Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, reading the first part, I think I understand a little better what you're looking for. It's not a very exciting answer, but, really, your best start probably is to check out all the different websites. There are lots of places on the internet where guys chat and flirt or whatever, and that's a good introduction to someone before meeting up and hanging out, even if it's only one-on-one. Not to pimp Manhunt again, but, as one example, they have all kinds of chatrooms with webcams where guys hang out and chat and flirt and whatnot. I've met guys on there myself who I consider friends, and certain rooms have groups of guys who met there and now hang out together all the time.

As for taking a day trip to Boston or NYC, well, why not? A 2-hour or so drive in and back, even if you don't meet anyone, at least you get a nice day in a different place. I can't speak for NYC, since I'm only down there a few times a year, but in Boston, you might be surprised. There are so many little boutique shops and small coffee shops and parks, and people can be friendlier than you'd think. (Seriously, in Boston's South End, every homo has a dog, so it couldn't be easier to go stroll around a park and pick a cute guy and start playing with his dog. Instant ice-breaker.) Any of the shop owners are happy to chat with customers, and in the South End, most of them are gay. There are even a couple of sex shops you could wander into, which could lead to fun conversation. Ultimately, I guess that really doesn't lead to too much, since anyone you possibly meet there, you're 100+ miles away from. But, eh, maybe it could help as flirting practice.... :smile:

Oh, and keep in mind, too - 15 or 20 miles to a club or a group or whatever, that's really probably only 1/2 hour drive. That's not too bad. (Although you're right - the club scene can be tricky for flirting and chatting, depending on the club.)
It does sound fun. I wouldn't be able to take any leisure drives to New York, but I should be able to manage it with Boston. I'm not sure if I'm better off driving there, or taking a bus. I'll have to think about it. Driving there gives me the chance to decide whether or not at the last minute I actually want to spend the day up in Boston (with regards to weather and such, I mean I wouldn't want to be stuck going there if it's going to rain) - but it won't be as convenient as taking a bus there because I wouldn't have to worry about parking or anything like that.

I don't know, it's something for me to think about. Breaking the ice by playing with a cute guy's dog really got me interested. :redface: I'm such a sucker, lol.

Oh, and yes I am about 30 minutes or so away from Hartford, but my issue isn't the amount of time that it takes me to get there - it's the distance and the amount of gas I'll be using, lol. I guess I'm cheap, but there's really nothing cheap about a car that uses premium gas and still manages a mileage at ~20 mpg. It also used up literally all of my savings about two months ago when the alternator needed to be replaced, so you can imagine how I'm trying to stretch the dollar as much as I can - and how unwilling I am to spend a nickle on just about anything... At least until my paychecks from work start adding up (and it has, but not enough for me!) It sucks being a broke college student, but that's life!

exactly, it probably wouldn't be too hard to organize with the use of facebook, twitter, and other social media (even lpsg)

hire a DJ, a party promoter get a spot to have it and people who will go and BOOM you gotta massive party on your hands lol

if i were the one doing it, i'd make it like an annual thing... who knows, in a couple years it could be "the" big gay party to go to that everyone looks forward to... all big events started our fairly small

business major FTW
lol, well it really does sound like a very neat idea - but I just don't think I would be able to do one any time soon (refer to my part about being a "broke college student" above ^^). Well... By the time I should be able to do it, I plan on being away from here and hopefully out of CT as a whole.

It seems to me that maybe one of your better bets would be to take a proactive role in your campus LGBT center. My guess is that they would be glad for you to organize activities that are to your liking. There are a lot of colleges in the region, maybe the various colleges' LGBT groups could do some shared activities.
I have actually visited the center today to talk to a faculty member in the office and he told me about a bunch of things that are available to me during the normal academic year. They have weekly meetings for young gay men who may have some personal struggles, whatever it may be - whether it's related to relationships or families or coming out. There are also a few other groups that appealed to me, some of which are not strictly limited to the LGBTQ community - there are some that attract a wide variety of members in and out of there. And, what's best for me, is that they have weekly coffee shops, which the faculty member is a great way to socialize and meet with people.

And there's always an option of just hanging out in the office and maybe running into someone who is also hanging out there. He said that it can get quite busy and noisy and he's known some people who became friends that way.

So, I'm glad I went in and it'll definitely be my "hang out spot" of choice for the next semester. :)

Oh, and they're also participating in a pride march in NYC on June 24: Gay Pride Events | NYC Pride | Heritage of Pride

He said they're looking for a couple more volunteers and I happen to plan on being around there on that same weekend, so I'll have to see what I can do about that!

NYBTM99

Just Browsing
Media
One other option is to try to find the bar near you where the gay and lesbian people congregate. There is always a straight bar that is bent (artists, gays and lesbians, relaxed, laid back people). The clientele likely would range in age, but you can get to know like minded people near you and they can give you tips on where a young gay man should go in the area. In most places there is a local underground.

travis7

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Facebook group, Grinder, adam4adam, mister,
A lot of guys meet n Phx , on tues at a rest.. Just to chat n stuff. Another group go local guys south of Houston meet at a rest just to hang out n chat, plan games, trips etc,,

Blackle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Peep... If you live that far away from the closest gay bar there have to be others or people you can meet to go hang out with at home(providing a place for you to crash when you get to fucked up) or invite over for what have you. Just make friends and it'll be fine.

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Peep... If you live that far away from the closest gay bar there have to be others or people you can meet to go hang out with at home(providing a place for you to crash when you get to fucked up) or invite over for what have you. Just make friends and it'll be fine.
Well... I guess this is part of what I want to do. :p

Keep in mind that I'm not even 20 years old, yet, so I won't be allowed in any bars in America - forget any gay bars.

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
America is crazy, no bar entry at the age of 20! Come to Australia, access to everything you want at age 18.
I know! I could even go to Canada. It's pretty crazy, but eh, what can you do?

Also, I checked out a couple online sites and android apps but didn't like them. I'm on Scruff right now and enjoying that. The atmosphere there is actually quite friendly!

Eventually I'll find ways to make friends in person. I'll have a better chance during the school year, I think. But now I've been chatting with guys locally and all around the world. Pretty cool!

I love to "woof" people on Scruff - it's what I think to myself when I see a hot guy, anyway. It's cute and it suits me. :)