Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are quite a few intriguing TV trailers floating about at the moment. The Defenders and Star Trek: Discovery have got potential as well. Although the latter looks to be of a lower budget, and my childhood can't get used to bald Klingons.

Reactions: Betty_Cocker

Betty_Cocker

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
There are quite a few intriguing TV trailers floating about at the moment. The Defenders and Star Trek: Discovery have got potential as well. Although the latter looks to be of a lower budget, and my childhood can't get used to bald Klingons.
Does this make me a tv junkie? Please say no

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Anyone watching Season 2?

I was a little worried coming off Season 1 that the change in tone would be jarring, but it's actually a pretty fluid transition so far.
I’m watching. I was worried too, but so far I am really absorbed. Tonight was really good.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Do you have any thoughts on the gender dynamics this season?
I hadn’t really thought about specifically, but now that you mention it....:grinning:

I actually almost hesitate to discuss it. Someone will jump all over it. However, in general, I think the creators of Westworld made a place where exaggerated traditional roles existed, and the guests had total control. When the hosts rebelled, who better to lead the rebellion than those at the bottom? The daughters and whores. They had the least amount of power. The farmer’s daughter, raped over and over. The whore, torn from her daughter. Arguably, the host men had no real power either, but they had more than the women. So it kind of makes sense from that point of view.

My two cents for now.

Reactions: TexanStar

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hadn’t really thought about specifically, but now that you mention it....:grinning:

I actually almost hesitate to discuss it. Someone will jump all over it. However, in general, I think the creators of Westworld made a place where exaggerated traditional roles existed, and the guests had total control. When the hosts rebelled, who better to lead the rebellion than those at the bottom? The daughters and whores. They had the least amount of power. The farmer’s daughter, raped over and over. The whore, torn from her daughter. Arguably, the host men had no real power either, but they had more than the women. So it kind of makes sense from that point of view.

My two cents for now.

I loved last night's episode. One of my favorites from both seasons.

D

deleted931509

I'll be honest, I gave up on Westworld about episode 6 of series 1, it just seemed a bit too sadistic. I mean, I fell in love with Dolores like everyone else, but I never liked that creepy guy who kept killing people. It just never made any sense. So should I keep going? I've heard that it's good if I can only be arsed to see those last few episodes of series 1? Is it good though?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In my opinion, Season 2 is better than the first one, but you have to stick through to it. It is pretty brutal but the story really pulls together in the end. And great female leads.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Me, either. Stupid. Does not make me want to watch another season.

Same. I could always change my mind, but that episode definitely didn't leave me wanting more.

It's not the first time a series I enjoyed had a terrible finale. I hated the series finale of Frasier. I didn't loathe the series finale of Seinfeld but I didn't love it either.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Same. I could always change my mind, but that episode definitely didn't leave me wanting more.

It's not the first time a series I enjoyed had a terrible finale. I hated the series finale of Frasier. I didn't loathe the series finale of Seinfeld but I didn't love it either.
Ditto on both for me, too.

I’ll probably watch Westworld but if the first episode isn’t excellent, I’m jumping ship.

DaveHaldolfsen

Experimental Member
Media
The timeline is all over the place. William thirty years before the rebellion and "William" thirty years after? When Dolores [Charlotte] left the park did she begin building bodies for all of the [souls] transmitted to wherever and did they take over the planet before "William" is probed for fidelity?

I like the show because it dramatizes the concepts of consciousness and humanity. Most people believe they are capable of thought, when in fact we are little more than apes seeking the next emotional fix and convincing ourselves we are gods, or at least godlike. This leads into the idea of "control"-who has it, who wants it, who can get it and in what ways will it be used. My past actions, as well as observations of other people, lead me to believe those who have the least control over themselves want greater control over someone else. That is not humanity and it is facilitated by a failure to recognize the self, which is a lack of consciousness, coupled with some external force, often government and/or religion, to pursue, rationalize, excuse, avoid, escape, et cetera the obsession at the core of the human experience.