What brand of car battery to get?

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Usually i have bought interstate...but since they were big contributors to the Mormon lead hate bill (prop 8) in California I would rather not support them.

thanks!
Arghhhh... I did not know that when I bought an Interstate battery in July. Last one for me!

Sears Diehards have always worked for me. I don't know who makes them, but they hold up well.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
In as much as most any battery you buy is apparently made by the same company, and grievances against a particular retailer notwithstanding, price might be a consideration in choosing where to buy, as well as ease of exchange should the battery not live up to its warranty (which is why it's always important to hold on to your receipt and proof of purchase).

That given, I usually get the Everlast (Walmart's version of the Johnson product, as cited above).

kenny233

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have heard the same thing, that batteries come from the same manufacturer and a re re-branded. I think that sometimes you get one that lasts longer than another just by chance. I have bought expensive batteries for my boat, and been disappointed. I usually stick to economical batteries now.

Diehard, and the brand from O'Reilly Auto (I think it is Super Start - get the better one ofered) are the brands I have had good luck with. I had the AC Delco maintenance free batteries before, and they weren't worth a damn for me...

D_Felix the Bat

Experimental Member
Media
I tend to keep my vehicles a while, plus live where it gets cold, so I usually get the most powerful battery that fits, and just replace it whenever the warranty period is up, like 7-8yrs, as part of maintenance. Never been stranded with a dead battery yet (knocking on wood!)

The old A/C Delco batteries were loved by the classic/collector car people because they were a low gassing design, which kept the area under the hood clean and corrosion free. That is why I bought them in the past, now, it's what I can get the best price on.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
In as much as most any battery you buy is apparently made by the same company, and grievances against a particular retailer notwithstanding, price might be a consideration in choosing where to buy, as well as ease of exchange should the battery not live up to its warranty (which is why it's always important to hold on to your receipt and proof of purchase).

That given, I usually get the Everlast (Walmart's version of the Johnson product, as cited above).

Hmmm... seems I misquoted the name of my battery...it's been awhile. It's really something called Everstart (Maxx).

And yes, I agree with another here, they're all just about what and what once you get above a certain price. I think one of the worst batteries I ever got came from an auto parts place. And you don't want some joker dickering with ya over the warranty if it has problems. Some places want to put it on a meter and run tests on it to see if it's the battery while YOU wait.

I'd prefer a place that'd just as soon swap it out with less hassle.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Die Hard's are alright.
EverStart are pretty good too
Durolast Gold - Autozone's brand are OK too, but Ive noticed a bit of light flickering with mine, but not enough to worry.

Just bought an AC Delco for the Pontiac....very disappointed with it. If I don't keep the trickle charger on it, it dies. It cost me $130. Last time I'm buying one of those.

tamati

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
went to pepboys and spent $112 w/tax on a

700cca - BOSCH PREMIUM PLUS
3-year free replacement
96-month pro-rata warranty
3-year free emergency jumpstart (registration required)
Long life technology minimizes water loss and protects against corrosion
Optimized internal construction for superior durability

pepboys is between my work and the off ramp i take to get there, so i figure what the heck roll the dice.

and the gal who helped me was real cute with nice tits and tats. she remembered me when i brought back the core. 'kinda hope it fails and i have to take it back....

anyway thanks for all the help, even though I ignored it. :p