What American accent do you have?

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have practically no accent. Having come from Oak Ridge, my friends came from all over the world, so I could choose any accent I wanted. Sounding like a typical east Tennesseean was just too "hicklike" for me to bear. I can't help but associate it with elements of humanity that are unpleasant, though I know this is a prejudice. I have many friends with a rather thick local accent who are the sweetest and smartest people you could want to know.

Oops, I just saw the accent test; sorry for my inattentaveness! I tested midland or neutral, just as I thought. See Y'all!

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have what most would describe as a non-regional accent, but what is really a hybrid mid-atlantic/californian type accent similar to what you mostly hear on national television news and in movies when they are intentionally trying to "lose" their accent. As if such a thing is possible.

I took the quiz and it says I could have a western new england accent "that the news networks go for"

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It said northern, I am Floridian in Alaska, only even visited that area once. People have asked if I am Canadian a few times, English once.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mine says southern? I'm from the North, dammit!!

Now the other one Ganja posted was right on... though I am jaded enough to wonder if they may do it by IP address...

"Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard."

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Born in Vermont, moved to San Jose, California when I was nearly 4 years old. Raised by New England parents in California, my accent has gradually changed, though some people can still peg me as being from New England.

The test gave me a Midland accent rating which may make sense to someone but not to me.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
What American accent do you have?

Try this one too. It was very accurate for me. It even named four cities I could be from and the city I'm from was listed in there.

I did that one and it gave me this result:

The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Pretty accurate, I'd say. I actually do have a bit of an accent, though, one that is unique to New Mexico, and which I can easily identify, but is kinda hard to describe.

technopeasant

Experimental Member
Media
I got identified as midland however, I was born and raised in East Tennessee. Lived in Nashville for 11 years in my 20's, which seems to have a midland accent when you look at the "metro" population rather than the natives. I suspect this is where much of it comes from, for me when I moved back to East TN the accent was set.

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got Northeastern as a Result, and in fact, I am from New Jersey.
By the way "Joisey" is not a New Jersey accent, but a Long Island accent.
They are right.

Ganja- I'm not sure about the accuracy of the test though.
Maryland is not in the Northeast, but most definitely in the SOUTH.
You might not speek with strong southern accents, like Texans, but your accents sound clearly southern to us. Some of you may speak with "news anchor" accents as well.

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Spoiled Princess,
it is true that New Jerseyans and New Englanders speak more like people from England that Americans.
When a linguistics professor of mine once mentioned that a point from the text, that Brittish accents have more vowel sounds than American accents do, the entire class was confused. She had to gloss that with a the statment that, well, in New Jersey, there are actually more.
This test, interestingly is based on vowel pronunciation - not inflection, vocabulary, or rhotic/non-rhotic r's.

Can you tell me where in England the people who speak with the rhotic accents are from? That is to say, they alternate between voiced, and silent R's the way most of us do in New York and New Jersey, not always the silent R's (non-rhotic) of London and most of the UK? They sound almost like us. I often mistake them for Americans, although Americans from other states know right away they are Brittish! I am told that this group of Englishmen gave us the basis our accent.

(This is interesting and confusing though, because non-rhotic (silent R's)
accents are in general receeding in the USA. In the South, they are rapidly receeding, even though the southerners by no means are loosing their distinctive twang otherwise. The non-rhotic accents of New York and New Jersey are sometime associated with the older generation or the working classes. On the other hand the rhotic accents of England are the ones that are receeding.)

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got Northeastern as a Result, and in fact, I am from New Jersey.
By the way "Joisey" is not a New Jersey accent, but a Long Island accent.
They are right.

Ganja- I'm not sure about the accuracy of the test though.
Maryland is not in the Northeast, but most definitely in the SOUTH.
You might not speek with strong southern accents, like Texans, but your accents sound clearly southern to us. Some of you may speak with "news anchor" accents as well.

I know Maryland is considered south but I consider it borderline north south because I do hear a lot of people in Maryland speak with southern accents but a lot that don't sound southern to me although it may to others like you said. For the second test I got the Philadelphia result which was dead on because they also said you may be from Baltimore and that's where I was born and raised.