What are the biggest problems in America right now

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 10 2005, 02:00 PM
1. Current energy situation. You can't simply just put big red X's through energy-rich areas of the country and make them off-limit to exploration simply because it offends your sensibilities. Old sources can be married to emerging technologies to greatly improve our situation.
You can conserve too. Oh wait your body Shrub doesn't want to do that.

2. Fiscal policies at the state and federal level.
Such as tax cuts for the upper-most 1% and wars in Iraq.

3. Unfunded social program liabilities. Estimates vary, but we have in excess of $30 Trillion of pension, social security, medicare, medicaid, etc., committments that lack the money to back them up during this century.
You realize the national debt's only $8 trillion.

4. The current health care system.
Agreed. Most countries switched to nationalized health care years ago.

5. BINO (Border in name only) between us and Mexico. We have to end illegal immigration.
Actually, most illegal immigrants come via plane.

6. The concept of government bureaucracies. They have become black holes that are sucking in nothing but money and generating little except ineptitude. There needs to be a total reworking of how services are delivered/responses handled in both everyday and crisis situations.
Too true.

7. Regulations and regulation manuals on every subject, in every industry, that are already 10 miles thick and becoming thicker. Violate one and spend the rest of your life in court.
That's because of so-called 'deregulation'.

8. Current education system. Spending goes up and up, yet our rank among other nations seldom rises and struggles not to fall. Failure to improve in the fields of math and science will ensure a whole host of problems in the near future if not addressed.
That's because saying evolution is 'just a theory'.

9. Judicial fiat. Courts haved moved beyond their original purpose of interpreting laws to the arena of creating laws.
Case in point, Bush v. Gore.

10. ACLU - The Anti-Christian League of Unbelievers has essentially become the face of a movement whereby it's believed the customs and traditions of society are unimportant if they so much as "offend" one person who doesn't share them. Multiculturalists preach how we should respect other cultures but fail to see (or care) how they're banishing ours at the same time.
[post=350383]Quoted post[/post]​
You realize the majority of the ACLU's religious cases are about gay-bashings, prejudice against Muslims, teaching creationism, etc.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Oct 10 2005, 10:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Oct 10 2005, 10:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong@Oct 10 2005, 10:00 PM
10. ACLU - The Anti-Christian League of Unbelievers
oh fuck off
[post=350389]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

yup. It&#39;s not anti-Christian, it&#39;s anti-Christian government. fuck off again.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
1) 1/3 of its citizens still believing that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11.

2) The gap between rich and poor continuing to grow, yet few leaders even talking about it, despite pictures from Hurricane Katrina.

3) Even on huge issues like war and peace, precious little debate takes place between its politicians or citizens.

I consider these the biggest problems with longest lasting concequences.

Luke

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
1- Encourage reserch into alternative fuels. Our dependance on Middle east oil is what empowers them.
2- Limit the role of government in our private lives, which includes both fiscally and socially. Our "freedom" includes the responsibility we have for our own lives, dependance on the government makes us slaves. And yes, corporations need the freedom they have to make money protected.( I do not mean to say that they should be allowed to do "anything" to make money, but the simple act of making and accumulating a large sum of money should not be illegal. It may be evil to some, but so is making graven images.)
3-Once limited, the government&#39;s role will be reduced the public education, utilities, protection, public transport, etc. Spending will go down, taxes will go down, deficit will dissappear.
4-Create a new department called "The department of Executive fellatio" and get daily blowjobs from barely legal women.
5-Smoke a cigarette.
6-die.
7-Leave a legacy.

p.s. By "barely legal" i mean both just over eighteen, and from Mexico.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by GottaBigOne@Oct 11 2005, 06:22 AM
1- Encourage reserch into alternative fuels. Our dependance on Middle east oil is what empowers them.
2- Limit the role of government in our private lives, which includes both fiscally and socially. Our "freedom" includes the responsibility we have for our own lives, dependance on the government makes us slaves. And yes, corporations need the freedom they have to make money protected.( I do not mean to say that they should be allowed to do "anything" to make money, but the simple act of making and accumulating a large sum of money should not be illegal. It may be evil to some, but so is making graven images.)
3-Once limited, the government&#39;s role will be reduced the public education, utilities, protection, public transport, etc. Spending will go down, taxes will go down, deficit will dissappear.
4-Create a new department called "The department of Executive fellatio" and get daily blowjobs from barely legal women.
5-Smoke a cigarette.
6-die.
7-Leave a legacy.

p.s. By "barely legal" i mean both just over eighteen, and from Mexico.
[post=350471]Quoted post[/post]​

Hugs GBO and rolls through field of daisies with him*

The only thing that I would add to that is to increase accountablility. I think any politician should be held accountable to KEEP his campaign promises or lose his position. Period. Also, while I support corporations being able to have free rein to make money, they SHOULD NOT have power to influence government, and that is where an overwhelming amount of corruption has taken place. They should not be able to "bribe" politicians with money and gifts to get favorable laws inacted, that goes beyond fair trade and freedom to make money.

Also, separation of church and state needs to be vehemently enforced. Most of the idiots who support theocrasy are entirely unaware that our first six presidents were either agnositc or Unitarian, which meant something very different at that time. There was great care taken early on to keep religion out of our government, not that there weren&#39;t plenty of the framers of the constitution who would have liked to see THEIR particular church named the One True Religion- it was avoided like the plague it was and should be kept as such.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora+Oct 11 2005, 04:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Oct 11 2005, 04:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Oct 10 2005, 10:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong
@Oct 10 2005, 10:00 PM

oh fuck off

yup. It&#39;s not anti-Christian, it&#39;s anti-Christian government. fuck off again.
[post=350434]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Gee, three can play this sophisticated game. Why don&#39;t both of you go fuck off? When being the day&#39;s #1 posters (or being on the lifetime top 10) entitles you to censor content, let me know and I&#39;ll be sure to run things by you.

Moving on, when it comes to the political side of this forum, if you blue-state types would quit stereotyping red-staters (Jesus Land on the maps in case you can&#39;t find us) you really could make something more of this forum besides a slash and burn mentality. Otherwise, all your knee-jerk attacks/responses prove is that your true definition of diversity is people who all look different yet think alike.

Jon, good regurgitation of a New York Times-styled talking points memo.

Jay, you avoid friends simply because they are &#39;rabid&#39; Evangelicals? How is this the fault of the federal government and/or the discourse in DC? I wasn&#39;t aware we had a second coming of the Era of Good Feelings that Bush&#39;s election in 2000 brought about an end to.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by jay_too@Oct 10 2005, 01:34 PM
9. A lack of civility between the parties is trickling down to the grassroots. [I am beginning to avoid socializing with rabid evangelical Christians despite having been friends for years.]
[post=350279]Quoted post[/post]​
BND,

Some believe that civility is important in society. The Republican candidate in 2000 promised to restore civility to government and end the divisiveness that characterized the preceding eight years. I believe that we are more divided today...so much for another campaign promise. Why? In large part because those who call themselves the religious right do not want to compromise with those who do not share their beliefs [fantasies]. Without civility there maybe no middle ground; compromise has been a basic underpinning of our form of government.

The religious right has formulated the debate over national issues as "them against us." There is no middle ground. I think that the base has influenced many state and federal lawmakers to take a no holds "approach" to governing. The base is energized by this.

As the dialogue has become more strident, I no longer willingly put up with the Falwell/Dobson/DeLay garbage. Avoidance is my method. Last night I caught the end of PBS&#39;s News Hour when Richard Rodriguez pointed out that he no longer sought the company of fellow Christians but felt more at home assocating with agnostics and athetists. Until then, I thought that I was alone in avoiding many Christians.

jay

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Jay,

Yes, it was a campaign promise from the guy that said he&#39;s a "uniter, not a divider". Combine it with the theme of "restoring civility" and it all made for some effective tv commercials, I&#39;m sure. To seriously expect that it could be delivered on, or even that he would attempt to deliver on it, doesn&#39;t make sense. It&#39;s the same as when the loser after a presidental election says some kind of clap-trap about "how we should all come together as Americans and support the President/President-elect and unite the country". Nice words, that&#39;s all.

Politics has changed a lot over the past quarter century, with both parties losing their centrist voices and becoming parties of hard, fast choices. The boll weevil Democrats of the 1980&#39;s are most likely all Republicans now, and the liberal Republicans are being pushed out of their party slowly but surely.

Just because the Republicans are in power now you think we&#39;re the ones who hold the copyright on how it&#39;s played. Switch all of the pending bills in Congress to reflect liberal ideology, put the Democrats in charge tomorrow, and you&#39;d have the same arguments and disagreements coming out of DC. Nobody would be united any more than they are now. Both sides have master&#39;s degrees in knowing how to play to their bases, so I don&#39;t feel your party lacks when it comes to that arena.

For those less- or non-religious avoiding their Christian friends, or vice-versa, I just hope they see past it all before none of us remember how to get along. If those of us at the very bottom won&#39;t take time to get along, then those parading in front of the cameras in DC every day aren&#39;t going to be bothered with it.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
brainzz_n_dong,Oct 11 2005, 10:49 PM]
oh fuck off

[post=350434]Quoted post[/post]​

Gee, three can play this sophisticated game. Why don&#39;t both of you go fuck off? When being the day&#39;s #1 posters (or being on the lifetime top 10) entitles you to censor content, let me know and I&#39;ll be sure to run things by you.

BND, we&#39;ve been here before, this should sound familiar- you ARE free to post whatever you want, and I AM free to respond. You have no need to believe that your posts will go unopposed if you post something as obviously inflamatory as what you did.

Moving on, when it comes to the political side of this forum, if you blue-state types would quit stereotyping red-staters (Jesus Land on the maps in case you can&#39;t find us) you really could make something more of this forum besides a slash and burn mentality. Otherwise, all your knee-jerk attacks/responses prove is that your true definition of diversity is people who all look different yet think alike.

Well apparently that only applies to the democrats, or how do you explain these?

Jay, you avoid friends simply because they are &#39;rabid&#39; Evangelicals? How is this the fault of the federal government and/or the discourse in DC? I wasn&#39;t aware we had a second coming of the Era of Good Feelings that Bush&#39;s election in 2000 brought about an end to.

We certainly did have the end of an era of good feelings for our fellow man. I NEVER resented my fellow Americans or Christians until THIS administration&#33; I didn&#39;t agree with them on many counts, but I didn&#39;t hold them accountable for pissing away MY civil rights as they are doing now. You don&#39;t want to take responsibility? Fine, but you are certainly NOT civil to me or to anyone else who disagrees with you, so until you practise what you preach, try preaching to someone who gives a shit.
[post=350655]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Zora,

If you count "oh fuck off" and "fuck off again" as responses, well forgive me for misinterpreting it as attack-oriented. I will know next time that you offer one up, they&#39;re terms of affection and intended to be intelligent, yet brief, responses on your part.

It funny that the one person who makes quite an effort over time to curse and/or blast everyone else at some point that doesn&#39;t share your worldview complains about not being treated civilly. I post the way I post. I talk the way I talk. I do not expressly try to offend anyone. If I happen to offend you 99% of the time, then it must simply be because I&#39;m alive, conservative, and republican, and there ain&#39;t much gonna change about that in the near future so I guess you&#39;ll have to go on being offended.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 11 2005, 09:21 PM
If you count "oh fuck off" and "fuck off again" as responses, well forgive me for misinterpreting it as attack-oriented.
[post=350721]Quoted post[/post]​

You didn&#39;t misinterpret them as attack-oriented, you accused them of trying to censor you.

orionsword57: .....increase accountablility. I think any politician should be held accountable to KEEP his campaign promises or lose his position.

The breakdown of accountability at ALL levels of life and society is the single biggest problem in our country and the world.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 12 2005, 04:21 AM
Zora,

If you count "oh fuck off" and "fuck off again" as responses, well forgive me for misinterpreting it as attack-oriented. I will know next time that you offer one up, they&#39;re terms of affection and intended to be intelligent, yet brief, responses on your part.

I never claimed to be civil or support the idea that civility was important. Quite the reverse, I have said than being civil in cricumstances where my rights are being threatened would not be a worthy goal. Learn to read.

It funny that the one person who makes quite an effort over time to curse and/or blast everyone else at some point that doesn&#39;t share your worldview complains about not being treated civilly. I post the way I post. I talk the way I talk. I do not expressly try to offend anyone. If I happen to offend you 99% of the time, then it must simply be because I&#39;m alive, conservative, and republican, and there ain&#39;t much gonna change about that in the near future so I guess you&#39;ll have to go on being offended.
[post=350721]Quoted post[/post]​

Once again, I never said that. Who the fuck are you responding to? What I detest about talking to you is the when you are beaten, you just change the objection. You accused me of censorship, which I clearly did not do. Now you claim I requested civility, please show me where.

I&#39;m not offended by your opinions, they are easily enough dismissed considering your stance, but I am offended by your debate techniques. Try answering MY words instead of putting words into my mouth to answer because it will be easier for you.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
I never claimed to be civil or support the idea that civility was important. Quite the reverse, I have said than being civil in cricumstances where my rights are being threatened would not be a worthy goal. Learn to read. (emphasis added by me)

This is simply a forum where people can discuss rights, policies, ideas, etc. Nobody here is expressly threatening your rights or trying to take them away. It&#39;s just who I am when I bring up the civility issue in regards to a forum discussion. There are a lot of words in the English language we can choose to use and select a way to arrange them so as to make a point without that point feeling like it&#39;s coming from the end of a pitchfork. In addition, you are one of the more prolific posters here with a total nearing 5,000. I can&#39;t vouch for each and every thing you may have said over time as to the method to the madness as it relates to how you conduct discussions and such.

It&#39;s funny that the one person who makes quite an effort over time to curse and/or blast everyone else at some point that doesn&#39;t share your worldview complains about not being treated civilly

Once again, I never said that.

True enough. Just like there exists verbal and body language, which can say different things, there is direct and indirect communication through writing. Excuse me if I&#39;m wrong, but it doesn&#39;t take an honors scholar to see that if I or someone else disagrees with you, we&#39;d better have a flak jacket handy a majority of the time. On the few occasions where we&#39;ve been on the same page, I&#39;ve never gotten that vibe from you. No, I&#39;m not a psychologist, but I have been known to play doctor sometimes. If my analysis is incorrect, then so be it. It was free at least.

No, it&#39;s a free country and we&#39;re all welcome to talk here any darned way we want. I suppose I can be accused of coming off as a bit self-righteous in here complaining about the tone because in the college/political/debate world where I exist, you don&#39;t get bonus points because of how many times in a week you can creatively curse in a discussion.

Beaten?? I didn&#39;t respond to your questions from two posts ago because I felt I put it clearly enough. I thought I&#39;d chime in with my "top 10" list, on what was post #20 in this thread, and the first two responses it gets are the F-bomb. Sorry, I just don&#39;t make a practice of F-bombing others, no matter what they say, and tend to get rude when replying to it. You don&#39;t like personal attacks, I don&#39;t like the F-bomb in response to things I say. We all have, I guess, this quasi-list of things we try to do to get through the day, and one of them for me is keeping cursing at a minimum. I most definitely try to do that on subjects like politics. I&#39;d say the feelings run deep enough on most political subjects without adding gasoline to the fire.

On a more general note, if you wonder why I don&#39;t respond to all the points in your posts (and some of your friends), maybe it&#39;s because of what I call "HalliBushCheneyRoveOil" syndrome. Liberals think that they&#39;ve uncovered 5 pillars of evil in the modern world when they consider those five subjects. They come off as hoping that if they scream about these loudly and often enough that perhaps people will listen and they&#39;ll finally win an election. To paraphrase a wise man from within this forum, why don&#39;t they instead try coming up with a positive message of hope, party-building, and attempting to reach out to those that no longer support them instead of just engaging in continual histrionics?

Why should I waste the occasional 3 hours plus fighting a post or series of posts that perpetuate some version of the &#39;syndrome&#39; when the only result of it will be carpal tunnel syndrome on all our parts and nobody having changed their positions one iota. Republicans are FAR from infallible. Yes, I am one but I don&#39;t support all they want to do. I&#39;d like to think there are Democrats that feel the same within their party but I seldom get that impression here.

I know you&#39;ve stated to me before that you&#39;ve had political allegiances that have varied over time. I respect that, but the only Zora I hear from in 2005 hates, hates, hates anything and everything that is Republican/conservative. Whatever reasons or justifications you feel you have, realize you&#39;re lumping a lot of people into that basket when you generalize. I risk doing the same when I generalize about you and others in the room. I&#39;ll promise to elaborate more if/when I throw a post your way down the road.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 11 2005, 02:49 PM
Well, it&#39;s so easy to discredit you, seeing as I&#39;ve read YOUR talking points in Newsmax, the Washington Times, Freerepublic, and any other site for those of much faith and little IQ.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 11 2005, 02:49 PM
When brainzz_n_dong considers any criticism a form of censorship.