What are you watching?

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
You've changed Fuzzy's mind about the chopper scene. And Fuzzy really likes your point about Nathan's arrogance being his undoing.

As for what Ava whispered to Kyoko, Fuzzy assumed it was something to do with the escape plan. If so, maybe she didn't even have to say anything at all. If Fuzzy were a shackled slave, and a fellow slave had a key, not many words would need to be said when it came to escaping. In fact, that scene may have been better if they didn't speak at all. It was an eerily quiet scene, including the knife slowly, peacefully slipping into the Creator's body. It's brilliant that the climax was so casual and quiet, even with Caleb's screams muted.

But again, so many unknown variables: What if there wasn't a spare arm? What if there were no knife? What if Nathan's wounds weren't fatal? What if Nathan didn't back into the knife (the androids were surprisingly weak)?

Although Yul Brenner seems irreplaceable, Fuzzy has wanted a remake of this movie for a long time. It seems to long predate the typical AI movies, but it does seem to fit into the AI genre -- even though it lacks the common Pinocchio theme of trying to be more human. It's definitely an underrated movie, but it comes from a time when sci-fi and fantasy weren't taken as being legitimate works of art. "Star Wars" may have made them popular but it took movies like "Blade Runner" to show the critics that these movies could have substance, and that '2001: A Space Odyssey" wasn't a one-off. The cheap immitations that followed Star Wars were mostly horrible, but "Battle Beyond the Stars" has a cheesy, nostalgic feel that Fuzzy loves, and "Silent Running" has a great moralistic message.

Nathan's inflated ego must have imploded as he took his final breaths coming to terms with the fact he'd been outsmarted by his own creation.

The other big plot hole, the "why didn't the Hobbits just fly to Mordor on the giant eagles?" moment is, why the need for this elaborate plan? Why does she even need Caleb's help to escape when she could have simply attacked Nathan when he entered her room and then taken his security card?

Beyond the holes I agree and believe it to be the best AI film ever made.

It was refreshing to see the gynoids were fragile and not in the usual mold of being these invincible Terminator-esque machines. Just think how delicate a computer is, how easy it is to break. It makes sense then that a AI would be just as fragile. That you could do just as much damage to it with the same amount of force as you could do to a human. Although Ava proves that with the available parts and knowledge she could repair herself in a more timely manner than that of a human. I suppose the real advantage is the AI wouldn't be hampered by pain.

Terminators always sort of annoyed me and were unrealistic. Especially given the timeline in the movie, which has past btw. Skynet may have become self aware but that doesn't mean the technology is indestructible. Seriously, you hit a computer with a steel pipe it's gonna have some issues afterwards.

For me the AI moment that changed the game and pulled me into the genre came in Alien. It's probably my favorite sci-fi. When Ash is revealed for what he truly is I was floored. I fucking love that film.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well, what I DON'T watch anymore is Master Chef. Stopped watching weeks ago. Seems to ME (meaning, IMO) the judges coach, coax, and coddle certain favorite contestants of theirs while slamming others on attitude and "rolling their eyes" at the opposition. gmafb.

Reactions: SprinkleMe69

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ghost in the shell 2
odd/funny/cool, very unusual ha

earlier

Remember Me
When Tom vanishes from his hospital bed, Hannah is determined to find him. After travelling to Tom's home, Hannah starts to piece together several clues, and a dark secret from Tom's past. Pt2 of 2

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

some civil war thing/nice music
the destruction of the indigenous/and the buffalo/bison

earlier

The Boy Who Smells Like Fish
Comedy:plagued by a bizarre condition, a young boy wrestles with social isolation. Until a mysterious woman offers a glimpse of hope. Starring: Douglas Smith, Zoe Kravitz.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
all day/nigh
sweet day for Englad
Roor Bairstow brilliant Yorkshiremen ..

ENG v AUS LIVE will be showing at: 07/08/2015 12:35 AM
After the English dominated the third test taking a 2-1 series lead, Australia will be desperate to bounce back and keep the Ashes series alive. Join us for LIVE coverage of the afternoon session on day 1 of the fourth Test at Trent Bridge.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
English weather/slightly overcast ..
but Eng lead by 300 odd

that Cricket: ENG v AUS LIVE will be showing at: 07/08/2015 9:58 PM

Join us LIVE for the morning session on day 2 of the 4th Test at Trent Bridge. In case you missed Aussie's 1st innings here it is

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
some obscure western in the background

but

watched
a sporting evening
England WIN the Ashes back convincingly
CONGRATULATIONS

ENG v AUS LIVE
SKY Sport presents LIVE coverage of England hosting Australia in the 2015 Ashes Series. Join us for the afternoon session on day 3 of the fourth Test at Trent Bridge.

Wallabies WINN over the All Blacks
first Bledislo 1/3 .. 27 / 19
GOOD ha'

Australia v All Blacks LIVE

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Villains.

Nothing like murder on a Saturday afternoon.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
currently

The Dark Knight
Action:Batman faces off against a criminal mastermind called The Joker, who thrusts Gotham City into anarchy. Starring: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger. 2008.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
enjoying the oldie currently

The Real Lion Queen
On the Liuwa Plains in Zambia, every animal, bird and insect has found its place in Africa’s vast Circle of Life. The circle would be complete if it wasn’t for one tiny flaw: The King is dead.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

I'm watching the next door neighbor's monkey fuck a football.