Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
#1 -- online banking app
#2 -- audible.com app
#3 -- Weatherbug
#4 -- Places
#5 -- Super Sudoku

:biggrin:

PS: Congrats on the kindle fire. Do you like it? (My list of apps in no way reflects what you should get -- it's simply what I use the most)

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm very cautious about phone apps and banking. So many apps are around from diverse sources and some platforms rush to get them up to be competitive — so they don't get the vetting that results from truly rigorous testing.

I am skeptical generally about how secure phones are. People download all sorts of nifty "free" or cheap fun apps. It may not be the banking app itself that is a problem, rather it may be one of the other apps that is hiding a bit of malware or spyware under an innocuous cover, sending private information or recording keystrokes to crack accounts.

Be careful.

Last edited:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm very cautious about phone apps and banking. So many apps are around from diverse sources and some platforms rush to get them up to be competitive — so they don't get the vetting that results from truly rigorous testing.

I am skeptical generally about how secure phones are. People download all sorts of nifty "free" or cheap fun apps. It may not be the banking app itself that is a problem, rather it may be one of the other apps that is hiding a bit of malware or spyware under an innocuous cover, sending private information or recording keystrokes to crack accounts.

Be careful.
Very good advise. Thats why i suggested he download from the Amazon Store and not some other vendor. The smart phones (and Kindle ) are not safe in terms of privacy, malware and spyware. They are very easy to hack. The worst being the i phone. It can be hacked in less than 2 minutes.

Last edited:

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
WOW. I was being terribly naive about it being risky from the point of view of hackers or criminals being wily about getting access.

Is seems PRIVACY INVASION IS BUILT RIGHT INTO the smartphones when they are manufactured. Watch the HuffPost video. Even https transactions which are supposed to be encrypted are logged unencrypted by Carrier IQ. That could mean our Passwords are out there in some form of data logs accessed by your carrier, who have no need to see it at all.

He said it exists on most smartphones from various manufacturers, and is hidden away. When we agree to the licences that we click on to make the phones work none of this is explained in an overt way.

According to the researcher there is no way to opt out or turn this hidden application off. WTF? This begs some explaining.

A security researcher has posted a video detailing hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities.

In a 17-minute video posted Monday on YouTube, Trevor Eckhart shows how the software – known as Carrier IQ – logs every text message, Google search and phone number typed on a wide variety of smart phones - including HTC, Blackberry, Nokia* and others - and reports them to the mobile phone carrier.

The application, which is labeled on Eckhart’s HTC smartphone as "HTC IQ Agent," also logs the URL of websites searched on the phone, even if the user intends to encrypt that data using a URL that begins with "HTTPS," Eckhart said.

Carrier IQ: Researcher Trevor Eckhart Outs Creepy, Hidden App Installed On Smartphones (VIDEO) (UPDATE)

kenny233

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There are some good apps that came with my phone, but here is a list of a few of the apps I have downloaded from the Android market:

I primarily use the barcode scanner app, a unit converter called ConvertDroid, gStrings guitar tuner, Pace Calculator for running, Pandora, GPS Essentials, Scorecenter, and Shazam.

Not sure how they will work on your Kindle device...

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
WOW. I was being terribly naive about it being risky from the point of view of hackers or criminals being wily about getting access.

Is seems PRIVACY INVASION IS BUILT RIGHT INTO the smartphones when they are manufactured. Watch the HuffPost video. Even https transactions which are supposed to be encrypted are logged unencrypted by Carrier IQ. That could mean our Passwords are out there in some form of data logs accessed by your carrier, who have no need to see it at all.

He said it exists on most smartphones from various manufacturers, and is hidden away. When we agree to the licences that we click on to make the phones work none of this is explained in an overt way.

According to the researcher there is no way to opt out or turn this hidden application off. WTF? This begs some explaining.

Carrier IQ: Researcher Trevor Eckhart Outs Creepy, Hidden App Installed On Smartphones (VIDEO) (UPDATE)
That is true. The debate over the privacy invasion regarding smartphones has been going on for some time.
Sen. Franken seeks answers to smartphone privacy issues ...

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
In part, the reason why our devices (smartphones and computers) are easy to hack and/or subjected to various invasions of privacy is because we as consumers generally have had this laissez-faire attitude with regard to our privacy, with bullshit logic like, "If you've got nothing to hide..."

Well yeah, I've got something to hide. Like my frickin' banking passwords and other personal information, for starters. Only now, when the full extent of our lack of security is finally being realized, are people starting to get flustered. About fuckin' time, imo.

But back to the o.p. I don't have a banking app on my smartphone. Some of the ones I do have include:

a call blocking app
a reverse number search and caller id app
a gps location spoofer
Lookout (a virus/malware scanning app)
an app that allows me to access my regular email client
Tip N Split (calculates the tip for dining, allows various percentage and figures out the split between multiparties)
Magic Marker (draw whimsical cat faces, smileys and shit on yer screen. a "riot")
Movies (gives upcoming, box office, finds local theaters, show times, even buy the tickets in advance if you wish)
Walgreens (scan your meds' barcodes to insta-fill, punch in location and pick up time-voila!)
Geocoupons (why bother to clip 'em??)

Plus I've two t.v. apps and various news apps (Time, MSNBC, USAToday)
and others apps I care not to mention.

All my downloads are via the Market app that came with my device. Curiously I was just reading a piece on smartphone security yesterday. Here is the article:

7 Security Tips for Smartphone Users | Smartphones & Tablets | Anti-Virus Software | SecurityNewsDaily

Last edited:

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I use so many apps it's ridiculous. Here's a breakdown:

Games:
Angry Birds
Blast Monkey
Bubble Blast 2
Find Differences
Fruit Ninja
Hanging with Friends
IllusionsPro
Jewellust
Solitaire Deluxe
Spades Free
Sudoku Free
Vortex Planetarium (Going to add a side note here. This isn't a game but it's recreational so I listed it under games. This is the COOLEST APP EVER. It basically turns your android into a planetarium. Points out all the stars and planets and constellations, and you can click on anything and learn more about it. I love love love this app, and so does my son!)
Words with Friends
7 Words

Apps to customize my Android:

Zedge (Ringtones, wallpapers, notification sounds)
Backgrounds (More backgrounds)

Miscellaneous:
Dictionary
Thesaurus
Bank app
Out of Milk (This is a to-do/grocery list app.)
Huffington Post
IMDb
TV Guide Mobile
YouTube
SoundHound (This is another cool app. Ever hear a song you love but don't know the name or who sings it? Open SoundHound, let it listen for a couple seconds, and it can tell you who is singing that version of the song, the name of the song, the album it's on, and sometimes even the lyrics!)
Ventriloid (A Ventrilo app)

Last edited: