Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Whoa...that might be one of the hardest questions in the forum right now. I guess it really depends on how you define masculinity. Saying that men are loosing there masculinity to women (the way that i read your question) does not seem correct to me. I think that traditional definition of masculinity which de facto imposed itself on women is no longer valid and the definition of what is masculine is being redefined leaving a lot of men in the dark as what they are supposed to be. That is as far as I have gathered my thoughts currently; hopefully there are some good answers to this...it is certainly a question that needs to be talked about.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Ugh, what do you even mean by "masculinity" and "femininity"? These are culturally defined terms in the main and culture is subject to change and so are the concepts it engenders.

umami_tsunami

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There can be so many ways to define masculinity. I agree that the male role in society is changing faster than ever. And rightly so. Women of the the 20th century for the first time in human history had access to birth control and became able to earn their own living. Advances in technology (mainly in the developed world) allowed women to not only survive, but thrive and become successful without the protection and consent of men.

In the west, rational thinking and secular progress has fostered a move away from the disgusting biblical traditions of women as chattel and forced recognition of equality. The right to own land, the right to work, the right to vote, the right to NOT be forced to bear children are all relatively recent developments. It’s shocking that we never ratified the ERA back in the 70’s. Women still don’t earn the same as men for equal work.

I would love to be at this debate

Here is the orginal article in The Atlantic that began this dialogue a couple of years ago. She makes some very good points and cites some eye opening statistics. Women are clearly better at communicating, cooperating, generally getting things done in a collectively beneficial way than men are. Men are more aggressive, egotistical and unwilling to compromise. We would probably be better served by more females in government, business and law.

Now, if your talking strictly about male physical characteristics, I think that our food processing, poor diet, sedentary lifestyle and chemical dependence has more to do with this changing than societal role reversal.

qwerty1234567

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
A lot of western men seem to be losing their masculinity whilst the the women are increasingly masculine

I feel its a bad thing,

Your views please

Not really. I'd say women are seen more often than previously in positions that are usually associated with males.

B_theaussieone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It seems the original poster thinks that men loosing masculinity is associated with men loosing power and women being masculinised as women gaining power. He's partially correct, masculinity is about power, in the animal kingdom the alpha male is the huge silverback. He is the most masculine, no matter if the silverback is fat etc and the adolescent male gorillas are fitter and stronger. same in human society, the masculine male are the ceo's, the dictators, the ultra-wealthy. the people who run things. the other men are brainwashed into thinking power is not masculine, or that only a certain unimportant features are masculine, like muscles or how many women you screw, your penis size even something stupid as how much u drink. Thats just to keep a majority of men uninterested in seeking power and disturbing the status quo.

Real masculinity is all about power, so in that sense the masculine men , the wealthy, the powerful do feminise other men, in order to stabalise their own power.

Why do you think women like wealthy men? they like power. Power is an afrodisiac.