Well lookee what the Catholics are doin now

Shamrock

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by warmsunshine@Sep 16 2005, 01:40 PM
http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/09/091505catholic.htm

It's not even the "homosexual activity" stuff I disagree with so much, it's even the suspicion of orientation that will get you kicked out of the priesthood that's really ugly and stupid.
[post=343682]Quoted post[/post]​

Im against all religeon, but count yourself lucky you live in a country mainly populated by Christians. The Muslims would kill you on sight for just being what you are.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
In reading the cited article I discovered the following:

Headline: ARTICLE, HRC CALL GAYS WITCHES

"The Human Rights Campaign labeled the investigation a witch hunt."

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by warmsunshine@Sep 15 2005, 08:40 PM
http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/09/091505catholic.htm

It's not even the "homosexual activity" stuff I disagree with so much, it's even the suspicion of orientation that will get you kicked out of the priesthood that's really ugly and stupid.
[post=343682]Quoted post[/post]​

So by "the Catholics" you meant "the Vatican," right? Most Catholics don't exactly follow the Vatican to the letter.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by surferboy@Sep 16 2005, 11:54 AM
How come whenever I slam Catholocism, I get like, assaulted by the right wingers?
[post=343797]Quoted post[/post]​

'Cause, like, you're so assaultable.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by surferboy@Sep 16 2005, 10:54 AM
How come whenever I slam Catholocism, I get like, assaulted by the right wingers?
I don't know about the right wingers, but I would love to slam you anytime. :evilgrin: Well maybe the word slam isn't quite the right word.

Seriously, we do have a paradox, the best things in the world have been done by orgnized religions and sadly some of the worst also my be done or allowed by organized religions.

In spite of Christianities track record, among the organized religoins, the cultures dominated by Christians generally have more rights for women, less punishment for what is perceived as sex crimes etc.

And it is ironic that the right wingers who for decades have slammed the Catholic Church are now coming to its defense on a regular basis.

I don't agree with many of the Catholic positoins, but they are consistent. They are always for life and in the last 40 years always against war. So they are anti abortion and also anti capital punishment. The right wingers are against abortion because according to them, that is murder, but right wingers have no problem with capital punishment which many consider murder and most right wingers are always pro war if their government is also pro war in a given situation.

I was sadden to see Benedictine become Pope. I fear that all this witch hunt stuff would happen. In general I hate witch hunts regardless of who is doing it and how noble their reasons may appear. Witch hunts unnecessarily destroy people's character. That is wrong and is a a whole lot more wrong than some sex act between to mature consenting adults who have the total freedom to end the relationship or the sexual activity.

Good to hear from you Nixxy. Hope all is going well at the Wal Greens store.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I was willing to adopt a wait-and-see attitude about him, but I've waited and now seen. He is just what many had feared. I think this will bring no glory to the institution.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by surferboy@Sep 16 2005, 10:54 AM

Well, Nixxy, it's not really about right wingers vs. left wingers. You are a Buddhist, and have professed great admiration for the Dalai Lama. Remember how often that the Dalai Lama has commented that the condemnation of other religions is an inexcusable evil. Also keep in mind that the Dalai Lama considered Pope John Paul II a good friend and admired his conviction. He has studied many Christian religions and said that he finds Catholicism to be the most pure and compassionate Christian denomination in theory. That 'in theory' is important, because unfortunately, many in the Catholic Church, including quite a few in the hierarchy, forget what the purpose of religion is and go off on tangents like the current investigation. However ... and this is not an apologist reaction ... note that the article came from gay.com, which has consistently upheld an anti-religion stance. I, for the record, disapprove of what is going on in the Church concerning this ill-advised crusade, but any objective observer will detect the obvious prejudice in Beth Shapiro's report. She is not saying, "I condemn the Catholic Church for what it is doing;" It's more of a case of , "I have always disliked the Catholic Church, and here's another rationalisation for that dislike." That's a big difference, and a discredit to objective news reporting.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Sep 16 2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I was willing to adopt a wait-and-see attitude about him, but I've waited and now seen. He is just what many had feared. I think this will bring no glory to the institution.
[post=343922]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree, but he doesn't think that his reign will be long-lived anyway. He is not prepared to bring about any real reform in the Church because he sees his time as a sort of interim Papacy. I was actually hoping that Francis Cardinal Arinze from Nigeria would be elected. I'm hoping that the next conclave will bring forth a more user-friendly Pontiff.

Michael18m

Just Browsing
Media
Long time reader, never poster. anyway, could I ask the name of this thread be changed, I find it a bit insulting that its put across as all Catholics believe this and frankly it sounds as bigoted as what those who are pushing for this policy within the church are doing.

"Look at what the Vactican are doing now" would have been much more acceptable to the likes of myself, who as Catholics dont agree with this policy, I doubt we'd ever see a thread stating 'Look what the Protestants are doing now".

take care, bye.

Michael18m

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 17 2005, 05:32 PM
clue handout time.  don't agree with the catholic church's policies?  then don't be a catholic.  either you believe their bullshit or you don't.
[post=344099]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats simplistic rubbish, I believe in all aspects to do with such things as the Virgin, the Saints and the after world etc, what I do disagree with is some of the stuff which is modern and in relation to certain issues handed down by the Vactican which is policy that can change, not dogma, which if you ask DoubleMeatWhopper I'm sure he can confirm.

Its easy to walk away and do nothing in life, I have no need to defend my faith or who I am, I am not anti-gay, and I refuse to be labeled as one because this is a issue which the Church as a insitution is still to catch up on, and as with many religions, not just Christianity, will take time too.

If everyone had the idea just to walk away from everything then what sort of world would we live in ? and its bad enough already.

As I said earlier I dont object to anything in this thread, I agree with most of it, but I didn't like the title, I dont think "look what gays are doing now", or "look what protestants are doing now" would have been acceptable, thats all, I just felt we'd have a better debate if a Catholics back wasn't put up the second he read the title, even if he agreed with the content of the thread.

We each try to make a positive difference in our own way, just because mine is different from yours, doesn't make it any less valid.

Anyway, take it easy and take care, at least I can say I've posted here a couple of times now, lol

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Sep 17 2005, 11:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Sep 17 2005, 11:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Sep 16 2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I was willing to adopt a wait-and-see attitude about him, but I&#39;ve waited and now seen. He is just what many had feared. I think this will bring no glory to the institution.

I agree, but he doesn&#39;t think that his reign will be long-lived anyway. He is not prepared to bring about any real reform in the Church because he sees his time as a sort of interim Papacy. I was actually hoping that Francis Cardinal Arinze from Nigeria would be elected. I&#39;m hoping that the next conclave will bring forth a more user-friendly Pontiff.
[post=344068]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

I was hoping for Cardinal Sin of Malaysia to win the Papacy.

Michael18m

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by surferboy+Sep 17 2005, 06:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(surferboy &#064; Sep 17 2005, 06:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Sep 17 2005, 11:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora
@Sep 16 2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I was willing to adopt a wait-and-see attitude about him, but I&#39;ve waited and now seen. He is just what many had feared. I think this will bring no glory to the institution.

I agree, but he doesn&#39;t think that his reign will be long-lived anyway. He is not prepared to bring about any real reform in the Church because he sees his time as a sort of interim Papacy. I was actually hoping that Francis Cardinal Arinze from Nigeria would be elected. I&#39;m hoping that the next conclave will bring forth a more user-friendly Pontiff.
[post=344068]Quoted post[/post]​

I was hoping for Cardinal Sin of Malaysia to win the Papacy.
[post=344125]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Hello,

Cardinal Jaime Sin ? Its a shame he died, did alot for his people, even after he had to retired, one of those people with a presence that could get things done, from reading about him.

I think he was from the Philippines though.

----------------------------------------------
No one who saw themselves as a long term Pope wanted to follow JPII and the laugh was the present Pope was supposed to be ill at thought he&#39;d end up with it.

The way it got described to me was ; you know when you get a really successful coach of a sports team, and no one wants to follow him directly because they know he wont get to do much, they all want it the second time around. thats what this was.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by Michael18m@Sep 17 2005, 06:29 PM
Thats simplistic rubbish, I believe in all aspects to do with such things as the Virgin, the Saints and the after world etc, what I do disagree with is some of the stuff which is modern and in relation to certain issues handed down by the Vactican which is policy that can change, not dogma
then don&#39;t associate yourself with a political body whose policies you don&#39;t agree with&#33; that&#39;s not an issue of simplicity vs complexity; it&#39;s just basic common sense.

If everyone had the idea just to walk away from everything then what sort of world would we live in ?
a far more agreeable and far less annoying one.

SUMYUNGUY

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 17 2005, 03:03 PM
then don&#39;t associate yourself with a political body whose policies you don&#39;t agree with&#33; that&#39;s not an issue of simplicity vs complexity; it&#39;s just basic common sense.

Thats the stupidest comment I&#39;ve heard from you yet, and thats really saying alot.