What are suicidal thoughts?

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are they thoughts about death?

Thoughts about what might happen if you died?

Thoughts of how to die?

Or is it as simple as thoughts of wanting to die?

Joseph

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
What an... odd subject, but....

Suicidal Thoughts are most likely thoughts about committing suicide... thinking about killing oneself.

I had those, pretty painful, I'm long over them thought.

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What an... odd subject, but....

Suicidal Thoughts are most likely thoughts about committing suicide... thinking about killing oneself.

I had those, pretty painful, I'm long over them thought.

Have you ever called the suicidal hotline? THEY SUCK!!

I'm not suicidal (I don't think so) but I just called to see what they were like.

They were like, "how may I help you"

and I was like, "I don't know"

Then they said, "Well call us back when you know.... have a good evening"

I was shocked! She didn't even try to get to keep me on the phone.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well to me they are thoughts of wanting to kill one's self. In psychology they use the term "ideation". Thoughts are still just thoughts but if a person really is unhappy and doesn't want to live any more, then those thoughts are dangerous. There seems to be a lot of suicidal ideation in teenagers because it's hard to deal with so many issues for them as a group. I also do think that some people have a lot of emotional or physical pain, and simply don't want to live any more. But they might not really have the desire to actually go through with it. It's a sad thing to me.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Have you ever called the suicidal hotline? THEY SUCK!!

I'm not suicidal (I don't think so) but I just called to see what they were like.

They were like, "how may I help you"

and I was like, "I don't know"

Then they said, "Well call us back when you know.... have a good evening"

I was shocked! She didn't even try to get to keep me on the phone.
You should call and register a complaint. I worked as a crisis intervention counselor until last week. I'm not sure how the system works where you called, but in my experience when you place the call it is screened to determine the problem and then I am called by the switchboard and briefed about the situation and then the call is patched through to my telephone line. In my experience most callers just really needed to talk to someone about the issues in their lives and rarely needed further action or to be referred to another agency. I'm sorry that they did not take the time that they should have with you. Check to see if there are other groups in your community if you want to talk to someone. Meanwhile I don't want to be patronizing but if you feel afraid and overwhelmed you might want to speak to your doctor or a clergy member or someone you feel comfortable confiding in.

sab84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Well the thoughst generally include how you will no longer suffer... so become pain free.. no more heartaches or physical pain (in disease related depression/suicidal tendencies)... How other would be much better off w/o you.. how you are making their life miserable or how you are single and no one cares about you.... how GOD doesn't love you and dosen't want you make/keep you happy... or how you would be happier with Him or on the other side of the tunnel/white light...

Basically the person become disoriented towards life and seeks purpose to live...

If you are asking just for your curiosity it's fine.. else if you or someone you know is seriously depressed and have suicidal thought talk to others... if you friends/family seems weird strangers are their on the suicide prevention helpline... a suicidal person believes that end to his life won't affect others but in fact as social animals we all leave prints on others' mind while our day to day life goes on... so it's never in reality it's just "my life" as somehow you are attached to someone else's. It's a network... remember 6 degrees...

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
What makes you think you are -- or are not -- suicidal?

Take it from me -- suicide helplines can't help if you don't want it; only you can save you from yourself. You are the one holding the gun to your head, making...whatever demand it is you're placing on your life.

B_Hamadim

Experimental Member
Media
They say If you die as a Rigtheous person, Angel of Death will come to you dressed in White cloth, greeting you with the warmest greetings, The angel of death will approach your head, he will talk to your Soul and say: "O Good Soul! Come out to the Satisfaction of your God and to the Heavens", then your Soul will come out happily and it will be put in a Glass then taken to the Heavens.

They say If you die as a Bad person, Angel of Death will come to you dressed in a Black cloth, Cursing you with the worst curses, The angel of death will approach your head, he will talk to your Soul and say: "O Bad Soul! Come out to the Wrath of your God and to the wide Hell", your Soul will be shaking in fear and it will refuse to come out, the Angel of Death will pull it out with all his powers, in the same time, you will feel a Pain you have never felt before, When your Soul is in the Grasp of the Angel of Death, he will put it in Glass of Flames, then taken to Hell.

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How would I register a complaint?

IDK. Sometimes when I'm in a difficult situation I say to myself, "OMG somebody put me out of my misery!" but I know I don't really mean it. Its just that I want that suffering to go away.... and dying seems like the quickest and easiest way.

But I don't mean it, but I think I'm making it a habit.... I should change that. Its a stupid thing to say..... its not like the movie "Groundhogs Day" where I could just kill myself and start the same day over again. There are no "continues" or "1-UPs" in life. Its just you and the Mushroom Kingdom....

Last edited:

Joseph

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
But, as long as you don't go through with it, it's ok to have them?

Of course NOT! There is a reason why someone even thinks of his own death. Something causes it, it has to be dealt with.

I used to have low self-esteem (well... lower than now that is, can't say I'm confident now either), I didn't have any friends (right now I have friends thanks to the Internet) and didn't have any idea where to go with my life.

I only told a few people about my thoughts and all I got to hear was "Don't say such nonsense!" and "You don't have the guts to commit suicide anyways haha!". Now that I'm doing better I really would like to punch those people in the face for what they told me.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
How would I register a complaint?
Why would you register a complaint? You clearly didn't call seeking help and the operator probably recognized it and wasn't about to waste time that could be spent on someone who ACTUALLY needed help.

You said it yourself: "I'm not suicidal...I just called to see what it's like."

But I'll say this, I think you're right: you are not suicidal. You are merely not thinking realistically. If all you come up with is the 'suicide solution' to your problems, you need to get more creative with your problem solving...

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why would you register a complaint?
because she didn't know.
she didn't know if he was serious or not.
the next person she tells to call back when they know what to say might have just swallowed a bottle of pills.
what she said was potentially very dangerous, so she shouldn't be doing that job right now.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
They say If you die as a Rigtheous person, Angel of Death will come to you dressed in White cloth, greeting you with the warmest greetings, The angel of death will approach your head, he will talk to your Soul and say: "O Good Soul! Come out to the Satisfaction of your God and to the Heavens", then your Soul will come out happily and it will be put in a Glass then taken to the Heavens.

They say If you die as a Bad person, Angel of Death will come to you dressed in a Black cloth, Cursing you with the worst curses, The angel of death will approach your head, he will talk to your Soul and say: "O Bad Soul! Come out to the Wrath of your God and to the wide Hell", your Soul will be shaking in fear and it will refuse to come out, the Angel of Death will pull it out with all his powers, in the same time, you will feel a Pain you have never felt before, When your Soul is in the Grasp of the Angel of Death, he will put it in Glass of Flames, then taken to Hell.

Another useful, apropos post. :rolleyes:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally Posted by InHamad

Another useful, apropos post. :rolleyes:

It doesn't say anything about suicide per se, whether suicide in general is considered righteous or unrighteous. In xtianity it's an automatic go-to-Hell.

As someone who has been suicidal for decades and had to give it up to raise a family, I have discovered one thing-- no matter how hard you try it is impossible to die when it hasn't been ordained by some power bigger than you. I have not been allowed to die when I wanted to many times, and I wasn't playing some 'pity me' game the way some folk do, trying to get others to coddle them until they feel better.

Everyone has thoughts of not wanting to play this stupid living gig anymore, now and then. But your problems are not actually solved by dying either. I ended up having to deal with them and grow up anyhow because I was too stupid to kill myself properly either.

And don't be hard on the helpline people. They are not mindreaders.

Did you know that in many countries depleting the workforce or the taxable income pool by killing yourself is illegal? Technically they can throw you in jail if you survive. Our western society is screwed up.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
because she didn't know.
she didn't know if he was serious or not.
the next person she tells to call back when they know what to say might have just swallowed a bottle of pills.
what she said was potentially very dangerous, so she shouldn't be doing that job right now.

Dangerous to whom, dolphette? What preconceptions about one's right to die do you labor under?