What are the biggest problems in America right now

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Oct 13 2005, 06:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Oct 13 2005, 06:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong@Oct 13 2005, 11:26 PM
Can we not have separation of church and state yet still respect the fact that the overwhelming majority of the people that live in this country are indeed Christian?
[post=351437]Quoted post[/post]​
well, in a word: no.
[post=351441]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
That quote is loaded. It all depends on what you or I mean by the word "respect." The word recognize might be a better word. And the word "Christian" is loaded as well. Who defines what a Christian is? And the word"Overwhelming " is the third loaded term here. What constitutes "overwhelming?" The last figures I read were that about 90 per cent of Americans believe in some type of God. About 60 % of Americans are members of some organized religion and most of that number is afflicated with an organization that claims to be Christian.

There is a vast diference in the beliefs of people claiming to be Christian. So the number of Christians in America is dependent on the definitions of the person doing the counting.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by Freddie53+Oct 14 2005, 02:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Freddie53 &#064; Oct 14 2005, 02:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Oct 13 2005, 06:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong
@Oct 13 2005, 11:26 PM
Can we not have separation of church and state yet still respect the fact that the overwhelming majority of the people that live in this country are indeed Christian?

[post=351441]Quoted post[/post]​
That quote is loaded. It all depends on what you or I mean by the word "respect."
[post=351500]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
exactly my point. and I think we can all figure out what brainzz_n_dong meant by it.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Your attitude doesn&#39;t surpise me rock. Saddens, but not surprising. You can&#39;t begin to find it in you that a Christian might actually be shooting straight with you and doing his best to lay it all out there, so it&#39;s easier to just slam the door and not even try. Better to keep fighting than to acknowledge there could be a risky peace out there for us to all try, eh?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 13 2005, 11:26 PM
Sigh,

I&#39;m so happy to see that you went to so much effort to defeat something that I&#39;ve never personally advocated to you or anyone else, which is basically implementing policies, laws, and ways of treating people that effectively change out country&#39;s name to the United Christian States of America. People are free to practice any religion, or none at all, that they choose. Yes, the founders and other notable men of early America made it clear that church and state had separate and important roles to play in daily life, but rightfully emphasized "separate". Turning the government over to the Catholic Church, The Southern Baptist Convention, James Dobson, Jerry Falwell, or anyone else you can think of has never arisen in my mind as a goal worthy of striving for. In the interest of spelling things out, I&#39;ll lay out what my precise griefs are and you can go from there.

I don&#39;t pretend to speak for all Christians, only for myself. What I find detestable is the politically correct notion that has taken root in this country that ANYTHING to do with a Christian symbol, be it an historical religious symbol that has been on a city&#39;s seal for decades, a nativity or manger scene in a Christmas display during the holiday season, or a high school football coach that has been told it&#39;s now all of the sudden wrong for him to even be in the room listening while his players freely engage in a team prayer prior to their meal and game, this after being a part of the tradition for nearly a quarter of a century. These are just three examples, but they cover the spectrum fairly well.

Can we not have separation of church and state yet still respect the fact that the overwhelming majority of the people that live in this country are indeed Christian? If there is but one speck of Christian symbolism out in the open somewhere is THAT such a crime that it has to be adjudicated because one individual finds it offensive? There is nothing wrong with investigating and celebrating the positive diversity that Muslims, Hindus, or anyone else brings to our shores. The non-religious among us should be able to contribute something to the life of everyone in this country without feeling that you have to impose your belief set upon others or vice versa. That has been a hallmark of our strength versus the rest of the world over the passage of time. But does that also mean our own uniqueness, that has been built upon and expanded over the decades and two plus centuries since our inception as an independent nation, has to be extinguished bit by bit, piece by piece, in order to accomplish that? To some it would seem so. And, since the ACLU is the poster child for cases like these, hence my dislike of the organization. I have no doubt they do undertake some positive initiatives, but they&#39;re best known for what we&#39;re talking about here.

This seeming continual erosion of what Christians hold dear is behind what you perceive to be an attempt to upend the Constitution and rewrite it from a church&#39;s pulpit. Zora, it&#39;s just like conspiracy theory in many ways. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence. Sometimes a religious display on a courthouse square is just one person trying to outdo their friend down the road at the hardware store. Yes, they&#39;re using examples of their faith to do it with and you can decide if that is wrong or worth pursuing, but you&#39;d seriously be pressed to find out, I&#39;d wager, that these scenes were ever set up with the intent that "hey, it&#39;s time to convert as many non-believers as possible, so make it bigger-n-better than last year&#39;s." Would not a better answer be to include displays that pay homage to many different views, where possible? I have no problem with other religions wanting public space to celebrate the views of their culture. Since so many in everyday life tune out traditional ways of learning things, that could conceivably open a few eyes and help promote diversity....besides each side meeting up and arguing in court rooms, that is.

If you boil things down to the principle that if one person objects to something then you have to do away with it, then we&#39;d have little in this country to agree upon. Now, if all I&#39;ve written still sounds like I&#39;m advocating Mr. Falwell or Mr. Robertson be installed as our 44th President, then I guess you&#39;re set on missing the point of where I come from on the whole subject. As I&#39;ve said in this posting, church and state should be separate. I suppose you can always argue on the full meaning of the word "separate", if you&#39;re dedicated to arguing. I can no more easily leave behind the fact I&#39;m a Christian in the everyday world than someone who weighs 400 lbs can the fact they&#39;re obese, for example. While I don&#39;t speak for any Christians besides myself, I would say that if things changed from what is perceived as continual secular attacks on the traditional and/or ceremonial role of God in our daily lives, and instead focused on how to integrate as many viewpoints as possible and respect ALL of them while doing so, accomodations might have to be made but us bothersome Christians might crawl back in our caves and go back to our daily lives and leave you alone. Maybe I&#39;m wrong, but it&#39;s just one wing nut&#39;s opinion.

BnD, I appreciate your taking the time to outline what you do believe. I think sometimes when we are arguing abstractly it become valuless to either of us.
While I can appreciate your viewpoints and can agree with some of them, there are a few that I just see differently, and it&#39;s in terms of impact.

First, I in no way wish to limit the rights of Christians to practise their faith, I only wish to not have it imposed improperly on the rest of society. I can&#39;t see any viable argument for government agencies to be displaying symbols of any religion, the obvious implicationg being that the US is a Christian nation. We DON&#39;T have Hindu gods on our courthouses, so I&#39;m not picking on Christians, it&#39;s just that they are the religion that has insisted on plastering their logos on municipal buildings. It doesn&#39;t matter in the least if it&#39;s a "decades old tradition" if it limits the freedom of and from religion for others, even if they ARE a minority. See, this is where we&#39;ve argued before (I think). When only the rights of the majority are respected, that is not "Liberty and justice for all", and that&#39;s wrong. Where there is a majority of one party/mangled/with/religion in the house, senate and presidency, that is not "fair and balanced" and the rights of those in the minority party are not being respected at all, not even a little bit. This is the problem with majority only rules, the rights of the minorites are not just diminshed, they are destroyed.

Whether or not you are a proponent for mixing religion with government, which you say you are not, you must certainly understand that it is being done. It&#39;s not a conspiracy theory, it&#39;s happening right in front of us, what are you not seeing? I&#39;ve been saying for a long time the difference between "us" and "then" meaning left and right, if my side wins, we all get the same rights, even me. If their side wins, their rights increase while mine disentigrate. That&#39;s what&#39;s happening now, and the reason why I&#39;m mad and you&#39;re not is because these things are okay with you, you agree with the changes, and that&#39;s fine. (here I mean the right wing side, not necessarily you personally). What&#39;s NOT fine is the fact that our government is now involved to a minute degree in our personal lives and that is to the disgrace of us all.

I have challenged the board several times to show me how this administration is fiscally conservative, or reducing government, and I&#39;ve gotten no response at all. The reason is obvious, at least to me, it is not really Republican at all&#33; Those are the things that republicans say are earmarks of what they believe in, so what&#39;s the buzz?
So what does almost every person I talk to say when I ask them what they like about this administration? "Christian" is the only answer I get, and it infuriates me. Government has NO FUCKING BUSINESS being determined based on religion. bush should NOT be able to appoint a supreme court justice based on the fact that she&#39;s a Christian fundamentalist. We the people had NO business at all even considering any person&#39;s religion as any part of their qualifying for a position in government, NONE at all&#33; Our forefathers are rolling in their graves, but we don&#39;t care. We just ignore the past and egotistically think we can make the same mistkes and expect different results. Insanity.

You see, I really am a conservative in many senses. I am incensed that we are worrying about decades old traditions more than our Constitution&#33; I am all about a deep and cleansing political reform act, and have all this nonsense be done with. Would you object to just starting fresh, with the documents of our government structure and adhere to it is it was intended at the time?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sigh,

I don&#39;t pretend to speak for all Christians, only for myself.  What I find detestable is the politically correct notion that has taken root in this country that ANYTHING to do with a Christian symbol, be it an historical religious symbol that has been on a city&#39;s seal for decades, a nativity or manger scene in a Christmas display during the holiday season, or a high school football coach that has been told it&#39;s now all of the sudden wrong for him to even be in the room listening while his players freely engage in a team prayer prior to their meal and game, this after being a part of the tradition for nearly a quarter of a century.  These are just three examples, but they cover the spectrum fairly well.

BnD, I appreciate your taking the time to outline what you do believe. I think sometimes when we are arguing abstractly it become valuless to either of us.
While I can appreciate your viewpoints and can agree with some of them, there are a few that I just see differently, and it&#39;s in terms of impact.

First, I in no way wish to limit the rights of Christians to practise their faith, I only wish to not have it imposed improperly on the rest of society. I can&#39;t see any viable argument for government agencies to be displaying symbols of any religion, the obvious implicationg being that the US is a Christian nation. We DON&#39;T have Hindu gods on our courthouses, so I&#39;m not picking on Christians, it&#39;s just that they are the religion that has insisted on plastering their logos on municipal buildings. It doesn&#39;t matter in the least if it&#39;s a "decades old tradition" if it limits the freedom of and from religion for others, even if they ARE a minority. See, this is where we&#39;ve argued before (I think). When only the rights of the majority are respected, that is not "Liberty and justice for all", and that&#39;s wrong. Where there is a majority of one party/mangled/with/religion in the house, senate and presidency, that is not "fair and balanced" and the rights of those in the minority party are not being respected at all, not even a little bit. This is the problem with majority only rules, the rights of the minorites are not just diminshed, they are destroyed.

What&#39;s NOT fine is the fact that our government is now involved to a minute degree in our personal lives and that is to the disgrace of us all.

I have challenged the board several times to show me how this administration is fiscally conservative, or reducing government, and I&#39;ve gotten no response at all. The reason is obvious, at least to me, it is not really Republican at all&#33; Those are the things that republicans say are earmarks of what they believe in, so what&#39;s the buzz?

So what does almost every person I talk to say when I ask them what they like about this administration? "Christian" is the only answer I get, and it infuriates me. Government has NO FUCKING BUSINESS being determined based on religion. bush should NOT be able to appoint a supreme court justice based on the fact that she&#39;s a Christian fundamentalist. We the people had NO business at all even considering any person&#39;s religion as any part of their qualifying for a position in government, NONE at all&#33; Our forefathers are rolling in their graves, but we don&#39;t care. We just ignore the past and egotistically think we can make the same mistkes and expect different results. Insanity.

You see, I really am a conservative in many senses. I am incensed that we are worrying about decades old traditions more than our Constitution&#33; Would you object to just starting fresh, with the documents of our government structure and adhere to it is it was intended at the time?
[post=351633]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote

Freddie:

First, the poor football coach that can&#39;t pray with his team. This is not being reported accurately. Any orgaization can be on a high school campus that is not terrorist or designed for the sole purpose of distrupting the campus what ever meams available.

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes can have the coach as their sponsor and they can pray all they want to as part of their club. What the coach can&#39;t do is have the WHOLE team pray together under his direction. If a group of boys want to pray and invite him to pray with them, certainly the coach can do so. The criteria is that the coach in no way uses his position to "encourage" team members to be a part of a team prayer. Prayer can&#39;t be initiated as part of a school function. Clubs at the school are a different matter.

About Christian symbols in public places. The courts have sent mixed symbols. The key is the purpose of the symbol and how it came to be displayed. If its main purpose is to encourage a particular religion than it is not legal.

During the holidays all the symbols are usually OK provided they are ALL present. Several displays that show Santa, the Christ Child, Hanakah, etc. would be constitutional.

It would be unconsittutional to study the belief system of every major culture EXCEPT the HEBREWS. It would be unconstitutional to only study the belief system of the HEBREWS as well.

It takes some common sense which seems to be laking lately here in America.

And Jana, what is liberal and what is conservative? You make a good point. You are constitutionally conservative when it comes to the understanding of the intent of the Founders in writing the Constitution.

The religious right can disagree all they want about this issue, but it is very clear what the Founders intended. That doesn&#39;t make the Founders right. But if we are going to claim that our position is based on the Founders beliefs, then we need to correctly state what the Founders wrote and believed.

There is no way we can use the writings of George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson or Benjamen Franklin to support the inposition of a theocratic state.

For the record, I consider you. Jana. to be Christian. No, not completely orthodox and certainly not fundie. But you make it clear that you follow the teachings of Jesus. You may follows others as well. That is fine. But as far as I am concerned you meet the criteria to call yourself Christian. A Christian is a person who follows the examples and beliefs of Jesus. You yourself have said you do.

Dorset

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I myself am a Christian but I think that it is wrong to force beliefs onto anyone.

I also think that all religeous symbols should appear in court rather than just Christian ones and that coach should not be allowed to force all his players to pray to his God

Many Christians only seem to read the parts that they want to in the Bible, Jesus didn&#39;t force his view on anyone. More often than not he would hold his speaches outside of villages and wait for people to come over to him because they wanted to hear what he had to say. I challenge anyone to find reference to an enforced prayer session in the Bible

The Christian church is so right wing in America, that is one of the reasons why the Vatican have been trying to distance themselves from the US churches for so long. I understand that Pope John-Paul almost cut links altogether, and for the US to be more right wing than him should tell you that you&#39;re on a bad road

Christianity should not be oppressive, at least not to the extent that it has got to in the US

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
May I add a British point of view to this (I haven&#39;t read all the posts on this thread, so apolgies if anyone has already said this)
I think, as do many people around the world do, that a primary problem in America is the Constitution itself. Namely the Right to bear arms. This is a right that was created in frontier time, cowboys and indians, to put it in a simplictic term. Those times have been long gone since the early part of the last century. There really is no reason for &#39;John Doe&#39; (note the name) in the centre of a city to have a weapon that is made to, at best, mame other living things. At worst kill. Defense is in no way an excuse to have a gun. No way. What are you defending yourself from? Other people with legal guns. I heard a statistic recently that said a high proportion of murders in the US were committed using perfectly legal guns. (Can&#39;t remember the exact figure, but it was surprisingly high)
OK, if you&#39;re gonna be a criminal, you&#39;re not exactly worried whether your gun is illegal or not, but if you take away the temptaion from the nutters you&#39;re gonna cut murders down considerably.
This is the major view point of many people from around the world. Another problem with America is that it is far too insular. A general view from outside says that Americans spend too much time thinking they are great and not enough on the problems that are hidden from the rest of the world. (Many that are coming more prevelent to us now)

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by HappyHammer1977@Oct 14 2005, 04:46 PM
I think, as do many people around the world do, that a primary problem in America is the Constitution itself. Namely the Right to bear arms.
[post=351712]Quoted post[/post]​
yeah, it&#39;s far healthier to just ban everything potentially more dangerous than a soggy teabag. :eyes:

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Oct 14 2005, 05:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Oct 14 2005, 05:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HappyHammer1977@Oct 14 2005, 04:46 PM
I think, as do many people around the world do, that a primary problem in America is the Constitution itself. Namely the Right to bear arms.
[post=351712]Quoted post[/post]​
yeah, it&#39;s far healthier to just ban everything potentially more dangerous than a soggy teabag. :eyes:
[post=351715]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

You can kill someone with a soggy teabag by stuffing it down their throat, but thats not what it&#39;s made for. A gun is made to mame and kill. Full stop. Anyone, and I don&#39;t mean to be insulting or patronising here, but ANYONE who belives different is truly diluded and/or igorant.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by HappyHammer1977
Hmmm. Let&#39;s talk about threats for a minute, shall we? You know what&#39;s bad about threats? They&#39;re always present, even if you can&#39;t see them. Drowning isn&#39;t a threat if I&#39;m in the middle of the Sahara, but if I&#39;m in a pool it is. If I live in a society with criminals and under a government which has and acquires more and more power, I think that might be considered a threat whether you or anyone else qualifies it as immediate or not.

:thumbsdown: to this man Dr. Dilznick with his gun and his ability to protect his motherfucking home, property and the dignity of his girlfriend, not to mention her life when the government you so trust fails to do just that against ravenous heathens.

:thumbsdown: to me.

Go back to posting under your "Fit Blonde" screen name.

Hoe.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dr Dilznick, I am a new member of your fan club. You are fuckin&#39; hilarious.

I personally believe the biggest problems in America right now are the ones GW Bush mentioned in his first state of the union:

1. Gay marriage :puke:

-- and --

2. Steroid use in professional athletics :nopity:

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Hung Muscle
Dr Dilznick, I am a new member of your fan club. You are fuckin&#39; hilarious.
There has been a recent opening for the position of President of my Fan Club. Email me your resume. We have decent benefits and a 41K.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by HappyHammer1977@Oct 14 2005, 04:54 PM
You can kill someone with a soggy teabag by stuffing it down their throat, but thats not what it&#39;s made for. A gun is made to mame and kill. Full stop.
[post=351716]Quoted post[/post]​
so? what&#39;s that got to do with the right or lack thereof to own one?

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by HappyHammer1977@Oct 14 2005, 12:54 PM
You can kill someone with a soggy teabag by stuffing it down their throat, but thats not what it&#39;s made for. A gun is made to mame and kill. Full stop. Anyone, and I don&#39;t mean to be insulting or patronising here, but ANYONE who belives different is truly diluded and/or igorant.
[post=351716]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, call me diluded and/or ignorant then. B/C this former ranch girl found them far easier to use than rocks when hunting for deer or rabbits. But then that probably makes me some buck-tooth backwoods freak now b/c I like to hunt.

Oh, and I do find it a bit comforting to have in my house late at night when my husband is away on business in case a perpetrator happens to come into my home. But oh wait, I live in New York. That doesn&#39;t happen here or probably not anywhere in the US anymore.

And just to clarify myself, I don&#39;t think as "maim and kill" meaning the same and "hunt" or "protect" which is the distinction that I am trying to make.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Shelby+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shelby)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dominik20
we are waiting for Hillary...

<s>If she gets the nomination</s> you can count on four more years of Republican leadership. I guarantee it.
[/b][/quote]
Fixed. The Republicans convinced the bumblefuck hicks that Kerry was the most liberal politician in American history. If they can be convinced of that, I don&#39;t think there is any realistic chance of them voting for anyone running under the label "Democrat."

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I could almost see Hillary as a Vice Presidential candidate, but the Presidential nominee would have to be..... one of Bush&#39;s cousins. Strongcock Bush/Hilary Clinton has a slight chance in &#39;08.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Dr Rock+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong

[/b][/quote]
Just out of curiosity, do you think that something as dear to people as their fundamental theological beliefs should be completely disregarded when voting a person into power?

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Oct 14 2005, 09:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Oct 14 2005, 09:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Dr Rock@
<!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong

Just out of curiosity, do you think that something as dear to people as their fundamental theological beliefs should be completely disregarded when voting a person into power?
[post=351811]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
not sure what you mean. I don&#39;t have any theological beliefs, so I disregard other people&#39;s by definition. dunno what voting&#39;s got to do with it.