Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NORTHANGER ABBEY was supposed to be a spoof of the Bronte sister's books.

Keep that in mind.
Northanger Abbey was published in 1803. The Brontë sisters were all born more than ten years after that date. The novels to which Northanger Abbey refers are Gothic romances such as The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe. It is not a spoof of such novels but a satire on their readers.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am reading two books right now.

"Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris
"Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters" by Peter Vronsky.

I love David Sedaris. The account of his FSL class in that book... oh lordy, I had to put it down several times because I was crying from laughing. Particularly when he tries to explain the Easter Bunny to a bunch of foreigners in French. "And the rabbit, he hops and he hops."

I just finished "World War Z: an Oral History of the Zombie War" by Max Brooks (Mel's son). If anyone read his "Zombie Survival Guide" it's a great piece of parody. Thoroughly tongue in cheek but written in an almost uptight deadpan. World War Z is more satirical and I think funnier.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Just finished the User Manual for my new chainsaw. I wouldn't recommend it unless you buy a chainsaw.
:biggrin1: LOL. I know what you mean. I spent several hours this weekend deciphering the Turkish user's manual for a Miele washing machine. It comes in german, russian, chech, polish, french, maygar, portuguese, arabic, a couple others, but not english!?

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Zen and the peaceful art of flower arrangement.

Fuck I hate this book!
It's supose to be calming!
I'll read another paragraph and if it doesn't pick up I'm tearing it to shreds.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Very few of us are into Procrustean bopperbasting, Drifter.
Your 'dates' are all detritus of the throw-away culture.
So sad.

Not so dear Rubi. My dates are of the Medjool variety and most satisfying. I can peel their fine skins with my tongue :wink:

What were you trying to do, audition for THE SOPRANOS? You a little late.
Now, now Mr. Crabs, why are your eyes glistening?

Believe me - I am not Mr. DIY. It's the first instructions that I have read for many years because I believe I will probably take my own head off.

I do have an urge to reacquaint myself with Mr. Gabriel Oak.

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
LOL, so you have a special DIY project you trying to undertake? What are you attempting to build?
Good luck!

Not so dear Rubi. My dates are of the Medjool variety and most satisfying. I can peel their fine skins with my tongue :wink:

Believe me - I am not Mr. DIY. It's the first instructions that I have read for many years because I believe I will probably take my own head off.

I do have an urge to reacquaint myself with Mr. Gabriel Oak.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I love the way this book is written - it flows beautifully, in my opinion :smile:

i thought Atonement was sooooo overrated and pretentious. it barely had a plot and moved so slowly! the only saving grace was the extremely creative and surprising ending which ties into the title of the book.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Fuck I hate this book!

funny you mention that. i read about half that book before i realized that zen is something one should interperet for one's self and not in a book. you must free yourself of ALL worldly thinking before you can truly undrstand zen. but if you really want to read about zen you should read a book called "zen and the art of motorcycly maintenance" .

i just finished reading "one flew over the cuckoo's nest". the movie was better, jus cuz of jack nicholson.

im reading the "book of virtues" off and on. shit is like a million pages. im about to start a old clive barker book called "the inhiman condition". also reading a book called "paris:past and present" but its pretty boring and i also just finished a book called "the african americans". did yall know that json kidd is classified as a black man?

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Fuck I hate this book!

Well fuck it!
The plot didn't pick up, so I tore the bastard to shreds and used it as a fire lighter!
Peacefully arrange that yeh bastard!

Oh look!
I'm feeling calmer already!

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
i thought Atonement was sooooo overrated and pretentious. it barely had a plot and moved so slowly! the only saving grace was the extremely creative and surprising ending which ties into the title of the book.

I thought is was quite a relaxed story. I guess it was a bit slow though...

I still liked it :smile:

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cinnamon,
if you enjoy reading books that teach you and make you reflect on yourself as much as I do I highly, highly suggest Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It's a classic that MOST people avoid because of it's length but they are down right idiots.

The book has made me laugh, cry, and overall have me take a long and hard look at my life (I'm only on page 500).

I give the book a ten thus far. Far too hard to sum up in a few words.

I love to read as much as I love to write. What book are you currently reading? Can you give a brief synopsis?

If you just finished a book, would you grade it on a scale of 1-10 (1 being bad book-10 being great book, could read again) and tell us if you recommend it?

I am reading a series of books by Jean Plaidy covering the Tudor dynasty, and also watching the Showtime series called "The Tudors". I love history so this has been a most rewarding journey.

The book:

The Queens of England SeriesThe Queen's Secret (Katherine of Valois) 1989

Synopsis: The secret marriage between queen Katerine of Valois and Owen Tudor. This is for those who like historical novels. There is some romance, but not the Harlequin type. But it is most fascinating to know their bloodline ruled England until Queen Elizabeth.

Books score: 10
Recommend: Highly