what are your top three dealbreakers?

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
1. Simply being an asshat. Everyone should know what i'm talking about. Rude to the wait staff, complains about ex's, boorish behaviour, asks no questions about you or your interests...

2. Bragging about disposable income. My experience is that most people who are wealthy (not nouveau riche) don't feel the need to flaunt their money. It's usually guys who've reached the six figures that pull this crap. Throw the benjamins around all you like but I cannot be bought. This ass is not for sale or rent.

3. Lying. About anything.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I forgot a number four: He opens his mouth and talks about how "straight acting" he is. I don't date homophobes.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
01. I can't tolerate guys who are ultra-serious. You gotta have some goof-ball qualities. So, it's always a turn off if you just meet someone and they're already quite severe. Unless, of course, he's super hot and assures me he's packing.

02. If someone mentions anything about religion or spirituality during your first conversation. It's the sure fire way to get nowhere fast, real quick. Not only is it an invitation to an aimless debate, but I typically (from experience) see it as a red flag. Can I get a witness!
True, there is no reason to mention religion on a first date or even a 2nd.

03. If they comment that you remind them of someone. I wanna be your original.

1. Simply being an asshat. Everyone should know what i'm talking about. Rude to the wait staff, complains about ex's, boorish behaviour, asks no questions about you or your interests...

2. Bragging about disposable income. My experience is that most people who are wealthy (not nouveau riche) don't feel the need to flaunt their money. It's usually guys who've reached the six figures that pull this crap. Throw the benjamins around all you like but I cannot be bought. This ass is not for sale or rent.

3. Lying. About anything.

1. smokers
2. right-wing republicans
3. possessive control freaks

QFT!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just to reiterate, my 'dealbreakers' were only those which could be discerned upon first impressions and early dates.
Would you be put off if the woman was instantly smitten with you and complimented your looks a lot? :confused:

I ask because I saw a reality dating show where the man was very complimentary to the woman and kept telling her how beautiful she was on the first date. The woman was put off and a bit freaked out by this as she later told the matchmaker. I was just wondering if men would feel the same way.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Androgyny is pretty noticable, right?
Back to the point of the original question; you SEE, note something that
appears just picture-perfect, and then _______ , Help Me God :smile:
If you don't see the perfectly arched eyebrows, glossy lips, manners etc that ARE there, WHAT do you initially see:)

Not if you heard/ corresponded with the person before actually seeing them...which has happened to me.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Would you be put off if the woman was instantly smitten with you and complimented your looks a lot? :confused:

I ask because I saw a reality dating show where the man was very complimentary to the woman and kept telling her how beautiful she was on the first date. The woman was put off and a bit freaked out by this as she later told the matchmaker. I was just wondering if men would feel the same way.

I can't speak for N/S, but for me

the woman was instantly smitten with you and complimented your looks a lot
is very flattering, sexy, and arousing if I'm attracted to her. If I'm not, it's creepy, stalkerish, and carries the scent of desperation/neediness.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think people are confusing "deal breaker" and "red flags" or other strong dislikes. To me a deal breaker would mean she couldn't offset that one thing even if she was totally hot, intelligent, nice and everything else. That one thing would kill it.

There are a lot of things that would almost definitely kill it for me unless she showed she was great in other ways almost immediately. For example, very religious, previous drug user or violent criminal history. But even those I could imagine could be offset if she was great in other ways. It's just in practice they would almost be deal breakers because they probably wouldn't be offset by other qualities.

jorpollew

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My first impression deal breakers are:

behavior:
bad speech & conversation
bad manners/poor etiquette
unsophisticated
smoking or any drug use

appearance:
trendy clothing/hairstyles/jewelry
ugly hands/dirty fingernails
a too skinny or wimpy build

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
1) Body of Tarzan, voice of Jane
2) Body of Jane, voice of Tarzan
3) smokers/drug use/heavy drinking
4) rude and disrespectful to servers, bartenders
5) favorite topic of conversation is themselves and how they have been victimized by the Universe
6) picking out china patterns on the first date
7) being an overall vortex of neediness

bruce-e

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
1) Bad hygene 2) self absorbed 3) Lack of self confidence Can't get around those.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media

To an extent, yes.

I personally have a great deal of difficulty graciously accepting compliments, but someone who plied me with them more than I deemed necessary would make me feel uneasy.
It would give me the impression that they're complimenting me for the sake of it, rather than genuinely liking something I possess/say/do.