What are gay bars like?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by CAM4257, Sep 30, 2010.

1. CAM4257

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Okay, so this might sound stupid and naive, but, I've never been before and I wanted a general sense of what they were like from people that have.

I've only recently come out, and so haven't had any opportunities to go, but I know I will soon, and wanted to have a heads up.

I'm sure the images I have are horrible cliches and stereotypes - currently it involves a lot of leather (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Anyway, I don't mean to be patronizing, I've been to all sorts of (I guess straight?) bars before, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

2. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    well I like Gay bars better than straight bars.

For these reasons...

1. Hardly EVER any fights.
    2. Better music ...BY FAR
    3. Cheaper and stronger drinks.
    4. Less attitude for the most part. *Especially in Bear type bars*
    5. usually you can wear whatever you want and not have to dress up or anything like that. Most better straight bars you have to dress up or dressy casual. *dancing and getting sweaty in "club clothes" isn't as comfortable as jeans and a t-shirt. :)
    6. All bathrooms are unisex. :) Girls use the guys and guys use the girls......

3. irox19

irox19 New Member

Albums:
    Gay bars/clubs are absolute F U N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

You will find most gay bars are no different in terms of appearance then a mainstream mixed crowd bar. There are all different types of people there, some you will associate with and others you will not. As OC pointed out above, there are a lot of neat little perks to going to a gay bar, but overall you will find that visiting one will be no different to visiting any other club or bar - it will just have more gay guys.

Unless you go to fetish bar or theme club, you will likely just find guys in jeans and t-shirts drinking and having a good time. The great thing about (most) gay bars is that every type of person is welcome and typically no one bats and eyelid.

5. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    The gay karaoke crowd has waaaaay better talent!

6. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

You should hear my rendition of "I've Never Been To Me" - a winner every time! :biggrin1:

7. maxcok

Gold Member

There are all sorts of gay bars, just as there are all sorts of straight bars. You live in NY? Do you have any gay friends you can ask? Better yet, have them take you around and get your feet wet.

8. zpacifico

zpacifico New Member

haha, just let me know when is your next performance:wink:
    gay bars (just like any other) are great if the crowd is up to your own preference, fetish bars are even better because gay ones are exclusively for men and dress code usually has to be strictly followed. I always have way better fun in the latter ones, especially if bears are around.:tongue:

9. bearvwe

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
  10. bearvwe

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    If you are going to a gay bar for the first time, I would recommend one with a show or a singer.

Sometimes gays bars can seem a bit intimidating first time you go there (not actually true once you get into the swing) and it sometimes seems everyone else is in a group (well people do go to bars with their mates) or with their boyfriend (might be true or the guy you fancy could just be there with his best mate). So if there's a show, it will help you feel part of the crowd and will provide you with chance to open a conversation with other people.

11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I agree with all of this but since you live in NY I'm just going to disqualify a few bars in Chelsea and The Town House as having less attitude.
    If you live in NYC pick up a copy of Metro Source; they list all the bars in the city and give a rundown on atmosphere and clientele. Since you have never been I would suggest going in early during happy hour and get a feel for the place and chat up the bartender a bit to get to know the place better.
    Most of the bars in the city are a lot of fun so relax and have a good time... That's one of the reason people go out.

12. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    YEEEEEEES! That's perfect!

He's in New York!?

Sweetheart, if your thing is a really friendly, flirty, diverse crowd, hit up Boots and Saddle (around the corner from Village Cigars, across the street from Fat Cat). I believe Karaoke is Monday, but you can find out on their website. It is hosted by a seriously bad-ass, peach of a drag queen.

Pieces, located at the corner of Christopher and Gay, is similar, but full of twinks past midnight on weekdays. Karaoke is Tuesday. Every night has a theme and a host or hostess, or a DJ at minimum.

Stonewall has go-go boys and dim lights.

I have met the most amazing people in those bars.

I hear good things about The Cock, and the music coming out to the street is always okay, the guys smoking outside are HOT, the bouncer seems nice. I've never been inside. I get the distinct impression I'm not welcome. (I'm a woman.) It's a very masculine looking place, and I've never seen a woman go in. It's right next to Second on 2nd, which is not a gay Bar. I think Mars Bar is also down the street.

#12 AlteredEgo, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  13. Pecker Check

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Gay bars, like stright bars, vary with era, location, theme, you name it. My first gay bar experience was in DC the late 60s. The place doesn't exist anymore (imagine that!) It was in a basement (under a restaurant) and you entered by a descending stairway at the side of the building. As you came up the stairs you could look across the street at J. Edgar Hoover's window in the old Justice Building. (How's that for a precarious and nefarious location?) In the years since I've gone to them all over the U.S. and in many other countries. UK bars have always been my favorites. I don't go anymore. Stopped because I hated the smoke and just never got started again when all of that changed. The advice to go with somebody makes a lot of sense. (Although the guy who suggested so long ago that we go to that first bar in DC may have put me in questionable files.) If you go, be sure to report back.

14. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  15. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Even before moving from Birmingham, it had been awhile since I was in a gay bar. I couldn't handle the smoke. And there are none around the area where I live now. I'd have to go to Mongomery or Birmingham and I don't like to have to drive after drinking.

I use to enjoy them though.

16. CAM4257

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    thanks for all the feedback! very reassuring.

17. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Catty, but fun enough.

From my experience, the people at leather bars tend to be a lot friendlier and much more approachable.

18. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

I have never been in but one. I was with my str8 friends and his girlfriend in New Orleans and we went too far down on the Gay end of Bourbon. His girlfriend said "they are playing cool music in here lets go in and have a beer" We sat down and since I am totally int he closet I was secretly checking out this cute dude at the bar and suddenly my friend said to his GF "Do you realize that you are the only girl in here? We are in a friggen gay bar!" So we left.

19. Chase1600

Chase1600 Member

There has to be a story here. You are 90% gay, you live on the east coast, and you've never been in a gay bar?

You must be one hot dude.

20. crescendo69

Gold Member

I remember the French Quarter being full of gay bars; you can get street maps with all the gay bars listed. But you can't tell from the outside. Kind of like gay people.:tongue:

I find it helps to go with friends. But many of my friends can't stand smoke, which they somehow allow in many Knoxville bars. I am more comfortable in the quieter bars, so I don't have to yell in my friend's ear. It's been awhile, now, though, since my funds are limited. I look for no cover charge options.

Draft saved Draft deleted