Were Most Gay Men Sports Challenged Youth?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Jul 27, 2008.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

If you're gay what was your participation and involvement like in sports when you were a kid?

I'm wondering if most gay guys were poor at sports when they were young. What was your experience with team sports or organized sports growing up?

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Not me... I excelled in Track & Field during my Junior & High School days. Was a sprinter and actually won a state championship. Also did Karate for a year or two. I certainly don't have the same speed or flexibility like I used to, but I do make it up in other areas. ;)

3. Rubber_JonnyN

Rubber_JonnyN New Member

I was pretty crap at 'manly' sports such as football and rugby and I simply just didn't like cricket.
    I was good at swimming, badminton, hockey, dodgeball and trampolining.

4. daddyknows

daddyknows New Member

Albums:
    loved sports cause I loved cock...go team, rah, rah!

5. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    My HS sucked at providing us with variety and choices. It was a whole semester of this or that. If you sucked at, say, track, you'd flunk the whole class.

I pretty much sucked at the time but because of it I made up for it in college with a revenge (not coincidentally because PE was no longer required).

In fact I am in much greater shape now than most of the jocks who ruled HS then (many are preceded by beer bellies now...sweet revenge :veryhappy:).

6. SteveHd

Gold Member

I don't know if "most gay guys were poor at sports" but it seems that way based on the responses so far.

You can me to the list of sports-impaired. Wasn't good at them and didn't like them. I hated P.E..

7. Rubber_JonnyN

Rubber_JonnyN New Member

What's HS?
    & yeah, it used to be like that until you get into year 10 where you could choose what you wanted to do.

8. JustAsking

Gold Member

Only slightly relevant, but I sucked at all sports but I am not gay. I just suck at sports.

I can say that I am a Jane Austen fan, though. Does that count?

9. uncut1234

uncut1234 New Member

i wouldnt doubt it.. not saying that was the main thing that would contribute to someone being gay... but i could imagine it would help, being part of sports at a young age teaches you alot of stuff, i couldnt imagine not having been part of it
    team sports mainlly i mean

10. koval

Gold Member

HS here pretty much involved football (soccer), Gaelige (Irish Football), along with the usual track and field sports. My favorite sport that I excelled in was gymnastics and basketball as I sucked in the other sports. :dunno:

11. Jason

Gold Member

High School - ie American-speak for Secondary School.

12. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I did lots of dribbling and ball playing while I was a youth. Even played with my bat and got on 3rd base a few times.

13. earllogjam

Gold Member

Dodgeball? You're gay? I think dodgeball is affectionately called "cream the queers."

I don't think reading Jane Austen novels qualifies for any PE credit JA. Not even in a Richard Simmons gym class.

I think that the lines between queers and jocks are formed very early in life for most gay guys. I know very few gay guys who played for team sports and were accepted as part of the team. That's why I started this thread.
    I was athletic in high school but not on team sports. To this day I don't have any interest in following football or baseball unless it is a winning season for the home team.

14. NCbear

Gold Member

Soccer. Lots of soccer. Some bicycling, a tiny little bit of tennis, lots of swimming. Some running. Lots of individual sports, few team sports.

No football (foolish parents didn't want me to get my neck broken or my teeth knocked out, so they let me do a full-contact sport--soccer--without helmet or pads). :rolleyes: No track, though two cousins my same year ran track. No basketball (tall but rather clumsy as a fast-growing teen). No golf (which is not a sport but a game).

And oddly enough, marching band, in high school and college (trombone player), but no drama club, gymnastics, or fashion merchandising. Or ballroom dancing. Or ice skating--probably the gayest sport of all. :tongue:

NCbear (who knows how to change fuses, oil, and tires)

15. Supersized

Supersized New Member

Baseball, basketball, football, soccer, all the team, social sports i was never interested in. I'm still paying for that to this day. I had been more interested in gynastics, karate, and cross country, solitary sports. I do think the gay sex is an alternative way of relating to other men. Maybe, if i could have thrown a football things would have turned out differently. If I do wind up with any sons, I would definitely encourage and support them playing a team sport.

16. invisibleman

Gold Member

I wasn't a team sports guy. I didn't take ANY Physical Ed. classes in high school. It wasn't a major requirement. I will tell you this in junior high I was really good at archery and shooting BB guns. REAL GOOD. My mom didn't like the idea of me shooting arrows in the backyard and she was always afraid that I would kill somebody with those things. She gave me five red WHAM-O brand boomerangs. I lost all but one. I still have it in my foot locker.

17. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't say that I ever had a problem with sports, although I like women almost as much as men (take that how you will). I played HS football for 2yrs and then baseball for my senior year.

18. NCbear

Gold Member

P.S. Love to go camping, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, sailing. Have done some archery. Enjoy volleyball, particularly with people who know how to set and spike. Would like to learn how to shoot handguns and rifles (for accuracy, not hunting).

Would love to get certified in scuba for helping lover with underwater photography. Would also love to do rappelling, rock climbing, snow (and water) skiing, bicycle touring (and camping), hang gliding, small plane flying, and hot air ballooning before I get too old and/or I lose my courage (or foolhardiness, depending :biggrin1:).

No roller skates or inline skates. No ice skates. No skateboards. No Jackass-style stunts that end up with broken bones or smashed testicles. Definitely no logrolling, pig wrestling, pie eating, or hot dog eating.
    :eek22:

NCbear (who in rereading the last sentence of his post is reminded of the hilarious T-shirt he once saw: "Paddle faster! I hear banjos!" :cool:)

19. leonceswim

leonceswim Active Member

Albums:
    look at the pics in each gallery. if they have abs, that gives you a hint that sports wasnt a challenge to them...

20. Principessa

Gold Member

What a bizarre question, especially coming from a man who didn't just wake up gay yesterday. I'm straight and I know that lack of interest in sports or ability to excel in them has nothing to do with ones sexuality. Heck, I even know a straight girl who played softball on her school team in high school and college. :tongue: :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted