what accidents have you had with a gun?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's the thing... Although you have the purpose of carrying it for safety and security, it's always that excuse for the others. And I think it's a bad excuse because you really don't need it. Because of that attitude others think they need it too to protect themself from the others who have a gun to protect themself... See where I'm going? Just a stupid reaction on each other to allow yourself to have a gun.

You don't even know why I have it and why I need, so you are in no position to tell me I really don't need it. That said; I'm not going to change your mind on the subject and you are never going to able to change my mind. You asked a question that relatively few people on this site can give an answer to and I answered it and attempted to share some experience on safe gun training and handling.
If you are going to start threads that are controversial you have to be prepared that not everyone is going to agree with you. I am prepared for that every time I reply in one. You have no more right to tell me or others that we should not have them then we would telling you that you should have one. If you notice no one who has a gun here has said that to you. Why can't you have respect for others opinions if they differ from yours?

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
You don't even know why I have it and why I need, so you are in no position to tell me I really don't need it. That said; I'm not going to change your mind on the subject and you are never going to able to change my mind. You asked a question that relatively few people on this site can give an answer to and I answered it and attempted to share some experience on safe gun training and handling.
If you are going to start threads that are controversial you have to be prepared that not everyone is going to agree with you. I am prepared for that every time I reply in one. You have no more right to tell me or others that we should not have them then we would telling you that you should have one. If you notice no one who has a gun here has said that to you. Why can't you have respect for others opinions if they differ from yours?

I'm more then prepared that not everyone agrees with me.
You just said you have it for safety, so yeah, my answer on it is that it isn't necessary for protecting yourself and that the whole idea behind it is in my opinion ridiculous.
And yeah, you can say that maybe I need a gun, but then tell me why I need a gun. Tell me why it is necessary to have a gun to feel safe. I wanna hear, all ears here.
I do have respect for an opinion, but this is also a discussion, and in this discussion I don't agree with that opinion as much as you don't agree with my opinion on it.

And I believe many can answer my question that I asked, they just have to see that even the little things that happend when using a gun are worth mentioning. Also when you don't think it doesn't matter in the use of a gun.

And yes I dislike guns and the fact many over there are proud to have one. The bigger the better isn't it :rolleyes:

callmedafonz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
0 accidents. With the people I know who fire guns, there is over 300 years experience between all of us, and not one gun accident. I have about 10-15 people who use my hunting house, never been a problem. gun accidents from people who are taught proper gun safety is not as common as you might think.

gwm, ur using one example to judge all people who own guns? you also say it as if the kid is at fault...he is just doing what he thinks makes his dad happy.

Yorker, i was taught by a cop how to shoot a handgun, and he told me "shoot to kill if someone breaks into your house"...and i agree with that. if someone breaks into my home, i dont care if they are just looking for food to eat because they are hungry, or are coming in to rob me....im putting a bullet between their eyes.

Pieter, what happens when 3 people break into your home and threaten someone you love, and you cant do anything to protect them? how would you feel if you were forced to watch 3 different people rape your mother? something that you could have prevented if you were able to defend yourself with a gun. would your views change? i have 2 very close female friends who i forced to get handguns, as well as 2 of my sisters. sorry if you feel that people dont have a right to protect themselves, i think they do. u mentioned that people claim protection as a reason to own a gun, but in the USA it is our right as americans to own a gun.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'm more then prepared that not everyone agrees with me.
You just said you have it for safety, so yeah, my answer on it is that it isn't necessary for protecting yourself and that the whole idea behind it is in my opinion ridiculous.
And yeah, you can say that maybe I need a gun, but then tell me why I need a gun. Tell me why it is necessary to have a gun to feel safe. I wanna hear, all ears here.
I do have respect for an opinion, but this is also a discussion, and in this discussion I don't agree with that opinion as much as you don't agree with my opinion on it.

And I believe many can answer my question that I asked, they just have to see that even the little things that happend when using a gun are worth mentioning. Also when you don't think it doesn't matter in the use of a gun.

And yes I dislike guns and the fact many over there are proud to have one. The bigger the better isn't it :rolleyes:
Pieter, gun culture is very much ingrained in the American pshyche. It is a symbol of the pioneer spirit, man going out to survive in the wilderness, "How the West was Won". Because we are born of revolution and armed insurrection, it is also enshrined in the Bill of Rights, the most important protection of individual liberties in this country. As such, gun ownership will always be commonplace in America, for better or for worse. For worse, in my personal opinion. Due largely to the effective lobbying efforts of the National Rifle Association, state legislatures across the country are loosening gun restrictions. As a result, the problems that come with the pervasiveness of guns in the society will only get worse, in my opinion.

On the other hand, many people use guns for sport - hunting, target practice and the like. Though I don't personally condone hunting purely for sport, I see nothing wrong with it if you use the kill for food. It is certainly more honest than purchasing the carcass of an animal from a butcher. The region I live in, many people own guns: for hunting, for sport, for personal protection, for the protection of property and livestock, etc. If you live in a remote or rural area, you cannot always rely on the police for protection. People also own guns for political reasons, because they do not trust the government, or just because they like guns. And yes, I am sure there are plenty who are compensating for a sense of powerlessness and/or an undersized cock.

I do think the notion that you will be able to protect yourself from harm just because you have a gun, especially in an urban environment, is rather overblown and a bit of a myth, one that has been disproven time and again. It presumes you will have the gun loaded and at the ready, not be taken by surprise, be able to avoid hitting innocent bystanders, be up on your training and practice, etc. More often than not, these situations do not turn out as well as they do in the movies. However, I think it is unfair for you to judge Nudey without knowing his situation and the circumstances, or why he feels it necessary to have a gun for protection. From what I have seen, Nudey seems to be a reasonable, intelligent person. I think it is presumptuous for you to make blanket statements or judgements about him without knowing more. I would also be prepared for him to say his reasons are personal and private.

I hope this will help you have a better understanding of the issue, and a sensitivity to the variety of reasons Americans own guns - not all of them good, not all of them bad either.

Last edited:

callmedafonz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it is also enshrined in the Bill of Rights, the most important protection of individual liberties in this country. As such, gun ownership will always be commonplace in America, for better or for worse. For worse, in my personal opinion. Due largely to the effective lobbying efforts of the National Rifle Association, state legislatures across the country are loosening gun restrictions. As a result, the problems that come with the pervasiveness of guns in the society will only get worse, in my opinion.

don't blame the NRA here, they are just making sure that people's rights to bear arms is protected.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

There is no wiggle room in that Amendment, it is very clear.

Does that mean I should blame the ACLU for protecting a person's right to religious freedom? Should I blame women's rights for protecting a females equality in the United States?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
don't blame the NRA here, they are just making sure that people's rights to bear arms is protected.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

There is no wiggle room in that Amendment, it is very clear.

Does that mean I should blame the ACLU for protecting a person's right to religious freedom? Should I blame women's rights for protecting a females equality in the United States?
Thanks for the quotation. What makes you think I needed educating? Do you also assume I'm not a gun owner?

This has been discussed extensively in other threads. I have written on this in other threads. Just because we have the right to bear arms, does not mean there can be no limitations put on those rights, just as the right of free speech does not allow you to scream "Fire" in a crowded theatre. The overall safety and security of society outweighs your presumed right to have an arsenal in your basement, a shoulder fired missile launcher next to your bed, or a stinger missile in your backyard, for examples.

There's going to be a lot more on this in the months ahead, including a landmark case before the Supreme Court that could fundamentally redefine the rules of the game for individual gun ownership in this country for years to come. Without taking the thread off on a tangent, I'll include a couple of links to earlier posts here and here. There are several links within to take you to a lot of great information.

I am all for responsible gun ownership, as you should be able to discern from my post you quoted. There is a point though, where enough guns floating around are enough, and we are way past that point in my opinion. Without responsible controls and restrictions on ownership we're all endangered, owners and non-owners alike. And if you think your guns will protect you from some future totalitarian regime, you'll be vaporized before you can blink.

Despite how they sell their message, the NRA long ago stopped being an advocate for responsible gun ownership in this country. Their unwavering absolutist support of the Second Amendment has a deeper agenda than the protection of an individual's right to bear arms. They are shills and lobbyists for the gun sellers and manufacturers, whose only motivation is to make more money selling guns. If you blindly support them, you are a tool. I would never send the NRA another dirty dime.

Last edited:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Pieter, what happens when 3 people break into your home and threaten someone you love, and you cant do anything to protect them? how would you feel if you were forced to watch 3 different people rape your mother? something that you could have prevented if you were able to defend yourself with a gun. would your views change? i have 2 very close female friends who i forced to get handguns, as well as 2 of my sisters. sorry if you feel that people dont have a right to protect themselves, i think they do. u mentioned that people claim protection as a reason to own a gun, but in the USA it is our right as americans to own a gun.

But that is still an excuse. If they break into my house, I wouldn't have the time to get my gun and protect my family. What bothers me is that people whit guns use these reasons to make it right that they own a gun.
That having a gun protects them of all the bad things in life. People have the right to protect themself, but guns aren't the solution.
The idea to fight guns with guns is not a good idea. But then again, it's my opinion, my "ignorance".
And I'm more then aware that you have the right to own a gun there in the USA, but is that the reason to have a gun just because it's your right.

I hope this will help you have a better understanding of the issue, and a sensitivity to the variety of reasons Americans own guns - not all of them good, not all of them bad either.

But I do understand, I knew all of this. But it's weird that you just go in a supermarket to buy some bullets for your gun just like you buy bread at the supermarket or so. This whole idea is something I just don't get. And I'm aware that there are good gunowners and bad ones. Some know how to handle a gun and most just don't.

The OP is a case study in the ignorance of people with such judgmental negative views of firearm ownership.

Not that I'm in any way surprised by this...so much of it going around these days. :rolleyes:

Well of course it is pure ignorance from my side. If you can convince me with the positive views of firearm ownership, you are more then welcome. But already by saying this about me is that you don't even see it from my point of view and the point of view of many others who think it isn't necessary to own a gun to "protect" themself. So who is ignorant then?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As reaction to this thread, let's start a thread were gunowners are honest about the accidents they had with their gun.
It's very weird to read posts when people tell proudly about what guns they have etc ... For me very disturbing.
Many won't be happy with this "judgemental crap" about guns. But let it also be educational so that others learn about gunownership and accidents that can easily happen, how little they are.

I have never understood the insane desire to own deadly weapons. Even if a person can justify having a weapon, 'keeping the wild animals from eating my livestock' 'keeping the neighbor kid from dating my daughter or son' 'keeping the wife aerated' etc. etc. it becomes completely whacked when they have a dozen of these damned firearms. As one person, how many can you use at one time? Even a rifle, a handgun and a shotgun is extreme; but, by being different types of killers, I suppose they each have a place; but what the hell are you going to do with a dozen or more?

The worries of guns include the accidental deaths. No, it is not the most significant of the gun death rates (which include homicide and suicide); but it exists.

A child somehow gains access to a weapon and discharges it- either because the owner left the ammunition in to avoid wasting time in case of emergency, or because the child had seen how to put in the ammo.

A man or woman shoots 'the intruder' only to discover it was a family member. In the middle of the night, in relative darkness, you aren't always thinking clearly and the sound of a glass breaking in the kitchen may sound similar to a window pane being smashed.

A shooting, where the intended ducks and a bystander takes the bullet.

Shootings and deaths where drunken or drugged up friends are 'joking around' and KABOOOM! Either one of them or a child or some other innocent gets taken down.

In addition to the deaths there are the maiming accidents. An eye shot out, a face blown half off, a vital organ hit, a hand destroyed, a leg bone shattered. Is it worth it?

Will it be worth it when you shoot and injure or kill a person you love or even a person you hadn't intended to? Again, remember even with the best target practice training, a target when live, can drop to the ground as the bullet flies or dart to the side as the bullet begins its deadly glide, the bullet then may hit someone else- a loved one, a neighbor, a neighbor's child.

callmedafonz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The worries of guns include the accidental deaths. No, it is not the most significant of the gun death rates (which include homicide and suicide); but it exists.

A child somehow gains access to a weapon and discharges it- either because the owner left the ammunition in to avoid wasting time in case of emergency, or because the child had seen how to put in the ammo.

A man or woman shoots 'the intruder' only to discover it was a family member. In the middle of the night, in relative darkness, you aren't always thinking clearly and the sound of a glass breaking in the kitchen may sound similar to a window pane being smashed.

A shooting, where the intended ducks and a bystander takes the bullet.

Then u should be scared of walking down a street and a car hitting someone. Accidents do happen. I can only speak for myself, but people who know me do know not to enter my house when I don't know they are coming over, and if they do, they identify themselves so I DON'T shoot them.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I accidentally shot out a bunch of Christmas lights with my b-b gun as a kid and my dad accidentally kick my fucking ass.

I can only share briefly my gun training, you use a silhouette target of a person to learn where to shoot so as not to kill them. I find it more disturbing the number of people who have guns with the primary intent to cause harm and kill then the people you are admonishing for carrying one for safety and security.

I know it's viewed completely differently on either side of the Atlantic, and those views are probably not going to be reconciled in the near future. I still don't know tho, what is the need to carry a gun even if it's 'safely and securely'? It sounds similar to UK knife culture, where ppl feel the need to carry knifes to intimidate or defend themselves against others with knives. It just seems to serve to make it more dangerous for everyone, and more likely ppl will use them when emotionally vulnerable, or without thinking properly (like in fights outside clubs, etc.).

I know it's a pain in the arse to have other countries telling you whether or not you should carry them (which is a matter for the US alone to decide), much like we resent the EU meddling in UK affairs; but is there maybe an element of 'You're not telling me what to do...'? Also, when thought about dispassionately...do they really have that much value?? And is it time, or even possible to revise the US' attitude towards gun ownership?

PS: Someone mentioned it was for in circumstances such as 'preventing 3 ppl raping your mother while you stand by'. I mean...how likely is this to happen? It sounds pretty rare to me, and it's not like they wouldn't be armed too... :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
PS: Someone mentioned it was for in circumstances such as 'preventing 3 ppl raping your mother while you stand by'. I mean...how likely is this to happen? It sounds pretty rare to me, and it's not like they wouldn't be armed too... :/
That was this gentleman here-

As joll indicates, the odds are that those breaking in will be armed as well, and even if you take down one of them- maybe 2, the odds are you will end up dead and the living one or two will still do what they planned and you'll be dead.

Breakins involve, usually, a person or persons going in, knowing there is risk, they prepare for that. The person being violated is caught off guard. Unless the gun is always in your hand and loaded, which it should not normally be when you are at home, there's a good chance you will be dead before that first shot is fired. So, as your mother lays there tied down, she hears the shots, the sadistic pervs, drag your lifeless corpse into the room for her to see and then do what they intended to do in the first place. Your mom'll appreciate your gallant efforts and say so at the funeral.

Then again, maybe you have a rapid fire gun and the bulletts will fly out glistening as they torpedo towards their targets and 1, 2, 3, 4! 4? Yes, you fired rapidly and the 4th slices into your mother's neck, killing her instantly. In the recording played at your mom's funeral, you'll boast how you protected her and kept her from being raped.

Oh, and don't expect your neighbors to come to the rescue, gunshots are usually ignored as are most screams.

Say! I see your profile says you are in NYC. Since the cops are known for barging in (often to the wrong apartment), how do you think you'll hold up if you let go of a round and strike one of them? Odds are, you'll be long dead before they finish their prayers thanking the maker of Kevlar.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Always obvious that neither side will convince the other to change their views. It always ends the same.

We have already went from the original question of "accidents had" to "what if's"

I'll own my gun for my purpose, support both those who also own guns for legitimate reasons, and those who choose not to own guns.

No one is trying to convince anyone that they "should" own guns. Just trying to stand up for our right to do so if we choose.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well of course it is pure ignorance from my side. If you can convince me with the positive views of firearm ownership, you are more then welcome. But already by saying this about me is that you don't even see it from my point of view and the point of view of many others who think it isn't necessary to own a gun to "protect" themself. So who is ignorant then?

You are.

It isn't about sides, genius. It's about your utter ignorance of facts with respect to any viewpoint other than your own...and even including your own.

If your head weren't tucked so far up your own ass, you might already know the statistics on accidents involving firearms...and consequently, you'd be aware that gun owners tend to be very responsible...and then you just might have the slightest understanding of how idiotic this thread you began really is.

But even with the wisdom of your vast and varied life experience, you obviously can't be bothered with such mundane details as learning facts.

Like I said...lots of that going around these days.