What are the Signs and symptoms of speedo rot? aka Lycra Rot?

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What are the Signs and symptoms of speedo rot? aka Lycra Rot?

Just wondered if some of you guys out there with large speedo collection know what some of the signs and symptoms are of speedo rot as its known.

Also is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

(I've heard different people ideas on how to prevent it some people say the suits need air circulation and others say that they need to be sealed in air tight containers, and then I've heard other people go so far as the vacuum seal there suits in plastic bags.)

I've tried to lesson this by rather than storing my speedos and not wearing them, to just be like F*** it and just wear them and if one wears out it means I can get another new one. This is fine for most suits, but like my swim team suit from hs, I'd really prefer for it to not get messed up.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the fabric breaks down... often over the butt crack where the material is stretched. hold it up to light and you can see where the material is thinner. the material becomes more transparent and loses its stretch.

some lycra holds up better than other. I have trunks which have shown rot in less than a year and a few which have lasted from 5 to 15 years.

unfortunately, it's a fact of life.

D

deleted142346

I got in a splash fight with water from lake ontario near Toronto and the lycra in my speedo disintegrated over night. That was scary. It's good to rinse them out with fresh, cold water after each use.

SCSea

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ground-level ozone attacks the Lycra over time, too. I've had ones that look fine in the drawer, but when you pick them up, they're brittle, stretch once, and never go back into shape. It's the same forces that rot your windshield wiper blades and the like.