Westlife Bulge!

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They've only sold about 90 million albums. They are very good at what they do. They are also very good live. My B/F surprised me with a trip to London and a Westlife concert. I was very impressed, they sound just as good live as they do on a cd. And of course their all cute as can be.

I don't understand why they can't seem to break the US / Canadian market.

• Love
Reactions: pielover

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They've only sold about 90 million albums. They are very good at what they do. They are also very good live. My B/F surprised me with a trip to London and a Westlife concert. I was very impressed, they sound just as good live as they do on a cd. And of course their all cute as can be.

I don't understand why they can't seem to break the US / Canadian market.

disclaimer: albums sales DO NOT equal talent

good management+good cheek-bone structure+nice abs=high record sales

i pose this question any time an artists' success is used to determine their level of talent. if they recorded the same exact songs, peformed them the same exact way, but were overweight and ugly would they still be as successful??

DadsAreUs

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

i pose this question any time an artists' success is used to determine their level of talent. if they recorded the same exact songs, peformed them the same exact way, but were overweight and ugly would they still be as successful??

Agreed. By that measure, McDonalds sells the best beef in America. And the most nutritious beverage one can drink is Coca Cola.

ANd George Bush was the best person we could have elected president in either 2000 or 2004.

MAJOR2910

Sexy Member
Media
Westlife HAVE NOT sold 90mill albums at all! Their manager Louis walsh plucks these figures out of his arse & suckers like u believe it. They still sell big in the UK because they shamelessly target the daytime TV audiences of bored housewives & old grannies who are too stupid to download it for free. The fact their cds are sold for about £6 in supermarkets also helps. They look rougher by the second & have no love for music at all. Its all about the dosh, always has been. They will never be respected or acknowledged as a great pop act like take that are.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Who the hell are you people talking about????

(Shameless attempt to get someone else to search and put up a link):biggrin1:

you don't remember LFO?!?!?! "new kids on the block had a bunch of hits, chinese food makes me sick, and i think its fly mumble mumble stutter forgot the words in the summer, in the summer"

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I totally hate you people for bashing Westlife, What ever!!! What's a boy band suppose to do when they are no longer boys. Split up and do singles? Or shoot them like a injured horse. All I know is at one point I had there cd in my deck for like 6 months. My favorites Kian and Nicky.

I teared up almost everytime I heard Flying without wings, until that dude from American Idol trashed the song. St-St-st - Studdard.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Um, okay. The circular logic here is maddening. :confused:

Nobody suggested that because Westlife is successful they are talented, or that because they are talented they are successful. I guess that's where you lost me right off the bat. I can discern you don't think they're talented, which is fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

You were surprised they still had a record deal and were touring, so Alex informed you that they sell a shitload of records. He included his opinion that he found the band to be entertaining pros, and obviously millions of other people agree with him, hence the band is very successful. However he did not suggest they are talented because they are successful. He informed you that they are very successful and indicated that he thinks they are talented. Two different things.

Obviously album sales do not equal talent (or lack thereof), that's been the case for at least 50 years. There are talented success stories, lucky success stories, and plenty of talented people who can't sell records.

Pretty people are more successful at enjoying pop music careers. That's also been the case for 50 years. Are all successful people pretty? No. Are all pretty people successful? No. Is prettiness a factor in whether or not someone can be successful? Yes.

However, looks don't have anything to do with talent either. But that appears to be the barometer you use to judge whether someone is talented:

If someone performs the same songs the same way then what difference does it make what they look like? Will an equally talented good looking person be more successful with the song? Yes. But what does that have to do with anything?

Pop music is by its very nature meant for mass consumption. More attractive products sell better. A pop music singer isn't required to be talented and never has been, but they are expected to be attractive. A talented songwriter is required to create successful pop music, and most pop music isn't written by the singer. So you appear to trying to make lemonade out of an artichoke and a can of hairspray.

By the way, many successful pop artists had absolutely horrible management. My favorite example of this is TLC, who at the height of their popularity had to declare bankruptcy. So you've oversimplified whatever argument you're trying to make to the point that it doesn't make sense.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Pretty people are more successful at enjoying pop music careers. That's also been the case for 50 years. Are all successful people pretty? No. Are all pretty people successful? No. Is prettiness a factor in whether or not someone can be successful? Yes.
that's just a better wording of what i tried to say.

However, looks don't have anything to do with talent either. But that appears to be the barometer you use to judge whether someone is talented:
you misunderstood. i was stating that there are many entertainers who sell BECAUSE they look good, inspite of the lack of talent

If someone performs the same songs the same way then what difference does it make what they look like? Will an equally talented good looking person be more successful with the song? Yes. But what does that have to do with anything?

it may not have anything to do with anything but i wrote it and you agree whats the big deal??

So you've oversimplified whatever argument you're trying to make to the point that it doesn't make sense.

lack of understanding doesn't equal lack of sense, if anything, i worded my post inefficiently.

if anything, you took more time to say the same exact thing i was trying to say and get to benefit from the spontaneity of my post.

bigtoad

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Um, what happened to a discussion about their lovely bulges??
(hee hee!)

• Love
Reactions: pielover

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
that's just a better wording of what i tried to say.

:cool:

you misunderstood. i was stating that there are many entertainers who sell BECAUSE they look good, inspite of the lack of talent

Ok. I was just really confused.

it may not have anything to do with anything but i wrote it and you agree whats the big deal??

No big deal. We both agree that talent isn't a gauge of success, just as looks aren't a gauge of talent. If your point was that looks are a factor in success, then yes we agree on that. Still not sure what that has to do with Westlife, unless you're implying the only reason why they have been successful is because of their looks. Which is a perfectly valid but disputable theory.

Now, Hilary Duff on the other hand... :biggrin1: {she's totally tone-deaf, in case anyone is interested to know - 2 of my best friends recorded a couple tracks with her and let's just say she pushed the limits of AutoTune}

So you've oversimplified whatever argument you're trying to make to the point that it doesn't make sense.

lack of understanding doesn't equal lack of sense, if anything, i worded my post inefficiently.

if anything, you took more time to say the same exact thing i was trying to say and get to benefit from the spontaneity of my post.

Spontaneity can be great but is only really useful if it also makes sense. :smile: A good chunk of my life has been spent in the music industry so this sort of topic (vis a vis talent vs success) obviously comes up, but I've never really understood why.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Um, what happened to a discussion about their lovely bulges??
(hee hee!)

Sorry. :redface: Back to the topic at (in) hand.

I seem to recall they did a nude photo shoot for Attitude a while back? Or am I mixing up my British boybands?

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
British, come now you don't know much about Westlife and if you think there british you are mixing your boy bands. You'd think a band signed by Simon Cowel would be know by someone in the music industry most of there life.

I do hope your not mixing up the band with the nude photo shoot though. Post links please.