What Do We Think About Mens Fashion Today?

As a guy who's really into fashion, I'm a creative person so it's my other way of expressing myself. I feel like mens fashion is more expanded than it's ever been. So many different options and directions to go. I also appreciate that there's a lot of unisex clothing. I'm really into streetwear fashion, which happens to be running shit right now. I as born in the 90s, but he 90s happen to be my favorite fashion era, so I'm just in love with all these 90s inspired clothes I've come across, the oversized aesthetics. I appreciate that there's finally crop tops for all men. I've always been fascinated and wanted to wear them, but never seen any that fit me. Now I have about seven or eight (mostly bought, three of them I cut, lol). It's nice to see so many guys just being themselves, different colors. My generation has demolished the old masculinity myth statute. Just a really cool time in mens fashion. With that said, there's also some really trash shit out there, lol. Just saying.

What do you guys think?

Lance V

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
As a man who owns 15 pair of shoes I think I have enough credibility to weigh in on this. I was born in the 60s, so hippies definitely influenced my early years.

But I am a chameleon and will conform myself to the environment I happen to be in at a particular time. If I'm on assignment and don't want to be obvious I have plain jane gray suits with red ties.

But my wardrobe is much more varied and changes all the time. I try not to keep more than 20 button downs in my closet at one time (record is 42). The ARC of Dallas is beneficiary of a lot of my hand-me-downs. My dress shirts look like a rainbow hanging there.

When I last counted them in 2017 I had seven suits, two tuxes, four sports jackets, 42 ties (coincidence), and 14 bow ties. I was very embarrassed recently when a lady friend stayed over, and she tried to put her coat in the coat closet. She asked "Who are all of these coats for? There's no more room." They were all mine.

I think I picked up another suit or two since then and a camel hair sports coat.

Crop tops are not my thing, but you be you.

Reactions: AI93JR

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I prefer to dress nicely. I have two walk in closets full of suits, at least on tux, dress shirts, sports coats, top coats, ties, belts, shoes. That doesn't include jeans, boots, leather coats, and jackets and every day wear.

I really wish we as men were more prone to wear styles like Cary Grant used to wear. Of course something happened along the way. Somehow wearing pants half way off your butt is a thing. It's not my thing. I prefer to wear clothes that fit me nicely. No loose baggy clothes for me. I've got way too many clothes biggrin.

palmer

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm very much a t-shirt and jeans/dickies shorts kind of guy. But I do own a 3 piece suit and several pairs of dress shoes for special occasions. And I have way too many shoes for different purposes.
It's interesting to see the street wear fashion come back (born in the 80s) and I've only seen one guy in a crop top, but it was good/different to see.

Reactions: AI93JR and Gj816

I prefer to dress nicely. I have two walk in closets full of suits, at least on tux, dress shirts, sports coats, top coats, ties, belts, shoes. That doesn't include jeans, boots, leather coats, and jackets and every day wear.

I really wish we as men were more prone to wear styles like Cary Grant used to wear. Of course something happened along the way. Somehow wearing pants half way off your butt is a thing. It's not my thing. I prefer to wear clothes that fit me nicely. No loose baggy clothes for me. I've got way too many clothes biggrin.

Two walk-in closets? Damn, lol. Even though I enjoy streetwear, I'm not a fan of the sagging thing either. I think it's silly. I do enjoy baggy clothes though, they look really good on me. Dressing up is not really my thing, but I'm down for smart casual, me mixing street wear with dress-wear.

Reactions: Gj816 and palmer

palmer

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The only baggy pants I own are my dickies double knee work pants. My jeans are loose fitted but I wear a belt and have never sagged.
I kind of want to learn how to dress smart casual (shorts and leather shoes) but I don't want to go full dad mode.

Reactions: AI93JR and Gj816

colday

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My two cents worth is to do with hair styles, and beards. If you can't grow a full beard then give it up, I mean these guys with splotches of hair on their face growing a full beard is nothing but being lazy because they don't want to shave. These haircuts, I guess you call them fades. Some people, they just don't look good on. Like Scott Caan on Hawaii 5-0, his head it too big to be wearing the hairstyle that he's wearing now. Some people don't look good with a shaved head but there they go and shave their head. I'm bald on top but have hair around my head that I keep very short/buzzed but I would never shave my head because I don't have a nice shaped head. People need to realize their limitations in any style whether its clothes or hair/beards.
It's as bad as these heavy set women who try to wear skinny jeans with the muffin top hanging over. I mean for real? Their called skinny jeans for a reason, they are for skinny people! Oh and I hate the sagging pants too.

Reactions: Gj816

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't wear suits to work. I wear a uniform that my job supplies and requires. Unless I'm going somewhere nice, funerals, church, weddings, etc I usually wear jeans with boots or tennis shoes, sandals, or maybe loafers.

I do enjoy getting dressed up in a nice three piece or a business casual suitthough. Shorts and tee shirts in the summer although not always a shirt. Sometimes just shorts sandals and drop the top on my jeep and off I go. Ha ha.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My two cents worth is to do with hair styles, and beards. If you can't grow a full beard then give it up, I mean these guys with splotches of hair on their face growing a full beard is nothing but being lazy because they don't want to shave. These haircuts, I guess you call them fades. Some people, they just don't look good on. Like Scott Caan on Hawaii 5-0, his head it too big to be wearing the hairstyle that he's wearing now. Some people don't look good with a shaved head but there they go and shave their head. I'm bald on top but have hair around my head that I keep very short/buzzed but I would never shave my head because I don't have a nice shaped head. People need to realize their limitations in any style whether its clothes or hair/beards.
It's as bad as these heavy set women who try to wear skinny jeans with the muffin top hanging over. I mean for real? Their called skinny jeans for a reason, they are for skinny people! Oh and I hate the sagging pants too.

I have grown a beard and wore one for about a year. You've still got to keep it groomed. I prefer clean shaven for me. I also keep my hair cut high and tight. So much easier to keep. Just long enough on top for a little palmade, or gel depending on the occasion.

Almost40

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hoodie sweaters (as officially hated by Lagerfeld) and sweatpants are my most valuable clothes, along with blue jeans some cool sneakers and vostock watches. I absolutely hate ties and suits and i'm as miserable as it gets when I must have one on.. btw when the occasion calls for one I will wear a suit. Fashion in general just does not work for me.I go for "that particular item"" just because I like it rather than the brand. I don't follow trends anymore, it was a big thing during high school or when I was working in nightclubs, but not anymore. And to think one of my early jobs was a clothes salesman in a very reputable fashion store, selling mostly world class brands.... Life IS a bitch...

Reactions: Gj816 and AI93JR

blip45

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Western style snap shirts, jeans and cowboy boots are my mainstay. That being said the trend has gone to bedazzled jeans and the squared off toe boots. I refuse to be manipulated into buying this crap and will not wear it.

Reactions: lexguy81 and Gj816

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I retired early and mostly wear shorts and V-neck tee shirts these days, even in the winter here. Could care less about style but will dress up sharp once in a while to tease the girls and piss off most of the guy ;):p

Gucci Lover

Expert Member
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
As a guy who's really into fashion, I'm a creative person so it's my other way of expressing myself. I feel like mens fashion is more expanded than it's ever been. So many different options and directions to go. I also appreciate that there's a lot of unisex clothing. I'm really into streetwear fashion, which happens to be running shit right now. I as born in the 90s, but he 90s happen to be my favorite fashion era, so I'm just in love with all these 90s inspired clothes I've come across, the oversized aesthetics. I appreciate that there's finally crop tops for all men. I've always been fascinated and wanted to wear them, but never seen any that fit me. Now I have about seven or eight (mostly bought, three of them I cut, lol). It's nice to see so many guys just being themselves, different colors. My generation has demolished the old masculinity myth statute. Just a really cool time in mens fashion. With that said, there's also some really trash shit out there, lol. Just saying.

What do you guys think?
Love that men’s fashion has pushed some gender boundaries with shoes and street wear also! Unisex crop tips and Capri pants always look good! Baggy clothing on the right guy looks incredible.....

Reactions: AI93JR

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

What do you guys think?
i wore tight jeans before they were cool lol

but i did have baggy jeans I still got a few pairs depending on what i'm doing

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Fashion is often dictated by ones geographical location and age

New York City Fashion, may generally differ from Montana / Florida or California Etc. If one liven in a 4 season location, ones wardrobe would so reflect. Crop Tops are nice, though I do not own any. But in NY to wear one outside from November to late April is unadvised.

I like suits; at least for work. If one is thinking suit fashion, then one would need a rotating supply.
Early Fall Suits / accessory colors tend to be more earth / rust / orange
Winter Suits are made of thicker material / woo, so they can only be worn in cold months
Spring Suits / colors - accessories probably a little brighter than winter to welcome the change in season
Summer lighter fabrics cotton - Linen
Definitely a few year round , work horse suites in the 200 G weight range ( get to know wool weights )
Throw in the special occasion suit / jacket for holidays - parties that get worn once a year
Top of with 40 pairs of shoes and this makes for a well rounded wardrobe

As some of you are younger / older than others, I want to impart something that was told to me by a wise man

FASHION changes season to season. That which is fashionable today, may be out of fashion tomorrow. While STYLE is eternal .
If you can figure out what this references, give yourselves a pat on the back

Reactions: 286798 and g0nz0

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Nothing looks or feels better than a tailored suit. Every man should spring for at least one in his lifetime.:cool:

I purchased my first over thirty years ago. Then came tailored shirts--dress shirts then casuals. I was hooked.

I have lots of clothes from off the racks/stacks and they have their uses & styles but seem to hang on me by comparison.

Reactions: Vgs2 and ronin001

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As I have aged through the decades, I have become less and less concerned about fashion. As others have said, I wear what I like and don't care what others think. I am very hygienic and always presentable wherever I go.

I like Nautica boxers instead of tight underwear, lightweight gym shorts, sweatpants, and track pants, short sleeve and long sleeve cotton t-shirts, tie dye, running shoes and flip flops, and zip-up hoodie sweatshirts by Champion. These are the clothes that I wear 90% of my waking hours. Around the house, I wear a pair of socks most of the year. When it is warm enough, I go barefoot. I only wear shoes when I have to.

I wear cycling shorts / bibs for long bike rides, and a Speedo when I go to the beach or pool; otherwise, I don't wear anything tight.

When I have to dress beyond gym shorts and sweatpants, I like Levis 511 corduroy jeans and a belt, with a long sleeve button down shirt. I have a few pair of dressier shorts and polo shirts.

When I have to be more formal, I wear a nice suit, dress shirt, tie, and highly-shined black dress shoes.