What are YOU doing to make the world a better place?

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I enjoy a lively political discussion, but when I read the threads on here I see a lot of people flinging mud at each other, posting arguments that fall on blind eyes and closed minds. Sometimes it starts with a valid point and just degenerates from there. Sometimes it starts with the first load of crap flying.

Whether you blame the current administration, the previous administration, the Republicans, the Democrats, Congress, your Auntie Flora, your mailman or whomever, regardless of your political allegiance or personal thoughts, just for a moment, I'd like to put that aside and focus on something positive.

So I ask, what exactly are YOU doing to create change? How are you making the world a better place? Do you volunteer? Do you give to charities? What is the example you are setting?

Thanks.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An excellent question and one that is difficult to answer right now, I need to give it some thought

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Please don't ask me any specifics because I'm very private about this. I am on the Board of Trustees of a foundation that grants money to certain organizations. I am on the Board of Directors of another organization that raises money for programs and individuals.
I do volunteer work once a week at a senior center. Lately I've been helping stimulate the local economy in Honolulu and NYC.

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Please don't ask me any specifics because I'm very private about this.

No need to mention specifics as to what organizations you may work with. I was hoping to see that there are more people out there DOING than talking. Thanks to all who answered.

FYI: I volunteer at a local Elementary school teaching kids to read. Last year I also organized a school supply drive to help local schools with high poverty rates, helped a low-income family secure their own home, visited people in nursing homes, made & sent Christmas cards to veterans and spent time walking dogs at the animal shelter. And more importantly, I voted.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So I ask, what exactly are YOU doing to create change?
Cant say i am terrribly effective at creating change as such..if anything i have 'opted out' of late (8 years or so) and keeping out of Societys way .. geuss i am a slack ass
How are you making the world a better place?
Spent all my life working with people, i feel i had taken on a resonable carrer re such and it benefitted quite a few Individuals.
as for making the world a better place as of now... see above.
Do you volunteer?
Not currently, spent much of a lifetime doing such
Tired and a little selfish perhaps..want to spend remaining years looking after myself...
not a bad thing really..
Do you give to charities?
again .. not so much these days..
What is the example you are setting?
bit of a slack ass one i think ..especially to my younger Nephews and Nieces etc...BUT , as they get to understand what i have done with my life, and as they get older and mature...i am sure they will accept and understand
THANKS for the Questions L Lynn
enz

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not as much as I should.

Starting point is my family and my community, and yes I'm active. I gave a lot of time (several months) to a project rebuilding an aspect of life in Iraq. Actually I'm now looking for another comparable project. I've sorted my will so that a worthy cause will be a big beneficiary.

I've done something. But no its not enough. And when we all hear and see the horrors in Haiti right now it is definitely not enough.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Today, I hugged a friend who just needed a hug. I let her cry on my shoulder for a while, and i listened to what she needed to say. I couldn't offer her any advice, and I don't think that's what she needed, anyway. She just needed a shoulder to cry on, and mine was there without anything more important to do.

It's such a small thing. But, I hope for her, it made a difference.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Today, I hugged a friend who just needed a hug. I let her cry on my shoulder for a while, and i listened to what she needed to say. I couldn't offer her any advice, and I don't think that's what she needed, anyway. She just needed a shoulder to cry on, and mine was there without anything more important to do.

Amen, brother.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Sometime the little things become much bigger and more important. Years ago my car was in the shop and a friend of mine gave me a lift and I asked "What can I do to thank you?" and she said..."Help the next person who needs it!" That has stuck with me for over 20 years.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not sure there's a way to discuss this in the spirit in was intended, as giving is such a private thing. But, I like the choice of topic. A lot.

Personal - I try to maintain a "sustainable" lifestyle. Very into locavoring and personal/container gardening. Use products with as little packaging as possible, public transport as much as possible, mindful of water and energy use, etc.

Everything I no longer use, from clothes to furniture, instead of storing I give away or donate, usually to places that hemp people rebuild post-shelters/homelessness.

Public - I volunteer at a food pantry, HIV awareness org., and, whenever needed, at my own favorite social cause/political orgs (which I will not name to prevent a political discussion). The past year I have only given actual money to a local free clinic, one niche charity, and now Haiti.

Generally, I'm politically active, and, if voting counts, I always do that as well.

Imo, the small things done to ease someone's pain make the most difference. :hug:

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I try to do the best job at work I can everyday. I extend my hand in friendship to anyone that needs support. I support local mom and pop food joints and take former students out when in town so they have a good meal. I see art in everything and try to enjoy it to the fullest

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, all very laudable. However, would you hide a fugitive from a totalitarian government, would you really go without food for a few days so some family could survive a disaster, tell an overbearing cop he is out of order, do quiet good deeds without telling others. Giving a few dollars to high profile charities, good but is it enough. It is never enough. Think about your "victims" (okay victims of the policies of your government) and I ask would you dare stand up and speak for them. I doubt it. Altruism frees the soul, charity is just throwing a sheet over the offending picture.

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes, all very laudable. However, would you hide a fugitive from a totalitarian government, would you really go without food for a few days so some family could survive a disaster, tell an overbearing cop he is out of order, do quiet good deeds without telling others. Giving a few dollars to high profile charities, good but is it enough. It is never enough. Think about your "victims" (okay victims of the policies of your government) and I ask would you dare stand up and speak for them. I doubt it. Altruism frees the soul, charity is just throwing a sheet over the offending picture.

Your topedo has missed the target. The point is to express what YOU, Sergeant Torpedo, are doing to make the world a better place? Not to throw your negative words around.

If you haven't anything positive to contribute, please refrain from adding at all.

Would I do the things above? Possibly; not to the point of endangering my child. I would not give all my food, but I would share what I have.

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
... when my band plays I donate all my earnings to one of a few charities I support.

Today, I hugged a friend who just needed a hug. I let her cry on my shoulder for a while, and i listened to what she needed to say.

... I asked "What can I do to thank you?" and she said..."Help the next person who needs it!" That has stuck with me for over 20 years.

I try to maintain a "sustainable" lifestyle.
Everything I no longer use, from clothes to furniture, instead of storing I give away or donate,...
I volunteer at a food pantry, HIV awareness org., and, whenever needed, at my own favorite social cause/political orgs
... and, if voting counts, I always do that as well.

I try to do the best job at work I can everyday. I extend my hand in friendship to anyone that needs support. I support local mom and pop food joints and take former students out when in town so they have a good meal. I see art in everything and try to enjoy it to the fullest

Thank you all! It's nice to see! Even a small step is a step. Any more?

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I made my first donation to Haiti today. Oddest thing though, I was shopping at my local Market and they had a notice at the card swipe machine that you could donate to the red cross for Haiti. There wasn't really any explanation on how, so I ask the attendant at the self check out how it was done and he took me to the main register to pay there where he claimed I could make my donation as well as pay for the groceries I had gotten. When he went to add the donation he could only do it a .01 or 1 cent at a time and I wanted to donate 20 dollars. He wound up having to input the .01 then increase the quanity by 500 which was the max and then do that 4 time so in reality I donated 2000 cents. But I got it in anyway. Next time I visit I'll donate a bit more.

Also I am a sales associate at a small store and I try my best to be polite and friendly to everyone, unless there drunk or about to cause a scene then I let the manager handle it.

Last edited: