What Beautiful Bridges have you been on?

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The Bridge of Flowers in Shelburn Falls, Mass. is a memorial to soldiers lost in WWII.

Thanks for posting this, I don't think I would have ever seen it otherwise. Very beautiful.

Now I found the Paris bridge I most often walked, the Pont Louis-Philippe, that goes from the Rive Droite to the Ile St.-Louis.

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No, it's red paint. It is painted regularly to prevent rust.

I forget what the point they were making, but it had something to do with the uniqueness of it's surrounding.

and I found this online
"Many misconceptions exist about how often the Bridge is painted. Some say once every seven years, others say from end-to-end each year. Actually, the Bridge was painted when it was originally built. Until 1965, only touch up was required. In 1965, advancing corrosion sparked a program to remove the original lead-based paint (which was 68% red lead paste in a linseed oil carrier). The removal continued to 1995. In 1965, the original paint was replaced with an inorganic zinc silicate primer and acrylic emulsion topcoat. In the 1980s, this paint system was replaced by a water-borne inorganic zinc primer and an acrylic topcoat. The Bridge will continue to require routine touch up painting on an on-going basis."

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Probably one of the most interesting bridges I've been on...and shopped on :smile:...is the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, Italy. When ever I'm lucky enough to play a gig in, or pass through Florence I love seeing that bridge again. It's quite extraordinary and has a fascinating history. Look it up for yourself

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Home is Home

sydney-harbour-bridge-night.jpg

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
0918_BriscolBrApprchCrpd.gif

The Driscoll Bridge (over the Raritan river) on the Garden State Parkway is the World's widest highway bridge at 15 lanes. (plus 6 shoulder lanes)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Am I the only one with an irrational terror of being on a bridge?

They scare the shit out of me.

This bridge scares me because it is so narrow, it connect NJ to Staten Island, NY. (Goethals's Bridge) And 18 wheel big rigs ride on it too. Normally I don't mind driving over bridges at all.

1242602422_2d3a30e3cc_b.jpg

Am I the only one with an irrational terror of being on a bridge?

They scare the shit out of me.

Gephyrophobia is treatable, and no you're not alone. Over 4000 people in the US start crossing and find they can't finish, requiring police officers to drive their cars over. It's actually one of the most common phobias. Reactions range from nervousness to absolute terror.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Here are some of my favorite bridges that I've crossed.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel System (Norfolk, VA)
Deleware Memorial Bridge (Dover, DE)
Walt Whitman Bridge (Philadelphia, PA)
Ben Frankling Bridge (Philadelphia, PA)
Verrazano - Narrows Bridge (NYC, NY)
Lake Pontchartrain Bridge (Louisana)
Glen Canyon Dam Bridge (Page, AZ)
Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Gig Harbor, WA)
Columbia River Bridge (Portland, OR)
Oakland Bay Bridge (Oakland, CA)
Golden Gate Bridge (San Francisco, CA)
Terminal Island Bridge (Long Beach, CA)
Coronado Bridge (San Diego, CA)

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Beautiful isn't it.. I live in Cambridgeshire, and the pleasure I get from walking around the city is immeasurable.

Although, dodging the students on their bikes is a pain in the bum! lol

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
How could I forget Tarr Steps? This is a prehistoric bridge in Somerset which is estimated as 3000 years old. I've been there many a time and it is absolutely a fantastic slice of history. (The river is freezing :rolleyes:)

somerset15.jpg

Last edited:

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Grandfather's Mountain Mile High Swinging Bridge, Grandfather's Mt. , NC

sorry for two post unsure of how to do two pic.s in one. :dunno:

Attachments

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I agree about the Golden Gate. It's size, design, colour, and setting are stunning.

The Lions Gate in Vancouver is a small suspension bridge with a spectacular setting. I never get tired of the views of English Bay, the North Shore mountains, Burrard Inlet, Stanley Park and downtown Vancouver. I've driven over it for years and always enjoy it.

In Istanbul, the Galata bridge crosses the Golden Horn. It's not very beautiful, but it's setting is, connecting the Galata district with it's Tower to Sultanahmet, which is the oldest, most historical part of the city. Under the bridge, at water level there are shops and restaurants. It's pretty cool.

The the bridges which cross the Bosporus are beautiful. The views are great, but you really have to watch the cross winds that funnel down the straight. On the Asian side of the bridge there is a sign reading: "Welcome To Asia" :smile:

The Fatih Sultan Mehmet and the Bosporus bridges.

dsc_9405.jpg

D

deleted3782

Oh cool thread!

These are bridges I have actually been on. Admirer of many many others!

Rio-Antirio Bridge Greece
623981238_be67462776.jpg

Sydney Harbor Bridge, Australia
sydney.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge, New York
brooklyn-bridge-1a.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
golden-gate-bridge-picture-2.jpg

Charles Bridge, Praha
457421252_18c3af33c6.jpg

Ponte Vecchio, Firenze
COFirenzePonteVecchioRifles.jpg

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
GoldenGateBridge.jpg

Here is many people's favorite, The Golden Gate Bridge. I saw a documentary recently on this and if I recall correctly the color is due to rust.

As mentioned, not due to rust. The color is actually called International Orange. The Bridge is less than 2 miles long, and as soon as they finish painting from end to other, they start again on the other side... or so the myth goes.