Well done Mr Cameron!!

S

superbot

62% of the public backed the PM according to a recent poll, with only 19% against.So it would seem he had a mandate from the electorate.
Now ladies and gentleman that is democracy at work,an alien concept to the gangsters in Brussels!!!

S

superbot

The gangsters sit in the City.
People who work in the Square Mile are not elected politians.If the German's and French are so keen on handing out patronizing lectures to the British,how come they ALLOWED contries like Greece and Portugal to run up such depts??

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
People who work in the Square Mile are not elected politians.If the German's and French are so keen on handing out patronizing lectures to the British,how come they ALLOWED contries like Greece and Portugal to run up such depts??

You don't need to be an elected politician to be a gangster. If everything is allowed in the London City, you end up having gangster bankers compared to which the Zurich "gnomes" are little lambs.

Last edited:
S

superbot

You don't need to be an elected politician to be a gangster. If everything is allowed in the London City, you end up having gangster bankers compared to which the Zurich "gnomes" are little lambs.
The Zurich knomes have spent the best part 70 years busily hiding Nazi loot lifted from Jews people across Europe (and then only surrending it slowly) to be able to find time to point accusing fingers at London.
The problems with the Euro are Germany's problem not the UK's.We still have Sterling which we are taking responsibility for.Who know's maybe the Swiss may finally stop sitting on their hands under the banner of neutrality and chip in to the woes of their German cousins.
The UK has made huge contributions to Europe over the years and have abided by all decisions on important discisions,never before having used the veto.
How ironic that continental Europe have their 'hands full of mud' aimed at the UK when so many of them seem to forget that one of the main reasons the EU was conceived was to insure that WW2 should never happen again and that Fascism and Communism never again displace Parliamentary Democracy and the freedom of the individual.
TAKE HEED GERMANY,SPAIN AND ITALY ON THAT ONE!

Re: the financial transaction tax.

I read a while ago that the EU was planning to fund its budget or 'own resources' from the proposed banking tax (among other things?), instead of relying on contributions from the member states.

Presumably, since 50% of this type of transaction within the EU happens in London, we'd be financing 50% of that part of the EU budget, rather than our usual 12%. If this is the case, I guess it's not surprising they're not too keen on us opting out of it??

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Cameron has broad support for this decision from the people of the UK - 3/4 of those who expressed a view backed him. The Coalition is not going to come apart over this.

Politics in other EU countries might strengthen his position. An Irish rejection at a referendum would have resonance in the UK.

However the continuing euro crisis will do the most for Cameron's support. We now have the IMF saying that last week's summit was a step in the right direction but not the solution, and I can see absolutely nothing to stop the markets hammering the euro next week.

Yes the next couple of days might be stormy for Cameron - but his decision has broad support in the nation he represents.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Yes the next couple of days might be stormy for Cameron - but his decision has broad support in the nation he represents.

No one knows the future.

But, in my head there are three issues that the UK needs to look at with regard to its relationship with Europe.

These are economics, culture and politics, and you can divide these into micro and macro levels. On a macro level, I believe that the argument for integration into the world's biggest market is strong to overwhelming in all areas.

The City of London needs to be the financial centre of a United Europe. This gives the UK enormous power and many in Europe don't like this. particularly the French. When push has come to shove, France has almost always come second to the UK. The UK being strong in Europe will diminish the position that France has engineered for itself. The French have always wished t undermine the UK in Europe and they continue to do so.

Culturally, I don't see that the Brits have any problem with anyone in Europe except France. I have long felt that an anglo german Europe would be much better than a franco german Europe. I don't know why Cameron has not worked in this direction.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Looking over the time frame of the next generation the UK is looking at a very large population increase. By contrast the projection for Germany is downward, with little change for France, Spain and Italy. This will alter the UK's relationship with Europe.

The globe needs fewer and bigger financial centres. It is hard to see how Europe can continue to support London and Frankfurt - plus Switzerland. The challenge is for Frankfurt-based business to move to London. The euro-crisis may well be the catalyst.

The UK's relationship with both France and Germany has its problems. The underlying point is that the UK does not perceive itself as a European country. Almost everyone talks of "Britain and Europe" - not "Britain and the rest of Europe" or "Britain and the continent". Most people would like to see the UK outside the UK - I think this is demonstrated by polls. If being outside Europe somehow damages the UK then we should solve these problems.

The City of London needs to be the financial centre of a United Europe. This gives the UK enormous power and many in Europe don't like this. particularly the French.
I agree - the EU has a world-class financial centre in the City of London. Makes no sense to destroy it - altho it seems that they're determined to do so. Sarkozy commented last week that London can't continue to be an 'offshore financial centre, taking away all of Europe's capital', which is a bit odd since we're actually in the EU.

The globe needs fewer and bigger financial centres. It is hard to see how Europe can continue to support London and Frankfurt - plus Switzerland.
Well, they can't. Would seem they've decided to consolidate Frankfurt and Paris instead, with the ECB (obviously), regulations fettering the City of London, and also moving the Financial Standards HQ (not sure of the exact name) from London to Paris (which was another safeguard Cameron was after).

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is in the interests of the whole EU to support the one EU financial centre which stands alongside New York - LONDON.

However France and Germany seem set on supporting Frankfurt and damaging London. This is a great way to ensure that NEW YORK becomes the world's unchallenged financial centre.

Cameron had to say no at last week's summit. And now he has to ensure that the City of London is safeguarded from intrusive regulations - which means he has to veto everything. The time may come very soon when the UK would be better free from all EU regulation rather than seeking to modify it from within.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is in the interests of the whole EU to support the one EU financial centre which stands alongside New York - LONDON.

However France and Germany seem set on supporting Frankfurt and damaging London. This is a great way to ensure that NEW YORK becomes the world's unchallenged financial centre.

Cameron had to say no at last week's summit. And now he has to ensure that the City of London is safeguarded from intrusive regulations - which means he has to veto everything. The time may come very soon when the UK would be better free from all EU regulation rather than seeking to modify it from within.

And there it is again... The british nationalism
Lets get the guns out, we have to defent the london city. The ugly german trys to be more importent with frankfurt...
As long as britain and the city benefits, we dont need to care for others

No one every sayd frankfurt has to be supported and london has to be distroyd... I dont care if london would benefits or not, by new finance rules...

There is only one question to be answered... Does the systems we create benefit the people? And the answer is no, not even in england... Your city is 30% of your gdp and can create huge wins (in good times) but also england has to face huge sozial problems, cause most english doesnt benefit from the city... Blair had to create a gigantic social care system in the 90's to let the poor at least benefit a bit. But this social cares are financed by debts... That shows not even sozial bare can be finanzed by the city

So tell my why should someone akzept a system that doesnt creates wellfare BUT it creates dangers... It cant even be in the intrest of england.

If you wanna stay the biggest finance center, do so. But you have to akzept new rules...

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is only one question to be answered... Does the systems we create benefit the people? And the answer is no, not even in england... Your city is 30% of your gdp and can create huge wins (in good times) but also england has to face huge sozial problems, cause most english doesnt benefit from the city... Blair had to create a gigantic social care system in the 90's to let the poor at least benefit a bit. But this social cares are financed by debts... That shows not even sozial bare can be finanzed by the city

So tell my why should someone akzept a system that doesnt creates wellfare BUT it creates dangers... It cant even be in the intrest of england.

If you wanna stay the biggest finance center, do so. But you have to akzept new rules...

You forget that people in Britain are quite happy with a caste system like India, in particular politicians. So who cares about the poor when you have charities run by the royal family?

Your city is 30% of your gdp and can create huge wins (in good times) but also england has to face huge sozial problems, cause most english doesnt benefit from the city.
It's apparently 10% (I read it today). :p
And I'm not sure where this 'we don't care about others' thing comes from. We've already helped to bail out Greece, Portugal and Ireland, thanks.

So who cares about the poor when you have charities run by the royal family?
This is pathetic, even for you.

B_thenakedgardener

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
And there it is again... The british nationalism
Lets get the guns out, we have to defent the london city. The ugly german trys to be more importent with frankfurt...
As long as britain and the city benefits, we dont need to care for others

No one every sayd frankfurt has to be supported and london has to be distroyd... I dont care if london would benefits or not, by new finance rules...

i think you may find its 9% of gdp not 30

but as they say a blind man uses statistics for support not illumination

i think the idea of a united Europe is a great idea but all of the countries are to different we need our own fiscal policies. as we have seen from Greece not every person in the EU even pays tax.

if anybody on here has been to italy the north and south of italy could be different countries

its a very bad situation and unfortunately the people sorting it out have agendas that are self promoting

weeer alllll dooooomed!!!!

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the whole finance industry creates in britain around 30%... And "the city" stands in this case for this industry
And now the shock... These 30% only creates 15% of the jobs :eek::eek:

But back to the topic

Why should some one chear cameron?
He wants a veto and spezial rights for britain... and he got nothing

Are we at a kindergarten and chear also the loser?
So well done cameron, at least you were a member of the "negotiations"

Last edited:
S

superbot

the whole finance industry creates in britain around 30%... And "the city" stands in this case for this industry
And now the shock... These 30% only creates 15% of the jobs :eek::eek:

But back to the topic

Why should some one chear cameron?
He wants a veto and spezial rights for britain... and he got nothing

Are we at a kindergarten and chear also the loser?
So well done cameron, at least you were a member of the "negotiations"
Ain't it a great shame that everybody in Europe doesn't do JUST what Germany wants.Heaven forbid that we have a different opinion and have the front to speak out in support of it.I guess being treated as second class citizens is what being a Turk living in Germany must feel like!!

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ain't it a great shame that everybody in Europe doesn't do JUST what Germany wants.Heaven forbid that we have a different opinion and have the front to speak out in support of it.I guess being treated as second class citizens is what being a Turk living in Germany must feel like!!

Well, until now no Turk has blown up the Berlin U-Bahn as your Paki (or whatever) people - born and raised in Britain - have done in the London Underground.