Were Most Gay Men Sports Challenged Youth?

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
not realy gay, but bisexual, but

I SUCKED AT SPORTS. oh man, i was terrible. it took me forever to learn any techniques. i sucked at everything! the most i could do half decently was being defence in a soccer game and dodgeball. anything else was just plain terrible.

i ALWAYS got picked last whenever it came to teams. man, that used to suck.

When I was in first grade my parents bought me a Road Runner windbreaker that I loved and wore as much as I possibly could. I thought it meant I could run faster than anyone. As a result, I ran a lot. I ran all the time. I could outrun any other kid on the playground. We had gym. It was fun.

In third grade I transferred to the local parochial school, St. Stephen's-St. Edward's, and my first gym teacher was great. Then she went and got pregnant and never came back.

In her place this demon spawn in polyester pants made my life a living hell: Stella Smith.

Stella was a repressed lesbian. I know that now, but didn't when I was a kid. She wore men's clothing for gym class and decided that military calisthenics were what we should be doing, not playing ball or having fun with tunnels and parachutes. For whatever reason, she took an immediate dislike to me. Maybe her gaydar was going off, I don't know. She perpetually criticized everything I did, punished me for imaginary infractions, and when SHE would pick teams, she'd leave me to last. Every year I hoped she would get replaced but she never did, and her hatred of me increased as time passed. This didn't surprise me because her best friend in school was another repressed lesbian nun who hated me even more. In our last three years she focused exclusively on having us do military marching. We'd line-up in rows and march in place, march in formation, march to Sousa music. It was about as bizarre and twisted as I could imagine. By eighth grade she had beaten any enthusiasm for physical activity right out of me. When the time came to do our, "Drill," for parents. She had the cruelty to announce that everyone whose name she said would be in the drill and to go stand over by the wall. Well, she named everyone except me and then went on to congratulate everyone. I spent the rest of the class on the sidelines watching everyone and THEN had the balls to try to suspend me after class for not participating when she herself barred me from doing so. My mother was shocked but, as usual, did nothing about it; more upset she had to leave work to go to school and meet with her and be inconvenienced then about how I was treated. Always it was a litany of, "Well you must have done SOMETHING to deserve what happened!"

When my sister started the same school and received the same treatment from that gorgon fucker (among others), FINALLY my parents woke-up to the fact that maybe I was actually telling the truth about the kind of horrors that went on there and they pulled my sister out after only one year.

Stella Smith was a fist class cunt. She is one of the few people I hate beyond any measure and if I ever find that evil thing's grave I will spit on it and damn her to an eternity of pain.

When I went to boarding school I was so averse to PE of any sort, so convinced I was unathletic, pathetic, and so terrified of similar abuse that my first term there I chose to do inedpendent PE which basically consisted of doing nothing other than hanging out and occasionally playing ball with other kids who took the same elective. That wasn't a total loss however because it was during that time when I nearly had the dorm to myself, that I and one of my other classmates discovered the joys of the male body with each other :naughty:.

I never really got over it and to this day I shrink at team sports or anything that involves physical competition. I've had some fun times playing basketball, and had one great squash match with my best friend who empowered me to play as best as I could through encouragement, but on the whole, it's tough. Otherwise I always was the team manager or played thirds. I still hated it.

One other aspect that bothered me was the whole gang showers thing. In my first two dorms we had individual stalls, but in my last two years the only showers were the gang showers. They terrified me and I had avoided the gym because of them and had always showered in the dorms even though it wasn't allowed. Now I had no choice. I had to use gang showers no matter where I went. I bit my lip and just did it, praying nobody would say anything about how poorly I was hung. For nearly two years nobody did until just before graduation when our class had these joke awards which were a tradition and I received, "The Smallest Dick in School" award. As they explained, only one kid in school was smaller than I was but that was only because he was a freshman who hadn't started puberty and so it wouldn't be fair to include him. I pretended it didn't bother me even though it did. I made some jokes and let it go at that.

So between the sports themselves, the douchebag jocks (which I didn't encounter until I went to a college that was just like the high schools I went to boarding school to get away from), and the ghastly gang showers, which I now handle without any problem (go me!), my idea of sports is something close to a concentration camp of insecurities.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I'm straight and I know that lack of interest in sports or ability to excel in them has nothing to do with ones sexuality. :tongue: :cool:

Which would explain the plethora of overtly gay men who play professional hockey, football, baseball, soccer, basketball, and rugby. :rolleyes:

Your sexuality may not have anything to do with athletic ability but it sure can get in the way of reaching that potential especially if it means fitting into a homo hostile culture.

That's why I used the term "Challenged" in the thread.

gayguy777

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate sports. I never have liked them but I have 2 str8 brothers and my dad who hate all sports also. I remember in gym in JH they made EVERYONE try out for track and field and my PE teacher would just tell me to go sit on the benches and not waist his and everyone elses time. I hate that sorry fucker. I think the one time I ever really wanted to and almost did get up and kick his ass was when he told me to get me that if he ever wanted to kill me he would just make me walk 2 inches. I use to play football with my brothers and there friends and my friends and was always the last one picked and if it came to there being a person sit out I was always told to go home. I love riding bikes though yeah a fat guy like me looks odd on a bike but hey its fun!

Ugh! I'm such a moron. I didn't answer the question.

Yes, I think being gay had something to do with it. Jocks are ubermales in our society and those same ubermales usually display as homophobic to a greater degree than other guys. Locker rooms seem to attract guys who have something to prove about their self-perceived masculinity. It also doesn't help that sports are usually a high-contact activity and that sporting events are book-ended by public same sex nudity in a room reeking of sweat and phermones. The last thing the closeted gay kid in school wants is to be turned-on in that kind of setting where they would be at the mercy of the bully jocks. It's too easy for things to go wrong very quickly. By the time kids are participating in organized sports, their classmates will already have an idea of who is gay and who isn't; who are the pussies and wimps, and who are the real men, so it usually means you're not starting the sporting process with a clean slate.

Oh and one other thing. Sports bore me to tears, particularly watching them on TV. However, I watch the Olympics voraciously. I'll watch everything from basketball to synchronized swimming to dressage. It doesn't matter. I record what I can't watch right away and constantly flip among the channels.

I think what intrigues me is that Olympic events actually mean something. Unlike every other sporting event, these are the best from around the world competing at once. When these men and women make records at the Olympics, it's an advancement for humanity, not some stupid annually allotted prize.

Last edited by a moderator:

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I hate sports. I never have liked them but I have 2 str8 brothers and my dad who hate all sports also. I remember in gym in JH they made EVERYONE try out for track and field and my PE teacher would just tell me to go sit on the benches and not waist his and everyone elses time. I hate that sorry fucker. I think the one time I ever really wanted to and almost did get up and kick his ass was when he told me to get me that if he ever wanted to kill me he would just make me walk 2 inches. I use to play football with my brothers and there friends and my friends and was always the last one picked and if it came to there being a person sit out I was always told to go home. I love riding bikes though yeah a fat guy like me looks odd on a bike but hey its fun!

I know exactly how you feel. I had a teacher just like that. When my team of 3 people and me were supposed to run a relay, the teacher (who was giving "advice" said,

"well, you're going to want to have Will run first because he's obviously your slowest and weakest member, and he'd only hold you back."

He said more after that, but i totally was stuck on that phrase. I didn't want to get in trouble by shouting or cursing at him, but i stared at him for a while. I was told later on that i gave him the most dirtiest, indignant look.

It wasn't until about a couple of months later when he made a similar comment that i asked him what the hell was his problem? it was already a huge taboo to be speaking to a teacher that way, but i was too pissed to care. We walked off the field to somewhere more secluded where i told him in my nicest manner as possible that he was basically an asshole for saying shit like that.

geez, i'm getting mad just thinking about it.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I never played in team sports as a kid. But, boy could I run. My older brother held the 1 mile track record in our state and I could out run him. Our coach tried to persuade me to join the track team, but I wouldn't because I didn't want to break my brother's record.

I'd probably keel over dead if I tried to run a mile now :)

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In high school when team captains were taking it in turns to select members for their team i was often picked second or third to last but never the very last so one day i asked my team captain why this was always the case and he turned around and said this:- the other poor players are just pathetic whereas i make a good defender because i could be relied upon when kicking the ball to kick it off the pitch!
I tried my best at sports but the only one i really enjoyed was rounders (similiar to baseball) but we rarely play it except in summer.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I got complimentry Cs in physical education; I was no good at anything that involved balls. I couldn't throw a ball, catch a ball, bat a ball, dribble a ball, or shoot baskets. Partly it was a case of differential development. If one is no good at things, opportunities for practice become limitted, and the difference between the most skilled and least skilled increases. I was always close to the last chosen for teams. Being smaller than the other kids didn't help either. My mother several times told me that she wanted me to wear something more substantial than a T shirt so that people couldn't see how skinny I was. Obviously that did not help my self-confidence. When teams were distinguished by having one team remove shirts, I cringed if I had to remove my shirt. I was so traumatized that I'd even break out into a cold sweat when I had to walk past the gym. My total lack of self-confidence resulting from all this led to my being bullied frequently, and I couldn't deal with that either.

The teachers assumed that I was not physically fit, but they were totally wrong on that; I simply lacked game skills. When we had a chin-up contest, I won. When we had to run a mile, I finished #2; the guy who won had been on the track team. The real reason that I did well was that while the others complained, I ran. When a couple friends and I took a long bicycle trip, upon arrival they compained about how tired they were while I wanted to do something else. So actually, I was quite physically fit, no thanks to physical education class.

I had wanted to take up weight lifting, but my father saw no point in it and wouldn't permit it. I'm sure that it would have greatly helped, if only by providing me with more confidence about my body image. Years later, when I was on my own, I did take up weight lifting; people noticed the difference in my physical appearance and I often over-heard comments on it at the beach. It provided a considerable boost to my self-confidence and I'm sure that I'd have been much better off if I'd been able to do it in high school. I still make a point of keeping myself fit and continue to work out with weights.

Regarding gay men not being good at team sports, I question whether that's actually true. Many cities have various amateur athletic teams, including base ball, basket ball, volley ball, etc. etc. Back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was not uncommon for a gay team to beat a police team at volley ball and other games. At that time, the police used to find that very embarrassing, but I think that they've got over it.

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Does Cow Tipping Count?

I used to LOVE soccer, volleyball, and Dodgeball... but I had to reserve from them due to other classmates being bullies, and excluding me from the rest of the group because I was different. ( I was one of the geeks - not one of the cool people)
So, I didn't participate much in any sports.
I was asked by our senior football coach in HS to play Football my junior year. I said to him "Why, so the rest of the guys can use me as a punchbag to get their kicks?"
He didn't reply.

When teams were distinguished by having one team remove shirts, I cringed if I had to remove my shirt. I was so traumatized that I'd even break out into a cold sweat when I had to walk past the gym. My total lack of self-confidence resulting from all this led to my being bullied frequently, and I couldn't deal with that either.

Amen Brother

Last edited:

tom water

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Love sport, hate competition and foot ball, still I wan the county sky competition when I was 17. But I cannot stand competition and I hate also watching sport on TV.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Grew up with a dad that was a massive sports nut. Which meant I got forced to sit in front of the tv with him on weekends to watch Wonderful World of Sport...fucking hated it then and HATE watching tv sport now. Which makes living in Australia tough sometimes, cuz they are fucking mad for Aussie Rules footy. Give me rugby any day. Now there are the REAL men in sport!

Was a small kid growing up, so got run over by the bigger guys in football, baseball, basketball...played them all from 10-14 but since I didn't really get my growth spurt til 16, was crap at it. Didn't help that my dad's way of teaching me sport was to fling a ball at me at high speed and if I caught it, great. If it hit me in the face, then he'd do it again.

However, I LOVED soccer, tennis, and swimming which I did very well, and competed all through high school. Gave me an excuse to be in the shower rooms when the football players were showering up after practice...;P

Because I played at a fairly high level, even though I was a bit brainy, they couldn't peg me as a 'fag' or a 'jock'. Kinda rode between the two and so I think I confused the jocks. LOL

Wasn't until I turned 25 that I discovered weight training...So, I'm not a little guy anymore, folks. But I still don't prefer watching sport and would rather play it, especially with my male friends. Love the bonding- gay/straight/bi makes no never mind!!!

So contrary to popular belief, gay men DO play sport at an early age. I think, though, many of us didn't learn that competition and a healthy expression of aggression is good for the male soul until we were a bit older. But we all get there eventually! I LOVE being a guy!!!

D

deleted213967

What's HS?
& yeah, it used to be like that until you get into year 10 where you could choose what you wanted to do.

"HS" is High School.

To the OP's point though, it seems true that many gay guys prefer individual sports. It is NOT a coincidence.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
This thread reminds of the Ian Robert's story. He's an openly gay rugby player in Australia who is very butch (I saw him out a few times when I used to go clubbing in Sydney). In his biography, he talks about his nightmarish struggles with team acceptance.

There are a lot more closeted gay men who play "macho" sports than we could ever imagine. They will never disclose their true sexuality because of the horrific consequences to endure if they should to do so. But, again, many men of all walks of life in our society are closeted and will always be, even if many of them are mostly heterosexual. What man wants to admit that he feels sexual attraction to other men in this day and age? We're in the two thousands, but male homosexuality is still very culturally taboo and will be light years from now as well.

I hate most sports with a passion, even though I was athletically gifted as a child. I excelled in baseball and tennis. I still like tennis to some degree. All other sports, I loathe, particulary golf, football, and basketball.

I LOATHE JOCK CULTURE!:mad:

Last edited: