What did you call them?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had a flashback moment the other day to an incident from 1975. I was in a car- a Volvo station wagon (deep blue)- with a friend of mine, his younger sister and their parents (I had the hots for his dad-he was a doctor after all; but that's another matter).

My friend asked his mother a question and called her 'Mother'. He also called his father 'Father'. It wasn't a matter of them not being those things; it was the word. Other children didn't do that-at least not in New York City in the 70s. It was Mom, ma, food-maker, maid, mommy/mami, etc. and Dad. Da, Pop, Papa, Daddy, money-bags, etc. on the other side. Often times the name from their native land was used to refer to the parent.

What all did you call your parents? For the record, I have no recollection of what I called my father-I saw him rarely and he then died when I was in my early teens and we barely communicated when he was around. My mother, oddly enough eventually became 'Mother'.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I was afraid of him and disliked him but in Texas you called your father 'Daddy.'

Mom - She's almost 82 now and I'm her caregiver.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Odd thing - I called my father by his first name while calling my mother 'Mum' til about age 12 - when I started calling her by her first name (she expressed a preference) and started calling him Dad.

Now I mainly call them by their first names but refer to them in the third person as Mum and Dad.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was always Mom and Dad for me.

Oddly enough, with two exceptions, all my friends also called her "Mom." One called her "Aunt Lori" and the other called her "Mrs. Deep." I always thought it was really odd, though. Mom was much more strict than most of my friends' parents (she would have taken a switch to them in a heartbeat if they misbehaved), but most of my friends wanted her for "Mom," instead of their own mothers.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
By their first names. The idea of mother/father, mom/dad, ma/pop blah, blah, blah, just was not something I never used. Besides, it would have most likely annoyed the Hell out of them had I said, "Mom, dad, can I borrow the car?" or some such Nelson Family weirdness.

Then again, I always had my own car.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I always called my mother "mommy" until her death. I used to call my father "dad" but after my mom's passing it changed to "daddy" unintentionally. I don't know why.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I call them mommy & daddy. Sometimes I call my mother Mommy Dearest or Mother but only when she pisses me off or I am for whatever reason annoyed with her. :smile: Oddly enough, I am rarely annoyed with dad. :rolleyes:

It was always Mom and Dad for me.

Oddly enough, with two exceptions, all my friends also called her "Mom." One called her "Aunt Lori" and the other called her "Mrs. Deep." I always thought it was really odd, though. Mom was much more strict than most of my friends' parents (she would have taken a switch to them in a heartbeat if they misbehaved), but most of my friends wanted her for "Mom," instead of their own mothers.

All my friends have always loved both my parents. It was not unusual to have friends come over from 6th-12th grade and beyond and spend more time chatting and trailing my parents than with me. :rolleyes: It used to annoy me until I realized it was because they sought what was lacking in their own parents.

I blame this on the early 1970's trend towards parents thinking they should be friends with their children, rather than actually parenting them.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mother and Daddy.
I have never called to my mother as mom, mommy, mamma, or anything else. My father, I alternatively refer to as Father or Daddy.

The Daddy thing is weird, but that's how they do it on my Mom's side of the family. I asked if they noticed how weird that (formal Mother, informal Daddy) was and no one has noticed but myself and a female cousin my age.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Mum and Dad.

It makes me smile when my mother refers to my dad by his first name, she still corrects herself. "Well I was saying to John, I mean Dad, the other day..."

Like I don't know who she's referring to!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My two girls (age 34 & 31) call me Daddy. One of my sons (36) calls me Dad, the other (33) calls me either Dad or Pops.

My 8 grandkids call me whatever they want and it ranges from Grandpa to Pawpaw to Popple to Big Grandpa.