Were the good ol' days really that good?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, May 14, 2007.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Were the olden days that are romanticised really that great? Or are we victims of a media dictated nostalgia and our own selective memory?

Do you remember how it was in the 50's, 60's, 70's? What was better back then that we have lost today?

The only thing I can think that might have been better back then was nude swimming at the YMCA and I never got to experience it. Disco- mnyah, Drive-ins, Golden Age of Sex.....hmmmm?

I remember back in the day....... boy that was great when......

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

One word: marketing. Thesis: there is no real new music, culture, fashion, style etc. (lots of new technology, but that is not the same) so they have to sell us old culture to sell us stuff.

Think about it, everything is retro - new punk, new mod, new hip-hop, new electro - but can anyone name a music style that is throroughly Noughties and not some kind of throwback? And Hollywood - all these remakes?! Don't get me started on those!! What about fashion - when did you last see something truly new?

So they blast out all these 'I love the 70's' (or 60's / 80's / 90's - UK BBC2 even had a retrospective nostagia show on the year 2000 for fuck's sake!) and we are made to feel that the things of our childhood, adolescance, college years were safe and better - 'safe' being the optimium word in this ('Western') modern existance of mortgages and global warming, paedophilia and oil&ideology conflicts.

Talking of 'safe' - is it just UK and Irish tv (French tv less so, but it is on the rise) or do Canada / America / Aus / rest of Europe 's tv stations now broadcast an inordinate amount of government infomercials telling us how easily we can die, of everything - From having a drink with friends, to having a fuck, to having a splif/recreationals, driving under the influence - all the things the babyboomers did with wild abandon are now banned! By them, when they got into government! Maybe the members of that generation here can explain their peers... how come you all could ride bikes without helmets, go bareback and get wrecked?

I'll stop cos I'm going off topic and starting to rant...

Now you can't afford to fake all the drugs your parents used to take
    Because of their mistakes you'd better be wide awake
    Elvis Costello

3. Blocko

Blocko Member

There are *new* noughties things, but they are generally unnamed, or don't float into the mainstream bilge pump. The simple reason is that which you stated... however to say that there is *nothing* is very hard on the artists and young people doing *something*.

The independent and alternative scene does exist. For example, the earlier noughties had culture jamming and the new sense of fashionable irony (the closest parallel being pop art, but not really the same thing).

Music is another great example where "something new" is happening, if you but listen. Sure, bands have influences in the past (as did all the 50s->90s) bands, but a lot of them are extremely original... take Bloc Party (now heading towards the mainstream) or the Knives.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

There are plenty of people doing *something* and doing it very well - but there is nothing like the newness that was punk, rap, electro, Elvis Presley (to go back a bit)

I do go out and look for new art, music, culture in general - but I find nothing that is genuinely new - it all seems a rehash to me - maybe that is part of getting older.

I've heard bloc party and the knives and they're alright, sure, great - but what is it about them you think has never been done before?

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

If you were white, male, heterosexual, protestant, middle or upper middle class, closed-minded, sexually repressed, a citizen of the United States, not of draft age, and living in a constant state of denial... then sure, the good ol' days were just grand.

6. Blocko

Blocko Member

Yeah, but what in particular about punk or rap hadn't been done before? Spoken word was put to music in the 50s by beatniks. Punk is just a mix of folk with hard rock (take a Woody Guthrie song, add distortion).

Even Elvis was largely drawn from gospel music.

Bloc Party uses a fairly unique style... the closest I've ever heard is Gang of Four and they didn't really come close to taking electro-dance music and fusing it with punk playing real instruments. If you listen to the song "positive tension", it's a level of layered Rhythm you very rarely hear outside of electric music.

The knives fuse very odd harmony combinations in their music, again with a fusion sound that hasn't quite been pulled off before.

7. Love-it

Gold Member

Times were more innocent, in the 50's and 60's children played in the streets and w rode our bicycles all over the country and in the city, which was eight miles from house, now the city limits are 20 miles away in the opposite direction. There was more open space and smaller crowds at any event or attraction, national parks and forests were wilder, less accessible with fewer conveniences catering to the atv, skidoo, seadoo crowd. Less noise and smog at least before the mid 60's.

But I also remember the nuclear air raid drills in elementary school in the 50's that faded away in the 60's.

8. gordeux2006

gordeux2006 Member

Albums:
    I had a cousin die from polio, for want of a vaccine, another in 1961 from kidney disease, for want of dialysis, got bullied at school, beaten up by siblings, had a mother bombed out on precribed tranquilizers and a father with a gambling problem.. yes I remenber the good old swingin' sixties, those were the days!

9. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

That's pretty much it. The first time you encounter it, everything's new.

10. B_big dirigible

For one thing, when you called a business or government office back then, a bona fide human might actually pick up the phone. Now we spend much of the day hearing, "listen carefully, as the menu options have changed ...", apparently recorded by a card-carrying member of the Slow Talkers of America.

11. B_big dirigible

I sure don't miss those nasty cardboard cans that motor oil came in back then.

I do, however, miss classical liberalism, which pretty much died in the '70s, to be replaced by the faux-liberal "lite" which trivializes American political consciousness to this day.

Cheap balsa wood gliders, too. Those were neat. We still have them but they aren't cheap.

12. monstro

monstro New Member

Thousands of years ago Ecclesiastes was bitching about how there was nothing new under the sun. I'm sure even before that there was some old Sumerian coot complaining that clay pots were better back in his day!

Now is all there is. Make the most of it. :cool:

13. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Dig this, man; The good old days nowadays is all perspective. My view of GOD's was the 80's where I grew up. great music, decent politics, and styles out the ass.

Dig it, Manly blisters emphathised it more than I could have, but hey, you'll get point.

14. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Frankly, in the 1950's, I enjoyed the fact that Mom did her household duties while wearing a Balenciaga gown, pearls and high heels, Dad drove the newest DeSoto to a mysterious office job that paid mucho $, my brothers and sisters all got along like Stepfords, we knew the mailman and the milkman by name, school was two blocks away and the bad guys wore black hats.

15. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

For me personally, the good ole days were great.

16. MH07

MH07 Member

Albums:
    Pretty accurate.

It was nice not to have to worry about the Zodiac Killer showing up in your neighborhood to slice up little kids and eat them for dinner! :eek:

On the other hand, as someone else mentioned, the "duck and cover" nuclear air raid drills at school were not much fun. My Dad was USAF SAC, and during the Cuban Missile Crisis he sent Mom, us kids, and his mother in law (and the 2 dogs, parakeet, ginea pig, and hamsters) to live with his parents. He didn't want us at a "Ground Zero" site. We thought we'd never see him again.

The 50's ended with the Kennedy assasination. Things were never the same after that.

Many, many, many of my friends had parents who were carrying on the Cold War inside their own homes; Moms zoned out on Valium and booze, Dad distant and removed.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, maybe if we could find some better method to resolve disputes than having contests to see which country can kill the most of the other countries' people, we might have a chance to have a couple generations of human beings who aren't so disassociative they can't deal with reality at all. We need religion and drugs to heal our wounds because we just fucking can't stop inflicting them on each other. Shameful, truly.

Television was still new in the 50s. It wasn't that serial killers and child molesters didn't exist, we just hadn't heard much about them yet. Besides, there was still a "suck it up" cultural attitude- soldiers home from war found it better to be distant than communicate their feelings, which would have been seen as weak. Women who had been running their households plus the country, but were suddenly demoted back to being housewives were feeling a cognitive dissonance that pretty much would require either drugs or therapy- and therapy is for "crazy" people. Valium took off.

The 90s were better for minorites of all sorts though. This is the first decade since I've been alive that we've actually regressed. I am angry as a human being, but I'm embarassed as an American.

18. Shelby

Gold Member

Being a total slut having bareback sex nutting off in countless birth control pilled babes was pretty fun.

Being free to go where ever I wanted and do as I please between sunup and sundown (when I wasn't in school) starting at about age 8 with little or no fear of human predators was nice too.

The racism was bad though.

19. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

There is no more danger for kids today than there was in the 50s or 60s, the only real difference is that people today are more paranoid about it and talk about it more. Child abusers, pedophiles, rapists, street gangs, etc were not invented in the 1980s. It is true that there is more fear today, granted, but should there be? That's a harder point to prove. By and large I'd say parents today are way too fucking paranoid. Some of this has come from positive sources and some of it has positive results. For instance instead of denying or ignoring the fact that child abuse takes place today, we attempt to correct it. Instead of choosing not to talk about such unseemly things as pedophiles, we are able to take intelligent precautions against these people preying on our children. On the other hand, much of this fear is fueled by the 24 hour media saturation that we have to live with today. Media that thrives on sensationalism and fear mongering. It disgusts me how blatantly exploitative the newscasts are these days. It seems like every single day there is some new threat that is going to kill you or your children and you just have to watch the nightly news to find out what it is. Of course exploitative journalism is nothing new, either, but I do believe it has reached new heights (and new lows) these days. This kind of fear is not helpful. Nobody you know has ever died of mad cow disease. There is no evidence of anyone EVER putting razor blades or poison or anything of the sort in halloween candy. Not everyone who uses the internet is a pervert (present company excepted).

20. Shelby

Gold Member

edited.

I agree with you though.

Draft saved Draft deleted