What causes homosexuality?

winesthel945

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There's a reason why that venue looks like a church. Nicolosi is a prominent proponent of the discredited and abusive "reparative therapy" school of bullshittery and Christian psuedoscientific babble.

Reparative and conversion therapy for minors have been banned in some states because they are considered a form of child abuse. It's founded in psychological "theories" that the American Psychological Association has deemed bogus and harmful. It's fundamentally based on certain sects of Christianity (radical fundamentalist hate group sects in some cases) misreading and malinterpretation of certain biblical texts to denigrate people for being gay, and then when they feel bad, telling them that it's the gayness making them feel bad, not the denigration. Akin to an arsonist setting fire to your house and then telling you you're terrible for having a house on fire.

Some truths about reparative therapy:
http://www.nclrights.org/bornperfect-the-facts-about-conversion-therapy/
http://prospect.org/article/my-so-called-ex-gay-life
http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2015/11/02/firsthand-account-torture-conversion-therapy

Now, if you're really interested in the biological basis of homosexuality, and you'd like some facts rather than the biblical-based pseudoscientific blathering of bigots, the essential work on the subject is:

Gay, Straight and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation by Prof. Simon LeVay
https://www.amazon.com/Gay-Straight-Reason-Why-Orientation/dp/0190297379

Exbiker

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
LOL.

Calling that nonsense a "theory" is like calling a tent a building, or a pair of roller skates a luxury sedan.

Homosexuality occurs in at least 70 non human animal species.

So it's obvious that (a) it's genetic and (b) it must have some survival benefit - to some individuals across a family / community group even if not to the fully homosexual individuals themselves ...

We don't know how it is caused. Because we don't fully understand the generation of sexuality in general, including the more usual heterosexual kinds. Something to do with brains and endocrine systems, but we don't really understand much of it ...

It is possible that there are underlying kinds of biological sexuality ... which are then restricted by social conformity. Maybe many more people could be bisexual. But we choose social roles; I'm fairly sure that's what happened in my own case. 'Choice' is a strong word, but I did successfully have penetrative sex with women when I was young, before settling as a gay man. Because it's easier not to have to fight it, and not to have to explain and warn.

It is about time that humanity grew up. Learned to respect and tolerate each other. Even to celebrate and admire diffferences. We are all facing the world together; we all face similar problems and threats. We are in danger from extreme ideologies and mismanagement of money, technology and power. So let's learn how to be happy, calm and safe with each other. Please.

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Post comments on this theory of homosexual origins. It mostly discusses male homosexuality.
If you bothered to listen to this guy, you should have been struck by some of the outlandish and unproven/unprovable statements he makes in the vdeo:
1.) "Homosexual behavior is always prompted by an inner sense of emptiness."
2.) "There is no such thing as a homosexual."
3.) "Science supports biblical teachings on homosexuality."
4.) "Homosexuality is not about sex, it's about self-identity."
These are all categorical A-1 statements that he can't prove and would not meet with any kind of professional consensus. At this point I stopped watching the video.

tasty9

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is no point in responding to the particulars of Nicolosi's arguments. They are nothing more than discredited bunk. Whether it's genetics or upbringing, destiny or choice, being gay is natural, and gay people don't need fixing. Every issue gay people have with being gay is actually an issue with how gay people are treated by society. Stop treating gay people like there's something wrong with us and we'll all be fine.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The world would be a better place if he devoted his life to finding a treatment for hatred and bigotry.

I think he'd be better off finding a decent hair cut - he needs to sort himself out first and foremost. There is always something very weird about "straight men" who can't stop talking about gay men. Plus they are full of shit.

Reactions: OKCLane

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think he'd be better off finding a decent hair cut - he needs to sort himself out first and foremost. There is always something very weird about "straight men" who can't stop talking about gay men. Plus they are full of shit.

Hey, Hypolimnas! I have alwys liked that you have a Tacitus quote in your signature--here's the full sentence in Latin, with my translation:
Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant. Looting, slaughter, and plunder, they falsely call empire. And where they create a desert, they call it peace.
Tacitus, Agricola I (30).

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Well, he may be a bit like the apostle Paul, railing against his own 'problem'... :)

Reactions: BDS and hypolimnas

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey, Hypolimnas! I have alwys liked that you have a Tacitus quote in your signature--here's the full sentence in Latin, with my translation:
Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant. Looting, slaughter, and plunder, they falsely call empire. And where they create a desert, they call it peace.
Tacitus, Agricola I (30).

well I like Stoic philosophy plus your name is also butterfly species name .... shall I fuck you now the foreplay is done?

Reactions: marinera

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK, he's a crackpot. I never said I believed anything he was saying. I just wanted to hear some reactions. FYI, I'm not a Christian.
Would like to hear what you think since you posed the question to begin with.

Reactions: englad