what accidents have you had with a gun?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Jared Padalicki, Mar 23, 2010.

1. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

As reaction to this thread, let's start a thread were gunowners are honest about the accidents they had with their gun.
    It's very weird to read posts when people tell proudly about what guns they have etc ... For me very disturbing.
    Many won't be happy with this "judgemental crap" about guns. But let it also be educational so that others learn about gunownership and accidents that can easily happen, how little they are.

#1 D_Jared Padalicki, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

one time, it shot off in my face. Oh wait, a hand gun....

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

One of the best things you can do if you own a gun is to go somewhere to learn how to properly use and handle it safely. I have had a permit and owned a gun for 17 years and I have never had an accident.

4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, in general I'm against gun ownership. I know it's a cultural thing in the States - but hard for those in the UK to get to grips with.

Seems like the more ppl have guns for 'self defence', the more accidents are gonna happen. They also seem far too easily available for unstable people to get hold of.

I'm not talking about country issues tho - like hunting etc (especially food rather than sport).

In terms of accidents, the only one I had was when I shot Luka - but that wasn't exactly an accident... ;)

5. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey, I shot "on" Luka, does that count??

As far as accidents, I know they happen but so far, I have had none, nor have known anybody that has.

6. lucky8

Gold Member

Only vice presidents have accidents with guns...for the rest of us, it's attempted murder

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe not - it's quite a regular occurrence, I hear. :wink:

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I have my gun for very specific security and safety reasons. I'm happy to say that outside of a gun club firing range I've only drawn and fired it once. I killed a rattlesnake.

9. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I'd rather use mine on a rattler that what is mostly on the receiving end for me.....SKUNKS!! Blech

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Eeww skunks, I bet that is foul. I just read your signature and love it. Let's get together and kill snakes sometime!

11. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

lol, Niiiiice:biggrin1:

12. superbot

Gold Member

Why would any SANE person even think about owning a gun.They only have one purpose and we all know what that is ?!!..

13. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Instead of a "hit and run", it's a "shoot and run" :cool: When they release, it goes everywhere!!

Where should we meet? :wink:

14. gwmasiahk

gwmasiahk Member

Not a gun fan at all here. I always remember a pic I saw of a father teaching his son to shoot a gun at targets of what were black people!! I don't want to get into the racial aspects here of the KKK, but what disturbed me the most was the look of "glee" on their faces!! How can any father want to teach anything like that to his child?? The smile on that child's face was really most disturbing!!

15. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Standard gun targets are not black people they are silhouettes on a white background.

16. maxcok

Gold Member

Why did you kill it? Rattlers are shy, not aggressive, can't strike farther than a third to a half their body length, are generally coiled when they do, and will give you a warning rattle first. I have a great appreciation for wild creatures including snakes, and I will generally let them be, unless they pose an immediate threat or are a nuisance. Even then, if I can safely get away I will.

I've had a couple close calls hiking in the desert, one where a rattler was coiled and rattling right next to my foot. I was picking my way along a narrow ledge of a deep canyon, solo and naked but for my boots and hat. A nanosecond later I was 10 feet away looking back and shaking like that rattle. I have no idea how I got there, it was like I teleported. I thanked my good fortune for not being struck or falling into the canyon. Then I went on with my glorious day.

I have killed a few copperheads that were hanging around my yard or my campsite, because they posed a potential threat to me, or to other people and pets. I didn't shoot them though, I beat them over the head with my big stick. :wink:

#16 maxcok, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  17. D_Jared Padalicki

Yeah, but why always learning to shoot on a silhouette of a person... To hit the right spot in the face of a person? Or in the heart? Don't ya think it's disturbing?

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I can only share briefly my gun training, you use a silhouette target of a person to learn where to shoot so as not to kill them. I find it more disturbing the number of people who have guns with the primary intent to cause harm and kill then the people you are admonishing for carrying one for safety and security.

19. Pye

Pye
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I always thought that if you draw your gun you do so with the intent to kill and not to maim.

What safety does a gun provide other than initial intimidation?

20. D_Jared Padalicki

That's the thing... Although you have the purpose of carrying it for safety and security, it's always that excuse for the others. And I think it's a bad excuse because you really don't need it. Because of that attitude others think they need it too to protect themself from the others who have a gun to protect themself... See where I'm going? Just a stupid reaction on each other to allow yourself to have a gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted