What are YOU doing to make the world a better place?

D

deleted136887

I TRY to buy local produce, to keep the local people employed.
Very difficult, as most produce now comes from someplace else ,where they exploit their people.

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
People who are obsessed with politics don't want to make the world a better place. They want 2 things:
- to win
- to make the world match their beliefs.

Part of the point I'm trying to make with this thread. :smile:

Props to the OP for starting this topic. I'm not going to say a lot about what I do because I try to let my actions speak for what I do.

Thanks, Mr. Spacey! You don't need to say a lot but you could say a little more! :biggrin1:

I made my first donation to Haiti today....
Also I am a sales associate at a small store and I try my best to be polite and friendly to everyone....

Excellent! All those pennies add up! And friendliness can be contagious. An excellent way to be part of the solution. :cool:

I TRY to buy local produce, to keep the local people employed.

I try to buy what I can local as well, including eggs and dairy, but dang! I love Satsuma Mandarins and they just won't grow in my Oregon backyard! Hopefully all the other local products make up for that! :rolleyes:

Anyone else? I want more! Yes! Yes! More! Give it to me!! :tongue:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A fair proportion of my work is for deaf and blind people. It's probably not much in the great scheme of things, but it does make a difference for a lot of individuals.When it comes to donating to charity, I tend to avoid the large, high-profile organisations and give to the smaller ones instead.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Me and three other people in the neighborhood make sure that the dogs and cats living on the street get their shots from the local vet. He gives the shots for free and puts a tag on their ears. I give to Save the Children, as my grandmother did. We are working on a proposal to start a recycling business here that will included the Gypsy garbage pickers who traditionally do that work.

Yes I have sheltered political refugees. One from the USA and one from Chile. But that was a few years ago.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Vandalize humvees. Smash bank windows. Deface bank signs. Plot murder and destruction. Lie on the internet. Every little bit helps.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Vandalize humvees. Smash bank windows. Deface bank signs. Plot murder and destruction. Lie on the internet. Every little bit helps.

Somehow, I don't think this is what the OP had in mind.

DUH!

Anyway:

Today my co-workers and I devise a plot to purchase flowers for our boss. She's been under a lot of stress lately, and the upper levels of management haven't really given her her due recognition.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Tomorrow im going to try and collect donations for Haiti. i try to make people laugh, i listen. I want to do more, so i am thinking about volunteering at a homeless shelter at some point, atleast at Christmas.

Also, something everyone should do, at a counter, i always give my loose change to a collection tin. What am i going to do with 38p?

D

deleted136887

I can emphasize with that. Especialy the humvee bit...:biggrin1:

unique_exposure

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As cheezy as it may sound, allowing others the freedom to be who they are is on the top of the list.

Started and working with a non profit.
Keeping a pack of stray cats fed & vacc'd (and well
entertained).

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Kudos to those of you who choose to make a difference, no matter how insignificant it may seem. You never know when something as simple as a "Thank you" can have meaningful impact.

Vandalizing humvees and flatulance, hm? Oh, the temptation to engage in an annihilative riposte to such antagonistic and puerile remarks! I, however, shall restrain. Haters should be neither censured nor encouraged here.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
. . . Haters should be neither censured nor encouraged here.
Well put darlin, and thank you for such a positive thread. With all the vitriol in the air these days, I think we can all benefit from this. NewEnd, not the place. I think you should apologize to the lady.
I don't mean to be a ditto head, or maybe I do. I think you can hardly improve on forest and ghandi's message. Couldn't hurt to bring it onto the next page:

I try everyday to be a good man. As Mahatma Ghandi said: "be the change you want to see in the world".
I believe in the ripples in the pond philosophy, that what you do spreads outward to affect the world around you and beyond.

I have always been a nature boy; I am fiercely protective of the natural world and all the living things that inhabit it.

I try to treat everyone with kindness, courtesy and respect, to offer support where needed, and encourage others to seek their higher nature. I am far, far from perfect on this, and sometimes my efforts are clumsy. Admittedly, I do not tolerate injustice or destructive, greedy and meanspirited people well, or various other types of unmitigated fools. If anyone knows of a non-chemical way to treat this affliction, please advise.

Beyond that, I am intensely private about such things. It's inspiring to hear what others are doing, but I am personally not comfortable standing up in the public square to toot my horn among strangers. Just the way I was raised, what can I say. I will only say that I have also tried to effect positve change in the world by giving myself and my talents to various causes throughout my life and see no reason to stop now. Even saying that feels very uncomfortable.

Oh yes, and I have a bad habit of adopting little old ladies in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Great thread idea. I'm a fan of the OP! :smile:

First and foremost, I'm a good guy who treats people with decency, respect, and kindness. If that sounds paltry, I would argue that it's often sadly lacking in my experience. As a father, as a son, as a brother, as a customer, as a citizen, as a member of the brotherhood of man, I am a good guy who holds the door for you, makes charming dinner conversation, does whatever job needs doing (the dishes, deciphering codes, rubbing your back, negotiating treaties), has your best interest at heart, and your back in a crisis. This will always be scoffed at by some. But it is as valuable as any commodity in the universe.

In another vein, I offer my professional expertise (which is considerable) at an extremely fair price, and I quite often undercut even my own highly-under-market rate to accommodate those in desperate need.

I am not excellent at maximizing my own monetary profit. But I'm good at my chosen profession, I work hard to help my clients, and I strive for the win-win whenever possible.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If anyone wants to try this, I encourage them to. Stupid as it sounds I watched an episode of Oprah six or seven years ago where she interviewed some guy who had a little extra money, so he started a non-profit bank that makes loans to the poorest of the poor in a northern state somewhere in India. He used his own money to make small loans of approximately U$S50 to no more than U$S100, primarily to women, so they could purchase the basics to create their own start-up businesses. Sounded like a good idea to me, so I contacted Harpo Productions for more information. They put me in contact with others who have started similar programs.

I'm not the richest person in the world, but I can afford to lose $5,000 without feeling too bad. I'm also fortunate to have a husband who has a doctorate in Social Work and years of experience running Fundacion Por in Argentina. In 2005 we started our first loan outreach program in the poorest province in Argentina and it surprised us both at how easy and successful it was. The loans are paid back by folks filling out a savings account deposit form each month that includes their name and the number of the payment. The bank does the rest for free. We, however, personally make the loans using our own money and have the applicants sign legally binding loan agreements. With less than the equivalent of U$S100 housewives started home businesses from as varied as tailors to others who cooked up batches of remarkably good lemonciello (quite a kick and legal to brew in that country). We only had two people default on their small loans the first year and both of them defaulted because of bad luck (poor health and death). They were, we thought, excusable write-offs. We do not take any profit from the loans. All interest is plowed right back into the start-up programs.

This is our second year monitoring a similar program we started in the small pueblos around Oaxaca, Mexico. It's no less than fucking stunning to see the progress and success of someone who has nothing and no opportunity to produce anything suddenly able to make enough money to feed him/her self and his or her family by weaving because they can purchase a simple loom. Some of women in Oaxaca have used as little as U$S25 to start their own tllayuda stands (sort of like a taco, but even more humble) and selling fresh boiled ears of corn (elote) on street corners. The men who apply for small loans tend to paint traditional Miztec and Zapotec designs on scrolls of aged paper, or create painted wood carvings and surprisingly they actually turn coin selling their art to all the 'Mericuhn retirees who now flock to the City of Oaxaca for the winter. Several families have formed little co-opts where they all specialize in fired pottery, hand-made lace, and one woman has started a very successful cooking school for gringo tourists. One guy (who we're keeping a close eye on) started a pulqueria in front of his adobe abode. I wouldn't drink the stuff, but plenty of his neighbors and people passing by do.

We're definitely not the most wonderful people in the world, but it has been a lot more satisfying than just writing checks to the local food bank, senior center, animal shelter, and AIDS organizations -- all of which are on my "where to spread discretionary money around" list every year.

I thought about trying a similar small business loan program in my home state of Nevada, but I hate to say that except for the members of the local Shohone and Goshsute tribes, most of the folks feigning interest were just looking to get something for nothing. I'm all for charity, however, I'm more inclined to offer the kind of charity that was offered me when I was 16, kicked out of the house by my "christian" family, and had to live on the streets. Thanks to many people who broke the rules so that I could work (illegally, underage tending bar or non-union in the service industry) I was able to get a leg up in the world.

Of course, there are folks on LPSG who can't stand the idea that any of us posting about what we do to help others on this thread, but fuck them. I'm confident the naysayers lurking on this site are most likely the most pitiable.

And I agree a thousand percent, giving someone a sincere hug and being there to support them is one of the best things anyone can do.

Last edited:

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well put darlin, and thank you for such a positive thread. With all the vitriol in the air these days, I think we can all benefit from this.

Oh yes, and I have a bad habit of adopting little old ladies in the neighborhood.

Thank you Max! Loved reading everything you wrote. No need to get more specific than you are comfortable with. Have to say, this last line put me in mind of a reverse "Arsenic & Old Lace" which gave me a good laugh. Hugs!

Great thread idea. I'm a fan of the OP! :smile:

First and foremost, I'm a good guy who treats people with decency, respect, and kindness. If that sounds paltry, I would argue that it's often sadly lacking in my experience. As a father, as a son, as a brother, as a customer, as a citizen, as a member of the brotherhood of man, I am a good guy who holds the door for you, makes charming dinner conversation, does whatever job needs doing (the dishes, deciphering codes, rubbing your back, negotiating treaties), has your best interest at heart, and your back in a crisis. This will always be scoffed at by some. But it is as valuable as any commodity in the universe.

In another vein, I offer my professional expertise (which is considerable) at an extremely fair price, and I quite often undercut even my own highly-under-market rate to accommodate those in desperate need.

I am not excellent at maximizing my own monetary profit. But I'm good at my chosen profession, I work hard to help my clients, and I strive for the win-win whenever possible.

SilverTrain, I adore you! Can't you come to Oregon?? I'll let you load my dishwasher....

I know about the stray cat thingie, my house cat came from a tribe of feral cats. I would bet that it is more like they entertain you.

FYI- I'm a sucker for strays myself, and for kitties in particular. One of the biggest problems with feral populations is breeding. Those of you who make efforts towards the welfare of the four-legged, talk to your vet about catch & release spaying. Some veterinarians will perform a spay for free if you can catch a little minx, bring her in, take care of her while she heals, and then release her back in the wild. I've done this a couple times and it made a huge difference.

In 2005 we started our first loan outreach program in the poorest province in Argentina and it surprised us both at how easy and successful it was. The loans are paid back by folks filling out a savings account deposit form each month that includes their name and the number of the payment. The bank does the rest for free. We, however, personally make the loans using our own money and have the applicants sign legally binding loan agreements. With less than the equivalent of U$S100 housewives started home businesses from as varied as tailors to others who cooked up batches of remarkably good lemonciello (quite a kick and legal to brew in that country). We only had two people default on their small loans the first year and both of them defaulted because of bad luck (poor health and death). They were, we thought, excusable write-offs. We do not take any profit from the loans. All interest is plowed right back into the start-up programs.....

This is our second year monitoring a similar program we started in the small pueblos around Oaxaca, Mexico. It's no less than fucking stunning to see the progress and success of someone who has nothing and no opportunity to produce anything suddenly able to make enough money to feed him/her self and his or her family by weaving because they can purchase a simple loom.....

We're definitely not the most wonderful people in the world, but it has been a lot more satisfying than just writing checks to the local food bank, senior center, animal shelter, and AIDS organizations -- all of which are on my "where to spread discretionary money around" list every year....

And I agree a thousand percent, giving someone a sincere hug and being there to support them is one of the best things anyone can do.

Midlifebear- I had to abbreviate your post above for the sake of space. I have to say that what you are doing is phenomenal! It brought tears to my eyes to read this. A fantastic example of how a simple idea can have immense impact. Way to go!!

A thought for today: “If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

Thanks and keep them coming!

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Just to let anyone who is interested know, we raised £75 by the time i left the art building in uni for Haiti. We sat in the canteen and walked around the studios collecting it. It is not alot and isnt the most ardious of tasks but giving up my hour, it was really cool to see poor students donating on average around £3-5 a time.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Thank you Max! Loved reading everything you wrote. No need to get more specific than you are comfortable with. Have to say, this last line put me in mind of a reverse "Arsenic & Old Lace" which gave me a good laugh. Hugs!

Well, I do try to treat them a little better than that. I hope I may never have the misfortune of being so adopted. A big hug back at ya, babe!

A thought for today: “If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

As you know, I am a huge fan of your quotes and who you quote, and now this from Goethe? Thank you.
I may be falling in love.

Last edited: