Welfare Queens?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by slurper_la, Feb 17, 2009.

1. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. agnslz

Gold Member

Thanks for posting that link. It is a bit dated though since AFDC has long been replaced with TANF or Temporary Aid to Needy Families.

I wrote somewhere else on here about my and my family members' experience with welfare and how most people aren't even aware of the effects of welfare reform nowadays.

"Welfare Queens" are no longer even possible. There is a strict and set time limit to how long people can collect welfare in their lifetime. Once that limit is reached you can never be on welfare again. Food stamps don't have time limits but they do have work requirements. It used to not be that way.

People also think it's so easy to get this aid. I'd ask anyone who never has to wait in a welfare office for hours for your appointment or to fill out and do all that is required to get these benefits. And you must do this every three or six months in order to determine your continued eligibility.

It's not easy, trust me. In fact many choose to forego the hassle altogether even though they'd be eligilible. My own state is one of the poorest in the country and it has many more people eligible for aid than are actually receiving it. Yeah, it's good for your pocketbook, but is it good for society as a whole to have so many people in need not getting any help?

And i'd remind everybody that many of those on government assistance are working people who still can't get by on what they earn. I'd hope people who oppose higher minimum wages would consider that when forming their opinions about that. Aid might not be necessary for so many if they got paid a fair and livable wage.

3. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    as the old dude up the hill from me says...

welfare mothers make better lovers...

4. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

I'm sure that unless you've been in the situation that you and I have
    been in you cannot possibly understand that you can't make ends meet,pay rent,feed yourself, never mind the kids if you are collecting "Transitional Assistance" and/or food stamps here in Mass. I could not apply for SSI benefits until I had applied for this "Transitional Assistance". It will make you crazy! The regulations that are set up it seems simply to belittle you. As to what bills they will allow I fought about that too with my supervisor. Who by the way agreed with me on the rules being screwed up.
    Many of the guidelines make no sense at all.
    Thanks to slurper la for this eye opener!
    C.B. :saevil:

5. midlifebear

Gold Member

Sorry, prior to slurp-la's post I though Welfare Queens was a song by ABBA. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted