"Whack a Weenie, be fined or go to jail?"

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
The idea here is some discussion about legal mandates for or against circumcision it is not discussion of the practice itself. As of today the petition against circumcision has made the minimum number of signatures to go on the ballot in San Francisco, California.

What would you think of circumcision being made mandatory by statute OR what would you think of circumcision being banned by statute?

The discussion is about a legal mandate for or against.

D_T_Frothingill_Bellows

Account Disabled
Media
Bullshit. Give one good reason why either of them should even be a law. It's like making pierced ears mandatory or banned.... it's purely cosmetic.

Yes there are some things behind it, like uncut guys being more sensitive, or cut guys being easier to keep clean, or uncut guys having a slightly greater chance of contracting HIV... but honestly this is stupid

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It shouldn't have to be a law, I agree. People should have the sense not to cut healthy parts off their kids.
But, the part I've never been able to figure out, is that girls are federally protected in the US from any kind of genital surgery which is not medically necessary. Boys are not. No one has challenged this in court.
Why not? Just because the medical machine keeps talking out of one side of its mouth, saying there is no medical reason for it, and making money hand over fist performing the circumcisions?
It seems odd that the ACLU hasn't gotten involved. Usually they are the first ones there for the underdog, or people who can't protect themselves.
I'm all for the San Francisco law. Why should a baby be subjected to unneeded genital surgery, because it is born male? I find it sad that a law is needed, but the fact is, these kids are unprotected from the most painful surgery a male can have.

S

SirConcis

There are parts of the world where circumcsion isn't common and they don't need a law for that. There is the middle east where circumcision is quasi universal and they don't need a law for that , it isn't even specified in the Koran, it is just a deeply seated tradition.

I don't see why san francisco should pass a law, unless the law would be to force doctors to provide some information to parents about pros and cons of circumcision.

Parents make plenty of decisions. Just think about parents who "force" their kids to wear braces just as they enter teenage. This is not only painful, but makes your mouth look ugly. Should that be banned too and children told to wait untl they are 18 to get teeth fixed ?

What about babies who are born with minir costmetic difformities. Should they be forced to grow up looking difformed and wiat until they are 18 before it gets fixed ? Or shoudl they get fixed up before they enter school so they never have to feel inferior/different ?

Charles Finn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
not the same thing at all as removing a part of a boys body that has ne need to be removed
do you want to remove his teeth too?
braces may be uncomfortable but they come off once cut you can't be uncut unless you spend years stretching the skin

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
There are parts of the world where circumcsion isn't common and they don't need a law for that. There is the middle east where circumcision is quasi universal and they don't need a law for that , it isn't even specified in the Koran, it is just a deeply seated tradition.

I don't see why san francisco should pass a law, unless the law would be to force doctors to provide some information to parents about pros and cons of circumcision.

Parents make plenty of decisions. Just think about parents who "force" their kids to wear braces just as they enter teenage. This is not only painful, but makes your mouth look ugly. Should that be banned too and children told to wait untl they are 18 to get teeth fixed ?

What about babies who are born with minir costmetic difformities. Should they be forced to grow up looking difformed and wiat until they are 18 before it gets fixed ? Or shoudl they get fixed up before they enter school so they never have to feel inferior/different ?

First and foremost, the foreskin is not a cosmetic defect which needs fixing, no matter what you say. The proposed law is about people being circumcised for no medical reason.
Even in Saudi Arabia, one of the Middle Eastern countries you cite, 10% of the male population has foreskins. Circumcision is hadith, a suggestion, not a religious law, for Muslims. I'm grateful you don't live in San Francisco. As far as forcing doctors to do anything, it doesn't work in the US. The AMA tried to force them to give unbiased medical information regarding circumcision, and that hasn't happened. They tried to force them to use anesthesia during infant circumcision, and that hasn't happened.
Far more often, they do obey the law.
Why is it that such a high percentage of your posts are factually incorrect?