What Can $611 Billion Buy?

D

deleted15807

Now that most Americans have come around to the fact the Iraq War was a waste of money we can now think about what we could have done.

The Boston Globe has some ideas:

What can $611 billion buy? - Boston.com

My favorite:

A real war on poverty

According to World Bank estimates, $54 billion a year would eliminate starvation and malnutrition globally by 2015, while $30 billion would provide a year of primary education for every child on earth.

At the upper range of those estimates, the $611 billion cost of the war could have fed and educated the world's poor for seven years.

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
for 611 billion I would let Osama Bin Laden ass fuck me repeatdly....with every dick in Yemen.....

oralhijinks

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm sorry but that's really dumb thinking by the Boston Globe. They are making an argument based on facts that did not occur which is a logical fallacy. The truth is we never had the money to spend in the first place. What kept Congress from passing a war spending bill was that Congress was all gung ho about getting out of Iraq but decided instead of just using the spending bill to get out, they would throw in a bunch of pork barrel spending to continue using the money that would no longer be going toward the war...once again, money Americans didn't have to spend in the first place.

You may or may not like the President but never, ever think your congress person is clean. The entire government is corrupt. Not one of them is doing anything but trying to achieve personal gain from their positioning and jockeying about the war. Trust me none of them are doing it for the people.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Now that most Americans have come around to the fact the Iraq War was a waste of money we can now think about what we could have done.

The Boston Globe has some ideas:

What can $611 billion buy? - Boston.com

My favorite:

A real war on poverty

According to World Bank estimates, $54 billion a year would eliminate starvation and malnutrition globally by 2015, while $30 billion would provide a year of primary education for every child on earth.

At the upper range of those estimates, the $611 billion cost of the war could have fed and educated the world's poor for seven years.
My ideas are Health Insurance for the uninsured. The trial of president Bush for war crimes. and the love of Leslie Mann Judd Apatow's wife. I love her she's perfect.

D

deleted15807

I'm sorry but that's really dumb thinking by the Boston Globe. They are making an argument based on facts that did not occur which is a logical fallacy. The truth is we never had the money to spend in the first place. What kept Congress from passing a war spending bill was that Congress was all gung ho about getting out of Iraq but decided instead of just using the spending bill to get out, they would throw in a bunch of pork barrel spending to continue using the money that would no longer be going toward the war...once again, money Americans didn't have to spend in the first place.

You may or may not like the President but never, ever think your congress person is clean. The entire government is corrupt. Not one of them is doing anything but trying to achieve personal gain from their positioning and jockeying about the war. Trust me none of them are doing it for the people.

I hardly think it's dumb thinking. Governments routinely engage in deficit spending. It can be a good thing if done at the right time for the right reasons. Just like when consumers use credit for say a home mortgage.
Yes Congress abdicated their duty for not asking the hard questions anyway.

Equus14

Experimental Member
Media

You are 100% correct about that. None of them should be trusted.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Amen to that!!!

D

deleted15807

The concept of getting into public service to actually serve the public pretty much vanished long time ago. It's a job and like jobs people are in it for other reasons than to serve the boss. You put in for mama she'll put out for you. And that's how it is. The trick is to have both(helping yourself and helping your country) while not making a mockery of the Constitution.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm pretty sure they could've developed electric cars that were worth driving that didn't cost a lot of money. Or they could've bought everyone a Tesla Roadster (now that's an electric car!).

Well, that and enough alternative energy sources to run said cars that there wouldn't be any reason for protecting the "energy interests" in the Middle east.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NPR carried a BBC report that the total cost was one and a half trillion, that is twelve thousand for each person in the US.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But I also agree that the money wasn't there to spend in the first place. Enjoy the slash in your buying power as a US citizen brought on by a massively flagging US dollar as you try and write off that debt.

joejack

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Instead of bitching, why not vote all the pro-war motherfuckers out of office. You get a chance every 2 years. All appropriations bills must originate in the House of Representatives. When no money is appropriated the war will stop. Hasn't the total for the undeclared war on Iraq passed the $7 trillion dollar mark?