What determines if you have a large penis?

BIGdkluver

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Maybe this is a question that only a medical doctor can answer, but here goes:

What determines if a guy has a really large penis or a very small one?

Is it genetic? Is it hereditary? If a man's dad was well endowed, will the son be too? Or is it like some guys say, "It's just the luck of the draw!"

I'm just curious.

This is a serious question, and so I would appreciate serious responses.

Thanks! :smile:

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
BIGdkluver said:
Is it genetic?
well yeah - every aspect of our physiology is determined by genes. the point is that nobody knows WHICH genes - or if they do, they ain't saying :p

Is it hereditary?
to some extent, it has to be. but since we don't know what trait or combination of traits affect dick size, it's impossible to say HOW hereditary allocation (a pretty random process in itself) influences it.

nick22ca

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dr Rock said:
well yeah - every aspect of our physiology is determined by genes. the point is that nobody knows WHICH genes - or if they do, they ain't saying :p

Well that is entirely wrong (the part about physiological determination), but I'm too lazy to go into it as usual.

kwc4you2003

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, Dr. Rock is right. Our DNA is the blue print to our bodies. There is a gene that describes every imaginable part of our bodies. Nothing about the human body is "random". The problem about thinking about this is that we don't know which genes (most of them anyway) code which traits yet. And on top of that there is normally more than one gene that influences any one specific trait. I am a perfect example that penis size is not completely hereditary. I know for a fact that i'm the biggest in my family.
I have to imagine that large penis size is a reccesive trait so even if someone is "small" doesn't mean that they dont have the "large" gene to pass on.

And how do you know if you have a large penis? Ask the next person who sees it.

nick22ca

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
kwc4you2003 said:
No, Dr. Rock is right. Our DNA is the blue print to our bodies. There is a gene that describes every imaginable part of our bodies. Nothing about the human body is "random". The problem about thinking about this is that we don't know which genes (most of them anyway) code which traits yet. And on top of that there is normally more than one gene that influences any one specific trait. I am a perfect example that penis size is not completely hereditary. I know for a fact that i'm the biggest in my family.
I have to imagine that large penis size is a reccesive trait so even if someone is "small" doesn't mean that they dont have the "large" gene to pass on.

And how do you know if you have a large penis? Ask the next person who sees it.
Well no, this is entirely wrong too. A form of randomness (in fact, the major determinant of gene expression) is obvious when we consider environmental triggers. Your genes won't be expressed unless they are exposed to specific environmental stimuli, can't get much more random than that.

Of course there isn't a gene that describes every imaginable part of our bodies. This almost implies that genes are located in those specific body parts. The only way I would have *tolerated* that sentence is if you had said that many, many genes, when paired with environmental interactions, describe "every imaginable part of our bodies." And it is impossible for genes to code traits. Groups of genes themselves can't code traits alone, they need to be expressed and 'turned on' by environmental cues.

Just as a follow-up with regard to how completely wrong you are, consider the fact that the majority of our own genome is made up of random and useless information, so-called 'junk DNA.' Many things in our genetic code, and in gene expression, are very random indeed.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
nick22ca said:
Just as a follow-up with regard to how completely wrong you are,...

Politeness and manners when responding to a point cost nothing, and might give the impression that you don't have an obnoxious personality. Just a passing thought. :rolleyes:

nick22ca

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
alex8 said:
Politeness and manners when responding to a point cost nothing, and might give the impression that you don't have an obnoxious personality. Just a passing thought. :rolleyes:

Passing thoughts also cost nothing, and even more, require nothing. I don't want to give that impression, for obvious reasons.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am just wondering how you could tell if environment or hormones had made a genetically small penis at birth larger in later life or whether that was also just the genes. Equally could a genetically large penis at birth become smaller.

nick22ca

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lordpendragon said:
I am just wondering how you could tell if environment or hormones had made a genetically small penis at birth larger in later life or whether that was also just the genes. Equally could a genetically large penis at birth become smaller.

It's an interesting question. I think all the factors that possibly influence penis size could interact in the ways you described.

Irish

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Johns Island (South Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really wanted to come in and just post:
BIGdkluver said:
What determines if a guy has a really large penis or a very small one?
The size of his penis.

And be done with it.

I assume it's genetic, but as has been said, no particular gene has been isolated. There are probably environmental effects (diet and/or hormone levels through puberty), but are probably minor factors.

It's generall safe to just treat it as random because we don't know what genes and we don't know how they get passed or distributed. For all intents and purposes it is random until we learn more.

LookinginLV

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Won't it be a scary world when parents' can make babies to order? Imagine a world full of guys with 10", then 12", then 14" penises....

Jerus

Just Browsing
Media
Does testosterone levels have anything to do with it?

I was 'average' until the age of 16/17 when I begun the Gym. I was taking testosterone boosting supplements (not seriods) and well as protine / creatine / vitamins and the usual junk skinny guys subject themselves to in order to get buff. It was only then that my penis started growing from a modest 7" to 10" and almost double the girth it was previously of the course of 18mts.

It only stopped growing when I stopped going to the gym and taking supplements, in fact if anything it seemed to shrink a little but nearly as quick as my muscles just fell off me. Damn my metabolism.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Jerus said:
Does testosterone levels have anything to do with it?
not by themselves, no. obviously, being a growth hormone, it's vital in development, but i think it's been shown that the amount of testosterone doesn't necessarily correlate to degrees of development in every secondary sexual characteristic.

jonadkins

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
What determines whether you have a large penis?
It depends on how charitable that great feminist Mother Nature is feeling.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That gene certainly is random...i am the only average sized member of my immediate family...all the others are very endowed....and taller, too.