Well, Son of a.....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Damiaen Michaels, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Damiaen Michaels

Damiaen Michaels New Member

Albums:
    Hey All,

I sent a LPSG'er an IM about how cool it is to see another Alaskan on the site and minutes later I find out I am being demoted.

Yes, demoted! After a year and a half of working my ass off and getting the Aleutian Bureau Chief spot and lead reporter for most of the big stories, I find out that the PD's (program director) snobby assed son is taking the spot. No move up for me, I get demoted to fluff stories. Stories like "what to do if you lock your keys out of your car" (think Family Guy). I am pissed to say the least.

So, I went in to complain and try for a better spot, at least lead reporter here in Anchorage. No, I was told to "deal with it". Even though I am a better reporter (ok, little ego there) and this kid hasn't had enough experience in the field to have the spot (6 months on the job)....I get demoted to fluff stories.

So, an unlikely move from me, I walked out of the station manager's office, typed my resignation and handed it to the general manager in charge, and have packed my desk....I am staying til 8p when my shift is up...I am getting paid for this shift.

Not sure where I am going (don't want to work for 11 and 13 in town) so I am probably off to another city, maybe Fairbanks, maybe another state. Don't know, just know I am pissed.

It is unlike me to quit anything, but to work so hard and get a sweet spot and have it be given to a snotty brat cause he is the PD's son, I can't work at a place that does that.

Let me know if you think I did the right thing....I think I did and my Mom, Dad, brothers, and sisters...even my co-workers think I did, but I would like to know what you think.

Off to get everyone's numbers and home/email addresses. God, this sucks!

Rock on,

Damiaen
    :BoomSmilie_anim: Channel 2

2. Ed69

Gold Member

You bet I'd do the same,my wife has walked out on jobs for the same reason.

3. davidjh7

Gold Member

Hey, Damiaen. I'm so sorry you got sdcrewed over this way--nepotism is SUCH crap. The only saving grace is, that more than likely, the kid, not having much experience, is going to fall flat on his ass, and make the station look bad, and the program director will get hit. The media business is totally brutal on talent, and they abide NO shit when it comes to ratings=$$$. I think you did the right thing, and at a good time, too, because fce it--when the station has a fall because of their stupidity, you don't want to be associated with it anymore. You have talent (yes, I know--I have spies everywhere..:biggrin1: ), and have the look and poise to be a top reporter anywhere you go. I have faith in you, man, and despite tha pain involved, the work you did was seasoning for a top reporter--so it wasn;t wasted. And people will wonder what happened, especially when the snot nosed kid comes on and figuratively sticks his finger up his ass during prime news. You have friends here, and we'll stick by you, too--remember no matter where you go, you have a home.:smile: Good luck!

4. Greekdick69

Greekdick69 New Member

I think you did the right thing bro, granted you have the planned 3-6 months of $ in savings to support yourself until you get a job that you like.

I agree it sucks when someone does something like that. But with all the resources available as publicity (blogs and stuff), I would have put his name out there for others to see what type of executive your exboss is. At least I like things to be even, "you are an asshole to me, fine, I'll be an asshole to you". Well but that's just me, by no means if you don't feel comfortable with such actions then just do whatever makes you happy.

From what I see at least giving your resignation made you feel better, and I think that's the main thing.

Hope you find something bigger and better soon.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Maybe it's because you've been sending your reports long distance from the East Coast. That would piss any Alaskan off.

6. Hatched69

Hatched69 Member

Albums:
    Yip. That kind of nonsense would honk me off too. I doubt I'd speak another word to anyone for fear of saying something that would make the situation way worse than it is.
    You might check into your state's requirements for unemployment compensation regarding your situation to hold you over financially until your next job comes along, though.... Just a thought!:smile:

7. agnslz

Gold Member

I think you did the right thing as well! Sometimes in life you just have to put your foot down and NOT 'take one for the team'! Especially if that team doesn't realize or appreciate what you contribute. Sure there are times when being prideful or unaccepting of change is wrong... but this ISN'T one of those times! I hope only the best for you, Damiaen! Perhaps after all is said and done you may end up in a better spot - one where you are appreciated!:smile:

8. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I was wondering -- you happened to be surfing LPSG and you got hit with the news? I don't suppose your web browsing at work caught up with you, would it?

In any case, I don't down you for your decision. I've worked quite a few jobs this year, and there's just no getting around the simple fact that if you're not happy and enjoying what you do and are set in a position to keep moving forward, then quitting is the way to go. I think the immediate fret over where to go, which direction to take, will soon be relieved by the warmth of a decision without regret. Yeah, I bet the kid will get his hard knocks; I hope he does. But you're gonna move on and do big and better things wherever you end up. Keep it positive and you'll feel fine.

9. mindseye

Gold Member

If an employee quit on me with zero notice, I'd have a hard time giving him a good recommendation. Quitting an intolerable work situation is the right thing to do, but not giving notice doesn't punish the folks upstairs -- it punishes your peers, who'll have to scramble to take up the slack until a replacement is found.

Sometimes you just have to storm out of a job (I've done it twice), so I'm not judging you -- just pointing out that the path to your next job might be a little rockier for the way you handled it.

10. Bryan_Lyte2

Gold Member

My points have already been brought up, but I do want to follow them up. First, What does sending a p.m. have to do with you being demoted (unless you were at work at the time). Unless you humiliated your boss in some sort of way or broken some sort of sexual harrasment policy that goes beyond the workplace, or defamed your own name. Secondly Mindseye is right, they already have your replacement in the form of the bosses son. By leaving you haven't inconvineince them. Even though you complined and was not attented to, with as much support as you say you have, you should have rallied a strike. Instead you inconvienience yourself bigtime.

I have been in that situation, where the newbie was given my position. I had a year seniority, that punk had only a week and they made him supervisor. I submitted my resignation the next day, but I was already planning on quitting. Even being upset I gave them two-weeks notice. It made it look as if it were a buisness out, rather than a flee in hopes of vengance. The best of it all was he left just before I did, but without notice. It made them look bad, they lost a good emplyee, had to hire on two new employees, and had no supervisor. It was like a scene from Scorched.

In any case, take this experience and learn from it.
    :cool:

11. Sam1070

Sam1070 New Member

Damiaen, Best of luck to you in your new adventure. I have always enjoyed your posts and I certainly hope you will remain a member of LPSG. Keep us informed, because of lot of us are interested.

12. Shelby

Gold Member

13. MattBrick

MattBrick Member

Albums:
    Hey, don't feel bad
    you know you have a bigger penis than him anyway :)

14. Damiaen Michaels

Albums:
    Hey All,

Sorry it took me a couple to get back to ya. I came home, went to the gym and beat the ever-living-hell out of a punching bag (and lifted a crapload of weights) to take out my anger. Got home and was talking to family and friends in TX, more on that in a couple.

Pecker: To bring up an old catch-phrase "Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Peckis?" I am not on the east coast (would like to be) doing the news. Though I won't be in AK much longer either.

DeeBlack: Actually the bosses were cool with my surfing LPSG, as long as it didn't interfere with my job. MySpaces were OK too.

Mindseye: I did think about the recommendation thing, but I thought, my tapes will speak for me....then I actually, for about 2mins, had a change of heart....but couldn't get over how pissed I was. My emotions took me on that one.

ByranLyte: I had gone through "Random THoughts" post and seen that "yungnhung" was from Alaska, sent an IM saying it was good to see another Alaskan on LPSG and then I got called in employment and was told of my demotion, so it was weird timing. I did think about the two weeks thing....but my emotions got the best of me. Weird, cause they rarely do. I know I burnt some bridges, but karma has a way of biting you in the ass and this kid and KTUU is going to get it bad.

Sam1070: Don't worry, I ain't going nowhere:smile:

Shelby: I heard that on the radio the day after she "quit that bitch" and it still makes me laugh:biggrin1: .

MattBrick: :biggrin1: :biggrin1: Damn right!

To you all: Thanks for your comments, it has made me think and feel better.

Now, I was talking to my best friend, and his Dad got me my first job (in radio) in Alpine, Texas. Their news director/lead reporter just quick, so guess who was offered the job. God, I love having lots o' friends. So, I am heading back to Texas, back to Marathon and making the 45min trip to work daily. It works out, cause my parents, brothers, sisters, and friends are there, so it'll be cool. I will have essentially the same job, but just on radio. It will give me sometime to clear my head and get over the demotion thing. I will make my way back into TV news, but for now, radio news is just fine.

Hey, where else am I going to be able to go out to the ranches and report about cattle and hang out with the cowboys (yum) and cowgirls (double yum) and do I job I love in a town where I grew up? So, this Texas boy is putting his boots and hat back on and heading off to the border (Marathon is about 75 miles from the US/Mexico border).

So, if you are ever in Marathon, I will be the one in the black and red beat-up ol' Dodge pickup with my hat....blasting Linkin Park:biggrin1: .

See ya nexttime from Texas.

Rock on,

Damiaen
    Texas, here I come! WhooHoo!

15. Damiaen Michaels

Albums:
    Well, with a little help, I have my stuff being loaded into a plane as I type, and the compy is the last to go. My stuff will take a flight to Anchorage (from Akutan) and it will all be stuffed into a U-Haul and me (in my truck) and my friend up here (who I am paying $500) will drive the U-Haul to Texas. Once he gets there, I will get him a flight back home.

So, this will be my last post....til Monday. I expect to get there by Monday and have the compy out by Monday Night. So, take care all, my next post will be from North Avenue H in Marathon (my new apt).

Rock on,

Damiaen
    WHOOHOO!:biggrin1:
    can you tell I am excited?

16. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

To be blunt; yes, you did the right thing. Sometimes you just have to go with your feelings. I have done it more than once and not once regretted it. There will be something else that comes along. (reading your posts it already has... see, I was right again.:biggrin1: ) By the way I like your new avatar from badgerbadgerbadger.com

In this case what it has done is force the station to give the kid the position sooner than what was planned and without having him train the kid. I have once trained my replacement when I was screwed and gave notice and suffice to say it did not leave a good taste.

****happy moving.****

17. Damiaen Michaels

Albums:
    Hey All,

Reporting for a TA (TravelCenter of America) Truck Stop in along I-40 (they gots Wi-Fi)....and in the middle of a massive thunderstorm....I am not going anywhere anytime soon.

But I am at least in Texas, Amarillo to be exact. So, I am almost home...>WHOOHOOO!

Waiting on my food here at the Buckhorn (that is the sitdown restaurant here), thought I would post right quick. I am having a steak (damned good steak here).

I should, depending on the weather and home much I speed, should be home by about 8am CST. Hopefully, I don't get a ticket or in a wreck. The cats would be seriously pissed.

Reporting live from the TA Center at Exit 74 off I-40 outside Amarillo, I'm Damiaen Michaels.....now where the hells my food?!:biggrin1:

Rock on,

Damiaen

18. Damiaen Michaels

Albums:
    Sorry, the above post went through twice for some reason.

Rock on,

Damiaen

FOOD'S HERE! WHOOHOOO!

19. Damiaen Michaels

Albums:
    Hey All,

I am officially setup here in Marathon. Sorry it took me so long to get back to letting ya know I got here OK. Had some wicked weather here and the internet service (via cable) was knocked out, so, obviously it is back.

Got a nice 1 bedroom house (small, but that's OK) and it is sweet as hell...am going to see if I can buy the thing, but for now rent is good. I thought my brother was going to get me an apt., but he surprised me.

So, I am getting ready for my first day of work. I start late this morning, but tomorrow morning, I will be on the air from 5am to 10am, 7 days a week, for KVLF-AM's "Full Service Morning Show". They do local and state news, with national from ABC and ag/farm news, with local and national sports and weather. Same lineup for like 25 years. So, I will be reading the news/ag news and giving the "Fark News" from fark.com....whoohooo.

So, I am settled in. Thanks to you all for your comments.

Rock on,

Damiaen

Draft saved Draft deleted