What American accent do you have?

wispandex_bulge

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, not surprisingly, I scored midland. I grew up on the eastern shore of maryland where my grandmother talked about knitting africans (afgans) and doing the warsh (wash) and being flustrated (not sure on this one but probalby some combination of flustered and frustrated). Anyway, my parents used very good enunciation. I wonder if ghetto or thug is a scoreable accent on the test... Basically, midland is like "high" American english, in that its diction is clearest and usually most easily understood (barring problems with vocabulary).

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can see that
Maryland is on the borderline - on the southern side though, lol
Anyway, yeah, Philadelphia and Baltimore itself are similar
What is most distinctive about Philadelphia though, is that strange O sound they use. Do you know what I am talking about? The only thing similar to it is a sound stereotypically upitiy Brittish people use - but isn't all that common in the UK either.

I know Maryland is considered south but I consider it borderline north south because I do hear a lot of people in Maryland speak with southern accents but a lot that don't sound southern to me although it may to others like you said. For the second test I got the Philadelphia result which was dead on because they also said you may be from Baltimore and that's where I was born and raised.​

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have no idea how useful or accurate this test is, but my result confirmed my accent is Canadian. Duh!

Can it recognize regional accents? Give it a try.

What American accent do you have?
:biggrin1:
I did look at the test...but I know I have a very southern ( from the deep Mississippi) Am. accent and country like...in adddition to having a black dialect.
When went I lived in Chicago and visit other places, some people will even say... You from the deep south aint you. Don't know if that good or bad.
But...I is... what I is; and it be what it bees:biggrin1:
With a name like Whopper-lee what would you expect.
I write much better than I talk, it takes more thought too:biggrin1:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I have a northeastern american accent, as I'm English this was quite surprising to me :)

Me too - I'm from Dublin - I get the questions aren't aimed are our 'regional' differences

I concur. There are some New England/Northeastern American accents that are more similar to British than stereotypical American.

We is spekin bettah van wot you iz - dat iz da reason!

RESULTS FOR A SOFT (I'm told) DUBLIN ACCENT:

Northeastern This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.
Philadelphia

The Inland North

The Midland

Boston

The South

The West

North Central

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]My results:
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Northern [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for. [/FONT]

monstro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Now over to Naughty, with the weather...

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Technically, my accent switches based on context and conversation, including who I am speaking to and what we are talking about. While I am from Maryland, I do not have a southern accent (many in the western and eastern shore can). I also do not say HON or Warshington. While that is considered a Balmer accent, it is mostly found among the white constituency.

I grew up in the City (Balmer, as some say) and I can either sound very urban, educated with a tint of hip-hop (this is how "cool white guys" sound on sit-coms) or just plain articulate and race-less in a very "Colin Powell-Oprah" kind of way.

In the world of linguistics, it is called code-switching. Many of us do it and it is a relatively unconscious act.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
At the end of the test I got a map with a line pointing to Providence and this result:

"
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Northeastern [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life)"[/FONT]

How spooky!:wink:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I code-switch deliberately and consciously. Sometimes it's Charlestonian, sometimes generic southern, sometimes flat as Gary, Indiana.

I can do this too. Once you are consciously aware of it, you can learn to control it and turn it on and off. I like to surprise people who assume I grew up in the county and/or went to private school because of how articulate I can be by going "homeboy" on them.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I took this, just for kicks. :smile:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Northeastern [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life) [/FONT]

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think New England accents would fit into Northeastern and I wonder if everyone else who's English who tries this test would come out with a Northeastern accent. I have often thought that New England accents are very like an English accent.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Midland. Born in Texas, lived in Upstate New York for a year and a half when 12-13 and I've been in Virginia ever since. Now people can't tell where I'm from by listening to me unless one of my Texasisms slips through.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think New England accents would fit into Northeastern and I wonder if everyone else who's English who tries this test would come out with a Northeastern accent. I have often thought that New England accents are very like an English accent.

If I remember, The PBS series 'The Story of English', by John McNeil, yankee is more Northumbrian, and southern is more Devon + African, reflecting immigration patterns. There (being from there myself, so more familiar) are a lot of distinct southern accents, white New Orleans working class is not southern at all, it is like the same from New York City.
The way black people on the coast of Georgia and South Carolina talk has a caribean lilt, all the vocabulary is english, but you wouldn't understand a single word unless they want you to.
Some people from Charleston and Savannah say some words like Canadians, like ootside, gare-ajj, reuhf.
Some of the older generation of older families around Saint Augustine kept a bit of Cuban in their very mild southern.
Some rural north Florida was more indian than southern.
The older families in the Keys were more Bahamian than southern.