Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I use two gyms.

* English small town “leisure centre”. This is run by the local council. It has a “changing village“, so mixed sex and cubicles. The cubicles are cleanish, but the -ish is doing a lot of heavy lifting. Space is tight. They are not nice. There are separate male and female showers but notices in the male showers that men must not shower naked (presumably similar in female). In effect it is shower in your swim shorts. Its not good.

* Holborn Oasis. This is a central London gym and pool and well known for its heated outdoor pool. It has single sex locker-room (no cubicles) and open gang shower. Presumably this situation has been retained because it is central London location and space is limited. It works well. There aren’t the surfaces to touch so it seems cleaner. It is practical to get a proper shower.

I wish everywhere was like Holborn Oasis. In theory a man identifying as a woman could use the women’s changing room and shower, but I’ve not heard of this actually happening.

Reactions: effedi7

ArabicBottom

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It’s like a row of cubicles (spacious considering the average) covered in dark ceramic with acid glass doors. Each has a stationary overhead shower head and a hosed shower head. You can almost see the body of whoever is showering or at least make out their silhouette (I know that my tan lines are visible to others). On some days where there is barely anyone there I’ve gotten fucked or fooled around with guys in there.

D

deleted15577081

when you walk into the foyer you pay your money and the turnstile unlocks, you walk through and go through a double swing door into the locker rooms. There is a small area with benches for taking shoes off, also sinks and mirrors with hair dryers. At this point it's men & women. After leaving this area you walk into another foyer or lobby and there are 2 doors for men and women changing and 2 doors for men and women toilets. I walk through the mens changing room door, its fitted with door-closer, through a zig-zag affair and into the main locker room area. There are benches down left and right with pegs above and men in various states of nudity. Straight ahead an archway, beyond this is a wet room with shower heads left and right and a 'disabled' private shower cubicle with door wide enough for a wheelchair. When you have changed into gym gear you go back the way you came and find the back wall has a full length mirror on it and coin-op lockers to the left and right of the doorway.

Reactions: effedi7

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
when you walk into the foyer you pay your money and the turnstile unlocks, you walk through and go through a double swing door into the locker rooms. There is a small area with benches for taking shoes off, also sinks and mirrors with hair dryers. At this point it's men & women. After leaving this area you walk into another foyer or lobby and there are 2 doors for men and women changing and 2 doors for men and women toilets. I walk through the mens changing room door, its fitted with door-closer, through a zig-zag affair and into the main locker room area. There are benches down left and right with pegs above and men in various states of nudity. Straight ahead an archway, beyond this is a wet room with shower heads left and right and a 'disabled' private shower cubicle with door wide enough for a wheelchair. When you have changed into gym gear you go back the way you came and find the back wall has a full length mirror on it and coin-op lockers to the left and right of the doorway.

Wow, coin operated lockers? How much do you pay to use the gym?

And how much for the lockers?

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow, coin operated lockers? How much do you pay to use the gym?

And how much for the lockers?

most UK locker rooms have coin operated lockers, with the coin refunded. The purpose is to make sure that the key is returned. Most seem to be on £1. Older ones are on 20p or 50p. A very few are non-refundable, and this causes irritation among users. Holborn Oasis is infamous for its 20p non-refundable lockers. This is a tiny cost but people really do grumble.

D

deleted15577081

Our big gym is a one pound coin, this allows you to lock and remove the key which you keep with you. When you need your clothes back you insert the key and the coin drops back out. The smaller gym round the corner takes a 20p coin and it keeps it.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
most UK locker rooms have coin operated lockers, with the coin refunded. The purpose is to make sure that the key is returned. Most seem to be on £1. Older ones are on 20p or 50p. A very few are non-refundable, and this causes irritation among users. Holborn Oasis is infamous for its 20p non-refundable lockers. This is a tiny cost but people really do grumble.

Ah, I see. Like grocery store carts in Italy...

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes many UK supermarkets have a £1 release fee for a supermarket trolly, returned when the trolly is returned.

£1 is the workhorse coin. We do have £2 coin but it is twice the size and weight of £1 and therefore seems pointless. Anything less than £1 really does seem a very small sum.

JamesStar1

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I live in Birmingham, Alabama and I go to two gyms. One has stalled showers with doors, a sauna, and a steam room. They suggest that you use towels to cover yourself in the sauna, steam room, and locker room areas. Most people adhere to the rules. The other gym I go to is generally open. Open locker room, open showers, open whirlpool, open sauna, open steam room. People routinely move around the locker room completely nude and only use towels to sit down or to dry off. I've often been in the open showers with multiple guys showering. I kind of believe they show off and size each other up.
What gyms?

Reactions: 7.25x6

AHandfull

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Our showers are open, old school pool showers. I find that 50+ are pretty comfortable naked in front of others. Anyone under 50 just skips the showers.

The gym experience has evolved with everyone younger than me (55) wearing headphones, closing off the world to any conversation or interaction. I love shooting the shit with guys ten and twenty years older while showering....actual human interaction and saying hi! How's it going today? Hope you're surgery went well.

My buddies will not join the gym as they say that the open showers give them the creeps and it's too gay? I actually think it's the opposite. I think it's pretty manly to be standing there dripping wet with all your imperfections.....

In the shower last month, an 80 year old guy, looking bewildered, asked me why I shaved my balls. I told him that my wife told me ten tears ago that she liked it that way....need I say more? The other two guys in the shower almost fell over laughing and fist bumped me. Dude we get it.

The one thing I have picked up from the younger generations is a better underwear wardrobe. You ain't dead yet, you might as well have a party in your pants everyday and look good. There are quite a few older men who are wearing the same gray bvds with holes in them..... they have clearly given up which is sad.

WadWorshipper

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Sadly, individual stalls with a curtain to pull across for privacy. I would love to experience a communal shower sometime. I'm perfectly comfortable naked, but the more time passes, the more facilities seem to cater to the terminally modest. Another buyout of my gym chain means that I don't have to drive 20 min to get to a good one with pool and hot tub, so we will see what the one just down the road has for shower. Crossing fingers!