What American accent do you have?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I worked in one of the City Schools as an administrator, I always had the surprised parent look when they met me in person after speaking to me on the phone only. Mrs. Lex gets the same thing. It's funny, sad and interesting all at the same time.

I know exactly what you mean. I have sent in resumes, been called for phone interviews, and when I went for the in person interview I could see their faces fall. They were disappointed I wasn't white. :frown1: :mad: :confused:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Have lived in urban California most of my adult life, so no accent at all.

Grew up in urban Ohio; never had much or any "midwestern" accent; reallly, neither did my parents much, even though they too were natives of Ohio (don't really think there is a single midwestern accent anyway)

Went to university in Boston with a load of people form NY and New Jersey, so picked up (or affected) a bit of that, besides the pretentious college accent, both of which I grew out of long ago.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
One quiz assessed:

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Yes, sir-ee-bob, you betcha! I'm from Chicago...

and another assessed:

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Yeah, and people here in the Bay Area accuse me of being a Chicagoan all the time. I'm guilty as charged...

HungDaddy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Neutral You're not Northern, Southern, or Western, you're just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don't really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

Yeah thats right :tongue:

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have a Northeastern accent, not quite a strong NYC accent, but a smithering of it, but mostly a Northeastern accent.

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
I'm from the Northeast, somewhat near Boston, I wouldnt say I have the accent though. I say lets park the car, not lets pahk the cah. But I was talking to someone on video chat the other day and she was saying how I pronounced boobs funny......

errico

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
A lot of people tell me I sound like I'm from Hermosa Beach California, which is nuetral?

I'm not really sure, the only time I hear my voice is when I'm recording it for my music, and I spend more time singing than talking.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ha ha ha 2 potato scallops and some XXXX for dinner subgirl?

I actually don't much like potato scallops! Sacrilegious, I know.

And . . . I've never had XXXX :tongue:. I was a VB girl when I was a young 'un, then a New girl when I was a little older. These days I usually drink Pure Blonde if I go for beer.

And I was actually mistaken as being from Maine when flying into the States. Wasn't until they saw my Aus passport that they believed me.

Which state are you from (although based on the XXXX I could take a guess)? Many people mistake the Adelaide accent for an English one, so maybe there was something similar going on.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I didn't need a test to tell me! LOL! I'm Southern all the way. Growing up in Austin there's really only one way to speak. Dad's an old Texan who could have been at home in the Wild West.

BUUUUUUTT... my Mum is from the UK, so there's definitely a twist on certain words! What a mix!

But I still have a very definite drawl. Even folks in Atlanta said I had an accent! LOL! Whoo boy, that was a wake up call after listening to them!

There are a whole lot of Southern accents and Texas different from Alabama and Mississippi, and the Carolinas are unique as well.