dinner at a restaurant. There was a table of men who wouldn't stop eyeing them, particularly the beautiful, blonde daughter.

One of the men supposedly walked up to the father and told him "Your dinner for you and your family has been paid for. Enjoy it. This is the last one you'll have with her", as he looked over at her.

The family didn't finish their dinner, they just got up, and left. As they were driving away, Dad realized they needed gas, so he had to pull over at the next stop. Once he did, another vehicle drove up, 4 men jumped out, armed and visibly so, and took the daughter away. By the time anyone could do/say anything they were gone. No one sent for ransom, no one heard from her or her abductors again.

I have no idea if that's just an urban legend, but I damn sure fuckin' hope it is.

Max_Polo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Is that Mexico in General? I was considered for a work transfer to Mexico city and there was a ton of guidance about how to avoid being kidnapped (in that case, kidnappings of american workers to hold them for ransom to their companies)

I think the drive-by low-dollar kidnappings have decreased in Mexico City but only based on being told that by a colleagues so data may contradict.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
The members of my family who are from/still live in Mexico (Sinaloa) have told me that if I ever visit I should be weary of people seeking to take me and sell me off into the sex trade.

I was told a story about a family of tourists. They went out to have dinner at a restaurant. There was a table of men who wouldn't stop eyeing them, particularly the beautiful, blonde daughter.

One of the men supposedly walked up to the father and told him "Your dinner for you and your family has been paid for. Enjoy it. This is the last one you'll have with her", as he looked over at her.

The family didn't finish their dinner, they just got up, and left. As they were driving away, Dad realized they needed gas, so he had to pull over at the next stop. Once he did, another vehicle drove up, 4 men jumped out, armed and visibly so, and took the daughter away. By the time anyone could do/say anything they were gone. No one sent for ransom, no one heard from her or her abductors again.

I have no idea if that's just an urban legend, but I damn sure fuckin' hope it is.

That's sounds archetypal, not individual.
So likely a story more so than a real event.

It smellls of anti-Mexican sentiment by gringos.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I've vacationed in Mexico nearly every year for the last seven years. Specifically Quintana Roo (PdC, Cozumel, Tulum) which is called the "Mayan Riviera". When we talk about travel there, people almost always ask, "Is it safe?", which is kinda comical....would I vacation in an unsafe area?

When I explain that it's safe, the next thing is, "well, there were those killings near the Texas border". I ask, "would you feel safe vacationing at the Jersey shore?" They say yes. So I ask, "But what about all the murders in Detroit and Chicago?" They reply that those cities are hundreds of miles from New Jersey.

Exactly....

Reactions: AlteredEgo

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That phrasing is a preposterous twisting of what's going. Compensating for this situation being deemed as "rape insurance" (which was made up by the Democratic opposition, not by the proponents themselves) only makes sense if one assumes that terminating a child who was incidentally produced by a rape is warranted and apparent enough that society should be expected to be providing for it. The point of these legislative proposals is the POV that a child should not have to suffer the penalties of the sins of his/her father, and that the child has immense innate worth that cannot be justly violated.

It's as if people don't want to consider the possibility that a child conceived in rape ought not be killed, and so are going to beat around the bush with what's going to happen for women who insist an abortion is necessary in such a scenario, even though that is precisely the point the Legislature is advancing.

Summary: "rape insurance" is a clever and convenient rhetorical device for sidestepping the core issue.

Last edited:

JulieInNaplesFL

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If people don't like things in America our exit borders are open for you to leave.

Don't ike your government, get up off your dead ass and go vote for the right people for a change. Only around 50% of people voted. Pathetic.

Don't turn the lights out after you leave most of us love it here.

Reactions: 9long6round

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That phrasing is a preposterous twisting of what's going. Compensating for this situation being deemed as "rape insurance" (which was made up by the Democratic opposition, not by the proponents themselves) only makes sense if one assumes that terminating a child who was incidentally produced by a rape is warranted and apparent enough that society should be expected to be providing for it. The point of these legislative proposals is the POV that a child should not have to suffer the penalties of the sins of his/her father, and that the child has immense innate worth that cannot be justly violated.

It's as if people don't want to consider the possibility that a child conceived in rape ought not be killed, and so are going to beat around the bush with what's going to happen for women who insist an abortion is necessary in such a scenario, even though that is precisely the point the Legislature is advancing.

Summary: "rape insurance" is a clever and convenient rhetorical device for sidestepping the core issue.
I would immediately terminate a zygote or fetus conceived during a rape. It's the right thing to do. For me. Only actual humans have rights as citizens. Embryos are not humans.

Reactions: braalian

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Indeed? So what are they? Which species of creature?

Is this a chicken? If you ordered some for your farm, and you received a dozen of these, would you feel you got what you ordered?

silo-brown-egg.jpg

Is this an oak tree? If you ordered one from a nursery, and they gave you this, would you feel you got what you ordered?

acorns.jpg

A human fetus possesses human DNA and will, absent some other issue, grow into a human being, but I believe it's in this context that she's saying that it's not a human being, it's still under construction. Even from the point where an egg has been fertilized, it's a single cell organism. Even if it can become a human, calling 1 human cell a human gets a little squirrely. I am made of human cells, but they do not have their own independent rights and priviledges just for having human DNA (If we want to go further down a rabbit hole, there's a lot of living cells that make up me as a person that don't have human DNA. There's a lot more symbiosis / colony structure going on in the human body then we like to talk about :p)

Reactions: AlteredEgo

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Afraid I'm split on the issue. In cases of rape or medical necessity, health insurance should cover. In cases where mom just elects not to have a baby, I don't see how that should become an economic burden on The People or on other participants in group insurance plans.

IMHO a woman's right to decisions about her health and body is absolute. If she decides to have sex, that is her choice. If she decides to terminate her pregnancy, again, the decision is hers. But that doesn't necessarily mean others should be forced to pay for her choices.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Afraid I'm split on the issue. In cases of rape or medical necessity, health insurance should cover. In cases where mom just elects not to have a baby, I don't see how that should become an economic burden on The People or on other participants in group insurance plans.

IMHO a woman's right to decisions about her health and body is absolute. If she decides to have sex, that is her choice. If she decides to terminate her pregnancy, again, the decision is hers. But that doesn't necessarily mean others should be forced to pay for her choices.

Just to touch on this bill specifically, this law disallows insurance companies from covering it. As a consumer in the marketplace, right now, you can make a choice between plans which cover it and plans which don't (if you get your insurance through work, you may feel your hands are tied based on the fiscal ramifications of one choice -vs- another, but the choice is out there in the marketplace).

This legislation, however, bans insurance companies from offering abortion coverage in their standard health plans. They are specifically telling insurance companies that if they want to offer abortion coverage, it needs to be done as its own separate thing rather than including with general coverage.

Do you agree with that? Because that's the bill that we're talking about here. We're not talking about insurance companies being forced to offer something, we're talking about them being forced to not offer something.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is this a chicken?

I'm assuming you're suggesting it's not fertilized? Then of course it is not; it's a gamete of a developed organism.

The more relevant question would be: is it assuming it is fertilized? Is there a chicken zygote/embryo inside? If so, yes, there is a chicken inside the egg.

Is this an oak tree?

Not a "tree". "Tree" assumes a certain stage of the development of the organism. But technically, yes, those acorns are oak organisms.

Btw, the logic you are suggesting in this analogy is disturbing, to put it mildly. There being no oak until there is a sapling emerged from the ground is analogous to there being no human until there is an infant emerged from the womb (nevermind the magical thinking involved there: emergence from the mother making the human).

A human fetus possesses human DNA and will, absent some other issue, grow into a human being, but I believe it's in this context that she's saying that it's not a human being, it's still under construction.

Possesses unique DNA. And that's the most normative standard for identifying distinct organisms.

Even from the point where an egg has been fertilized, it's a single cell organism. Even if it can become a human, calling 1 human cell a human gets a little squirrely. I am made of human cells, but they do not have their own independent rights and priviledges just for having human DNA

Your cells are formed on the basis for your DNA and carry this DNA.

The gestational human is being formed on the basis of his/her own DNA, which is distinct from his/her mother's.