What constitutes harassment?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Tintagel_Demondong, Jan 3, 2009.

1. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Is one incident enough to be deemed harassment, or can there only be harassment if there are several incidents?

2. Principessa

Gold Member

None of the definitions of harassment which I found specifically stated that the harassment was ongiing. Though IMO I thought that was assumed to be the case.

I don't know if you refer to a real life problem or someone here on LPSG. If this is occurring IRL you should go to the police.

From what I have observed here, it takes a majority vote of the moderators to have someone banned for harassment. There is sometimes discusssion as to whether repeated incidents are harassment or if the victim just has a thin skin. :irked: I have been told to basically suck it up and put the person on ignore a few times. :12: I find this greatly annoying especially when I know I am not the only one being attacked/harassed by this person. The chat trolls are particularly annoying as well.

3. Cowabanga

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    From what I have been told, if you feel that you are being harrass or if the chat is out of line to copy and paste the conversation and e-mail it to the moderator and they can take notes and read the transcript and let them decide what to do about it. What the worse thing to do is get defensive and attack back or return fire with fire. That doesn't mean to suck up, but state the comment was uncalled for and made you feel uncomfortable.

As Patrick Swayze say in "Road House" to the bouncer "be nice"

An interesting comment from the attacker in the chat stated that their action was justified because they deserve it.

Bullying haven't change since the old school ground antics, and it is more about fear of rejection. Already I have heard that certain group of people were the worse kind to deal with, and I ask what group is that? When I ask this I thought maybe I am not seeing it from their point of view, as I don't know the other party that they were bitching about and keep an open mind, and they reply it was the straight guy as being the most offensive. My red flag went up, because in real life there is no generalization of offending group, as everybody is different.

As for putting people on ignore, if they are attacking have a thick skin and be nice and ignore if you want, but when they are nice reward them for it, open up friendly duscussion and dont hold grudges.

I will admit the chat trolls are really good at what they do, at first when I heard people say so and so made them cry, I had thought how can another person make them cry? I see them in action, and I am impress! Was stated the chat room is not for the weak, and if you cant handle it then leave. Suck it up! I have heard that as well, so its not you and don't worry I am seeing this happening to others as well. Again just chat with those that are nice to you and reward them and brush the insult off your shoulder because your busy copying and pasting the insult on a note pad. If enough people just keep copying and pasting all the offending remarks, I think will help the moderator get a better perspective of what really going on in there. Going to take some time, just hang in there and don't let them take away your fun.

#3 Cowabanga, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    To paraphrase The Elephant Man:

Your head is so big because it's so full of

rhetorical questions.

5. Xcuze

Gold Member

My my what an interesting thread. What tales lurk beneath these posts?

Why dont we just name names & really get to the point?

Im game.

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Well the names Cowabunga is skirting around are those of Patchos and I. Since Cowabunga joined the site (under his previous name of Thickenwood) he has had a problem with both of us as we both said we disbelieved the size he claimed his penis to be. He's managed to be a little subterfugous in his post, what I said (when he accused me of being mean) was that I've never been mean to anyone who doesn't deserve it, if someone's constantly attacking me in the chat room (as often happens to women in there) yes I'll give as good as I get.

Last night he had allegedly had a whole list of people who'd told him I was a horrible bitch, anyone who's a regular in the chat room can tell you I'm one of the few who tries to be welcoming to newbies, who goes out of my way to help people.

We also had this conversation in chat after I mentioned my daughters bf's motorbike - I paraphrase but haven't left anything out that alters the conversation -
    him - so does your daughters bf have a big dick
    me - errr how would i know
    him - don't mothers and daughters share
    me- ok i don't like the way this conversation is heading towards incest

He then went off on one claiming it was I who had tried to instigate a conversation on incest and from what he said in the chat room made a complaint against me.

Last night out of the blue he attacked me for being mean, the man is holding a grudge because I said I didn't believe the size he said he was.

This will be all I'm saying on this matter, my reputation in the chat room will have to talk for me :)

#6 SpoiledPrincess, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Are you referring to real life, or cyber-world?

8. Xcuze

Gold Member

Spot on.

Certain members on this thread please take note.
    :rolleyes:

9. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Keep this thread going! I had no idea there was so much drama @ lpsg. I've traded flames with some people but I've never felt that I was being harassed. And to those I've flamed, I hope they don't think I was harassing them. The only exception being Trinity; I had a total disdain for her/him/it.

10. B_starinvestor

it sounds like this goes on in the chatrooms. Aren't most of the people usually drunk in the chatrooms?

11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I just started laughing so hard I spit ice tea all over the table...this statement from a man who has spent a great deal of time in the Politics Forum.

12. B_starinvestor

Well if its a Long Island Iced Tea you should get to the chatroom!:smile:

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I never drink and Moderate...Friends don't let friends moderate drunk!

14. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Careful, buddy. Don't play in the big leagues unless you're wearing knee pads.

Rec and I may dislike each other, but we respect each other.

In other words, [much as it makes me throw up a little in my mouth] he's my boy.

15. D_Brecock Evileye

D_Brecock Evileye New Member

Harasement is the modern day witch hunt. If a lady yells harasment and points your way. You are F**ked.

16. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Good to know that, for some people, the distinction remains.

:wink:

17. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Harassment is what happens after one person tells the other he or she doesn't want contact with them. It's defined as "any unwanted contact".

18. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've rarely been in the chat room. Spoiled Princess was welcoming and considerate towards me when we were both there.

19. nay-nay

nay-nay New Member

i was told that if something makes you feel uncomfortable in any way, it is harassment.

20. camper joe

Gold Member

Rec if someone bothering you, just use the ignore feature.

Draft saved Draft deleted