What are we going to do with all these leftovers? - Recipes follow

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Hickboy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I saw a guy make this on TV a few years ago, and have adapted the recipe a few times since then.

Smoked Turkey and Seafood Gumbo
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups yellow or white onions, chopped
    1/2 cup green bell peppers, chopped
    1/2 cup celery, chopped (optional - Hickboy hates celery)
    2 cups okra, sliced in 1/2" pieces
    1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/2 lb lump crab meat
    2 dozen oysters
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 pound smoked kielbasi (or andouille for the coonasses), chopped into 1/4" pieces
    2 quarts turkey stock, made from the carcass of one smoked turkey
    (Shrimp stock substitutes nicely for turkey stock, but you gotta boil the turkey to get the meat off the bone, so use what works.)
    Reserved turkey meat from broth
    Reserved onions from broth
    2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
    2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
    Gumbo Filé powder. I use Zatarain's because it's all I can find in NC.

Combine the oil and flour in a large cast-iron pot or Dutch oven to make a chocolate roux.
    In a bowl, season the onions, optional celery, okra, and bell peppers with the salt and cayenne. Add to the roux and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the cooled broth and bring to a boil.
    Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Add the reserved turkey meat and the reserved onions and celery and cook for 12-15 minutes. Add the shrimp and crab, then the parsley and green onions.
    Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning to taste.
    ADD THE OYSTERS AT THE VERY LAST SECOND BEFORE YOU BRING THE GUMBO TO THE TABLE! I have been known to just put them in sauce bowls at each place setting and let folks add them at the table. I like my oysters with a minimum of cooking, and many others do, too.

Serve over rice, with an appropriate hot bread on the side. Set out gumbo filé on the table so everybody can add however much they want. I do put hot sauce out too, but this recipe doesn't really need it due to the presence of a whole teaspoon of cayenne.

Note: It has no tomatoes in it. There's a place for tomatoes, but this is not it.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I posted this in the other thread. I also make Turkey Tetrazzini, I'll look for my recipe and post it later.

Hot Brown Recipe (From The Brown Hotel in Louisville KY)

Ingredients (Makes Two Hot Browns):

2 oz. Whole Butter
    2 oz. All Purpose Flour
    1 Qt. Heavy Cream
    1/2 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, Plus 1 Tablespoon for Garnish
    Salt & Pepper to Taste
    14 oz. Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast
    2 Slices of Texas Toast (Crust Trimmed)
    4 slices of Crispy Bacon
    2 Roma Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
    Paprika, Parsley
    In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until combined and forms a thick paste (roux). Continue to cook roux for two minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk whipping cream into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to simmer, about 2-3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

For each Hot Brown, place one slice of toast in an oven safe dish and cover with 7 ounces of turkey. Take the two halves of Roma tomato and set them alongside the base of turkey and toast. Next, pour one half of the Mornay sauce to completely cover the dish. Sprinkle with additional Pecorino Romano cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until cheese begins to brown and bubble. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika and parsley, and serve immediately.

3. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Turkey tetrazzini - one of my favorites.

4. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Turkey and Artichoke Heart Terrine

1 quart giblet gravy

1 tall can artichoke hearts

1 1/2 quart casserole full of cubed dry bread

My favorite dish for this has straight sides suitable for souffle. Open the can and arrange the artichoke hearts all the way around on top of the bread. Warm up the gravy so it pours, and cover the bread and vegetables entirely. Bake in medium oven until set. Eat warm, like spoon bread, or chill and slice.

I have also done this with leftover green bean casserole instead of the artichoke hearts! :tongue:

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Turkey Tetrazzini

(This was created by Escoffier in honor of Luisa Tetrazzini)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    Butter a 13X9 baking pan
    Take a half stick of butter and 1/2 cup flour and whisk over heat for a few minutes until it smells nutty. Remove from heat and whisk in 2 cups turkey or chicken stock until smooth. Return to heat and add 1 1/2 cups of either whole milk, Half & Half or cream. (I use half Half & Half and half cream) (This is the same recipe I follow to make the sauce for the Green Bean Casserole.)
    Meanwhile back to the Tetrazzini... whisk over med heat until there are no lump then stir in about a half pound of thinly sliced mushrooms that have been lightly sauteed in butter and add about a pound and a half of turkey meat and mix well. I add a few drops of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
    I mix this with about four cups of cooked pasta and add 1/2 cup of slivered almonds.
    Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and top with 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown about 30 minutes.

6. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I ain't done just eating the leftovers straight up...but that does sound good hickboy.

7. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Turkey Cavatelli and broccoli.
    Take turkey breast/meat, dice up, brown mince garlic in frying pan, add broccoli, then boil cavatelli in separate pan.**Note** Cavatelli must be frozen for best results

8. coolbus18

coolbus18 New Member

Albums:
    Good recipes! Thanks to all and enjoy!

9. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Fuck. Everything still tastes like turkey.

10. AquaEyes11010

AquaEyes11010 Active Member

Albums:
    Here's something fun -- find frozen mini pie shells and just put the leftovers inside, with some gravy. Anything you'd be comfortable mixing together on the same plate will work -- turkey, stuffing, potatoes, peas, whatever. Seal it up, freeze, and pop in the oven when you're in the mood for a Thanksgiving Pot Pie.

:)

11. TheKeystonePlowboy

TheKeystonePlowboy New Member

Is that good or bad?

Wait what were you expecting it to taste like?

12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    This sounds so delicious I'm going to go out and get a turkey to roast just so I can make it.

:tongue:

13. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

I grew up in Louisville....love me some Hot Brown :cool:

Turkey Wild Rice Hash:

De bone and chop turkey into bite sized cubes

Cook and crumble sausage. I prefer turkey sausage , but use whatever works for you. Let cool and break up well.

Saute 2 cups of chopped mushrooms and zucchini. I add pepper grounds, garlic & sage for some kick.

Cook 1 to 4 cups (depending on how many you are cooking for) of wild rice al dente

Fold in a can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup with the turkey, sausage and veggie mix into a backing dish. Pour one can of chicken broth on top of casserole. Bake at 350 for about an hour till the top is brown. Let cool and set for about 15 min before serving.

You can make this dish as small or large as you want. I made this for 1 people last night...served with a salad, bread and Pinot. They killed it...and it is eaaaaassssyyyyyy.

14. straightdave10

Gold Member

Albums:
    As an amateur brain surgeon I always seem to have bits left over.......its good to find a productive use for them, Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted