What about the most frightening movies you've ever seen?

ballsaplenty2156

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Wow,me too, i watched this film late one night and i was staying away from home , i absolutely crapped myself, especially the bit where the phone keeps ringing and the voice screams " the call is from in the house ":eek: , then the eyeball watching through the door jar, Jesus, the hairs on my neck are even stood up now thinking about it, no way could i watch it again, no way.

LMAO!! "BILLLLLLYYYYY.....NOT THE BABY! BILLLLLLLYYYY"
I think it was the phone calls that really freaked me out, more than anything else. That and the scene at Margot Kidder's bedroom door. ( that's when I screamed like a girl and hurled my soda all over the room.
I'm glad someone else on here knows this gem of a horror film.
Peace, man

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK, since no one else said it, I'll say it: The Blair Witch Project. OK, OK, the movie got a lot of hype and was followed by a bad sequel, but it was scary as hell. Although I can't exactly say that I enjoyed the film--I was one of the many people who got motion sickness from watching it--it certainly was effective. When the movie ended, I left feeling like I had just be trapped in the woods for a week, lost, hungry, sick, terrified, and being stalked by...something. Even though I knew it was a work on fiction, not the documentary it pretended to be, I left believing that there are far more dangerous and sinister things lurking in the woods than bears and wolves; I reconnected with that instinctive knowledge we all have (but learn to suppress) that there's evil in the darkness--personified, supernatural evil, just like every child knows that there are mosters in the closet, and under the bed, and in the cracks of the sofa...there are horrible things out there, and they're coming to get you.

In other words, this movie brilliantly taps into our primeval fear of the unknown, and turns our own imaginations against us.

I left the theater afraid to go out into the darkness of parking lot, afraid to look towards the woods on the other side of the parking lot. When my friends and I got home, we turned all the lights on in the house, and gathered together in the living room together for comfort. I made hot chocolate for everyone, but I was so shook up I had trouble forcing myself to leave their company to go to the kitchen by myself, and I stayed as far from the window as possible. (The kitchen had a big window with no blinds or curtains, so I was exposed to the darkness outside.) After drinking our cocoa our friends had the courage to go home, and my housemates went to bed. My bedroom was in the basement...the far side of the basement...and I would have to walk past two dark and empty storage rooms to get to my bedroom. I ended up falling asleep on the sofa. I woke up a short time later, and in my groggy state was able to stumble downstairs to bed, but if I had woken up fully I would have been to scared to go.

Horror Movie Review of The Blair Witch Project - Big scares, little budget.

I love the 1982 version of The Thing. I saw it again recently and it's still good.

Back in college I saw a movie called Prince of Darkness, which at the time I thought was pretty scary. I saw part of it again a few years ago, and it seemed cheesy.

Jacob's Ladder kept me guessing about what the hell was going on. First I questioned the main character's sanity, then I began questioning my own.

The clown in IT was pretty scary. The stupid spider-creature at the end, not so much. But what really made the movie scary was seeing all these adults genuinely terrified of a childhood monster when they realized It was back and that they would have to face it again.

I'll have to rent Black Christmas.

Has anyone seen Duel? I've heard good things about it, but I haven't seen it yet myself.

Bloodletters - Top 50 Horror Movies
The 100 Greatest Horror Movies from BHM, Updated and Expanded for 2008!

P.S. I've been hearing...things...moving outside my window all night. They're probably just normal nighttime noises that I'd normally tune out, so I'm trying to ignore them (also, I'm afraid to look).

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
HOOPER, ORIGINAL

Bar none probably the best horror movie flick.

Now THIS is my cup of tea baby.

That movie was fucking ugh, i'm wet.

Only move besides Halloween 1 to ever truly make me horrified.

1. The Exorcist
  2. Jaws
  3. Alien
  4. The Omen
  5. Diabolique
  6. Dawn of the Dead
  7. Nosferatu
  8. Psycho
  9. Halloween
  10. The Others
  11. The Sixth Sense
  12. The Thing
  13. Kwaidan

Special mention goes to Fail Safe and On The Beach for being exceedingly horrifying if not traditional horror films.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Still to this day i cringe at part of the Exorcist. That voice and her eyes rolling back where you see only the whiles is terrifying. Also i laugh now but as a little kid Nightmare on Elm street scared the life out of me

OK, since no one else said it, I'll say it: The Blair Witch Project. OK, OK, the movie got a lot of hype and was followed by a bad sequel, but it was scary as hell. Although I can't exactly say that I enjoyed the film--I was one of the many people who got motion sickness from watching it--it certainly was effective. When the movie ended, I left feeling like I had just be trapped in the woods for a week, lost, hungry, sick, terrified, and being stalked by...something. Even though I knew it was a work on fiction, not the documentary it pretended to be, I left believing that there are far more dangerous and sinister things lurking in the woods than bears and wolves; I reconnected with that instinctive knowledge we all have (but learn to suppress) that there's evil in the darkness--personified, supernatural evil, just like every child knows that there are mosters in the closet, and under the bed, and in the cracks of the sofa...there are horrible things out there, and they're coming to get you.

Hmmm. Have you ever seen the original The Haunting? If you haven't, you should. Same with Les Diaboliques.

Oh and there are scary things out in the woods. I know because I've felt them. Some woods, like Glastenbury Mountain in Vermont, are notorious. Other times you just feel a presence and know you should leave where ever you are.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Although Halloween freaked me out when I was a kid, the 3 movies that REALLY scared the hell outta me were Rosemary's Baby, The Omen & The Exorcist...anything having to do with the devil used to really get me...

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Has anyone seen Duel? I've heard good things about it, but I haven't seen it yet myself.
I remember Duel. I recall it was a TV movie with Dennis Weaver and it was more stressful than frightening. It had me on the edge of my seat a few times. Overall a good movie..

As a kid, The Time Machine scared the shit out of me! Me and my dad watched it on TV. Shortly before it went on, my mom and dad argued about whether I was old enough to watch it. Mother was right. I had nightmares for a while afterwards.

As an adult, most such movies don't frighten me easily and I generally don't care for the genre.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hmmm. Have you ever seen the original The Haunting? If you haven't, you should. Same with Les Diaboliques.

They are both on my list, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Oh and there are scary things out in the woods. I know because I've felt them. Some woods, like Glastenbury Mountain in Vermont, are notorious. Other times you just feel a presence and know you should leave where ever you are.

I believe it. I've been in certain places in the woods, where there's a sense of darkness and foreboding, even on the sunniest, most pleasant days. In such places I feel very much as if there's a malevolent force/power/intelligence that does not want me there. I know one spot in a nearby forest where I'd swear that the trees themselves are hostile, and would hurt me if they could.

When I've had such experiences, I never felt like I was in any real danger, but I had no desire to stick around for long, and I left pretty quickly. I sure wouldn't try camping in such a place. Blair Witch was effective for me because it tapped into those experiences.

Years ago I read a short story called "Sticks" by Karl Edward Wagner. I don't remember it very well, but the stick figures in Blair Witch reminded me of this story. (Based on the wikipedia entry, I wasn't the only one that noticed the similarity.) It's amazing how something so ordinary can be so powerfully symbolic, and invoke such a sense of something mysterious and sinister.

Sticks (short story - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Here's an interesting, albeit critical, review of the story and the audio drama based on it, but be warned, it contains SPOILERS.
Malleus Review: Sticks by Karl Edward Wagner, a binaural audio drama by ZBS (English) - Radio Drama Revival!

"Sticks" was inspired by the artwork of Lee Brown Coye. There's an interesting story in wikipedia about how sticks became a recurring theme in his work.

Lee Brown Coye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Library- Morrisville State College - Lee Borwn Coye -Catalog

They are both on my list, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Be sure to watch them. I'm not a fan of The Haunting, despite all the raves, but I certainly am of Les Diaboliques. Carnival of Souls is another you should pick-up. The theme has been done so many times it's familiar, but this film is the reason why. I also have Argento's Suspiria and really enjoy that. Italian horror films are always so chic. In them, the devil really does wear Prada.

I believe it. I've been in certain places in the woods, where there's a sense of darkness and foreboding, even on the sunniest, most pleasant days. In such places I feel very much as if there's a malevolent force/power/intelligence that does not want me there. I know one spot in a nearby forest where I'd swear that the trees themselves are hostile, and would hurt me if they could.

When I've had such experiences, I never felt like I was in any real danger, but I had no desire to stick around for long, and I left pretty quickly. I sure wouldn't try camping in such a place. Blair Witch was effective for me because it tapped into those experiences.

Thank you for describing it so well. I feel it in the woods on the family farm. My mom's house was built by her on the property across the street from the main farm. It's a in a hollow with a stream, an ice pond, and at least three caves. It's named, "Witch's Hollow," for a witch by the name of Penelope lived there for many years. Allegedly she would fly up and down one of the roads bordering the wooded part of the farm, "causing chickens not to lay, milk to curdle, and horses to pull up lame." She died in 1810 but there is no record of her burial in the town cemetery. There is a small family cemetery on the road itself, but she wasn't a member of that family either. We suspect her grave is somewhere on the property that is either unmarked or has a stone which has not yet been found. Years ago I was playing behind the house in the rocks that ended on a cliff that drops about 80 feet down and found a whole host of ancient bottles buried there. That lead us to believe that she lived right about where my mom's house is now. It's a great location for a house as it's very close to the stream yet high enough for flooding not to pose a threat.

My family has owned the property for over two hundred years so we know she was the only person to have lived there until my mother built there. So far, we have come across nothing in the family or town records that mentions where Penelope was buried, though she definitely did exist. She may well have been a witch too. She planted witch hazel, blue and yellow flag, spicebush, apple trees, blood root, verbane, mint, and a whole host of other herbs in one specific area of the stream and they still grow there today. All of these are very useful in folk medicine of the day.

So whenever I feel the malevolent force when walking through the woods or the fields, I imagine it's the spirit of Penelope. I have to say, the feeling is very noticable. My sister has felt it too though it doesn't always appear in the same place. Perhaps they're the ghosts of Indians? Occasionally we find arrowheads and stone tools so we know Indians found it a good spot too.

Years ago I read a short story called "Sticks" by Karl Edward Wagner. I don't remember it very well, but the stick figures in Blair Witch reminded me of this story. (Based on the wikipedia entry, I wasn't the only one that noticed the similarity.) It's amazing how something so ordinary can be so powerfully symbolic, and invoke such a sense of something mysterious and sinister.

Sticks (short story - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Here's an interesting, albeit critical, review of the story and the audio drama based on it, but be warned, it contains SPOILERS.
Malleus Review: Sticks by Karl Edward Wagner, a binaural audio drama by ZBS (English) - Radio Drama Revival!

"Sticks" was inspired by the artwork of Lee Brown Coye. There's an interesting story in wikipedia about how sticks became a recurring theme in his work.

Lee Brown Coye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Library- Morrisville State College - Lee Borwn Coye -Catalog

Thank you very much for these! I'll listen to the radio play the next time I take a bath. I like to have a nice soaking bath before bed sometimes and a good scare before bedtime is a lot of fun.

Runco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I can't say I have seen that many horror films but of the ones I did see, these are the ones that stick in my mind:

• A Nightmare on Elm Street - the first one. Freddie Kruger completely freaked me out
  • Hellraiser - again, the first one. I didn't sleep for weeks after seeing the Cenobites
  • Alien - the tension was enough to scare the crap out of me
  • The Thing - remake - all I remember about watching this was seeing popcorn flying everywhere when I watched it with my friends!
  • Saw - the first one. Disgusting in places and at times truly horrifying.
  • Old Dracula movies - I used to sleep under my bed after sneaking downstairs to watch these as a child...

Another film that got to me was American Psycho, which was horrific but darkly funny in equal measure. Aside from all the depravity, the most horrifying scene was where Bateman (Christian Bale) put on a plastic mac and chopped up some guy with an ax. I have to admit, I felt pretty sick watching and listening to that.

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
Without a doubt, The Exorcist. It is so visually terrifying. I have to say really that nothing beats the horror movies from the 1970's. That decade produced the best of them all. The Sentinel is another good flick that is not that well-known.

quarkGLS

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For me, the original Halloween and Alien. :eek:

I have to agree with Not_Punny. I read "The Exorcist" and what I had conjured up in my mind was far scarier than what I saw on screen. I was mostly bored by the movie.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I like the tension from BLACK SUNDAY. Horrifying with a poetic angle was EYES WITHOUT A FACE. CALTIKI THE IMMORTAL MONSTER spooked me savagely as a small child, as did X THE UNKNOWN and FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH.

CARNIVAL OF SOULS is pretty good, though the cheapness of it annoys people.

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT gave me a headache.

I suspect my big prolonged scare was watching 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH in the theater. And SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD both thrilled and creeped me out.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD--the first half hour of it, with just the running and the determination to stay alive--I've always liked that. The music adds to it immensely.

There's an "in your face" kind of confrontation with the 13 GHOSTS remake.

Lee Brown Coye has had a book about him and his artwork published---the name escaped me now, but the editor and author was Luis Ortiz. I have it somewhere in my library, but it got misplaced. It was fascinating. He did extremely large murals, and lots of small pictures he did for WEIRD TALES. Some of his paintings have been destroyed.

Last edited: