What are the 3 most beautiful cities in Italy besides Rome, Florence and Venice?

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
I like Hilaire's list. I might add Vince's as well + Lake Como, and if you are going to Assisi, stop by Perugia as well. The Adriatic cities, Urbino is along the way, such as Ravenna, Pesaro, and Rimini are nice variations on coastal Italian cities. Oft ignored is D'Abruzzo, which is wild and green, as is Alberobello, all the way down south. I love the truli houses.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yikes, I'm just starting to Flickr some of your recommendations. I hulu-ed some of Rick Steve's Italy segments too. I'm wondering if I should just concentrate on a certain region in Italy like Amalfi, or Cinque Terra...etc. Instead of doing a whirl wind throughout Italy. Thanks for the World Heritage site tip XYZ.

Also, I was wondering if it's best to just rent a car and go from city to city or take the train. The car rental seems ideal because you can cover more territory and stay in places that you like and pick up and leave cities that don't really appeal to you. Also you can reach quaint and small towns that might not have train service or regular train service.

Has anyone traveled to Sicily? I wonder what it's like down there.

The vast majority of my travels in Italy have been by car. It frees you up to make a last minute decision and turn a small road just to see where it goes. Many of my favorite memories are of discovering small, off the beaten path villages.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
The vast majority of my travels in Italy have been by car.

One of my favorite things to do in Italy is floor even the wimpiest car on the Strada; everyone makes way, if you are faster, no matter the vehicle. And some of the country roads are beyond compare. As my Italian friend says: "Italian men do everything slow, except driving."

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The vast majority of my travels in Italy have been by car. It frees you up to make a last minute decision and turn a small road just to see where it goes. Many of my favorite memories are of discovering small, off the beaten path villages.

Do you have a trick in finding a nice place to stay when you arrive in a new town say at evening time?

"Italian men do everything slow, except driving."

LOL...

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Do you have a trick in finding a nice place to stay when you arrive in a new town say at evening time?

LOL...

I've stayed in castles, monastaries, convents and dives. When I know where I'm going I scout out nice places to stay before I get there. If I roll into a place in the evening that I know nothing about, I find a local restaurant, eat there and afterwards ask them to recommend a good place to stay.

I once arrived in a village in Spain during Holy Week and spent the night sleeping in a police cell. It was the only place available.

Maxime_

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Can anyone quote Milano??? I mean,it is one of the most important cities in the World! one should see it once in his/her life! It doesn't have as many historical places as Rome but it is very enjoyable....you can have much fun! we say that Rome is a city that lives outside( monuments,much to see),but Milan lives inside(fashion,shopping,clubs,very peculiar places,very chic). From Milan you can easily move around the lakes(Como and Garda) and move to Venice or Verona(the city of Romeo and Juliet) by train...:)

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Can anyone quote Milano??? I mean,it is one of the most important cities in the World! one should see it once in his/her life! It doesn't have as many historical places as Rome but it is very enjoyable....you can have much fun! we say that Rome is a city that lives outside( monuments,much to see),but Milan lives inside(fashion,shopping,clubs,very peculiar places,very chic). From Milan you can easily move around the lakes(Como and Garda) and move to Venice or Verona(the city of Romeo and Juliet) by train...:)

I completely agree with you about Milano, but because the OP wanted the most beautiful cities in Italy I left it off the list. Milan is definitely well worth a visit for all the reasons you mention, but it's not even on the list of Italy's most beautiful cities really. :wink:

D

deleted3782

Find the tourist information bureau ... usually the "i" somewhere close to the town center. They have always hooked me up with perfectly good hotels at my price point, plus they have maps, tell you where to park your car...and other good tips.

ciaobella

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Most of the people I know who have been to Italy went to Rome, Venice and Florence.
A subset of which went also to Siena, Capri and Cinqueterre as well as Sicily and Sardinia.
If I weren't Italian, with a ticket to Italy, I'd go to:

1) Rome (still a MUST)
2) Bologna (oldest University)
3) Genoa (Coolest harbor)
4) Florence (for the FOOD and the architecture)
5) Verona and the Garda Lake (monuments and history, and you'll surprised by how this city is clean and truly awesome)
6) Gargano (Gargano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
7) Turin (most popular firms)
8) Venice (avoid summertime)
9) Sicily all the island in general
10) Naples

brooklynjackp

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Siena - and branch out.
Or Perugia - and branch out.
I am very fond of Torino - not a tourist hot spot, just a beautiful old Italian city w/aFrench flavor. My favorite spot - the Consolata. Have a Bicerin coffee at the exquisite cafe opposite, walk along the PO and at 11pm and see the extraordinary Italians at play .....
Make it the trip of a lifetime - shouldnt be difficult <g>

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I saw the movie "The American," recently. Do Italians in small towns welcome Americans or tourists, in general?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I saw the movie "The American," recently. Do Italians in small towns welcome Americans or tourists, in general?

I can't speak for Italian reactions to American tourists, but I've only ever found them to be warm, hospitable, friendly, and extremely helpful and friendly. In fact in many cases almost embarrassingly so to a reserved northern European like myself... :redface::tongue:

Nottswanker

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can't speak for Italian reactions to American tourists, but I've only ever found them to be warm, hospitable, friendly, and extremely helpful and friendly. In fact in many cases almost embarrassingly so to a reserved northern European like myself... :redface::tongue:
that's especially true in the South. They can be a bit more aloof in the North, but they're rarely rude.