What do you call those things on glasses?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
true...but arms are really no different than stems, or sides, in terms of what people mean.

:smile:

If you say the "arms" on my glasses, everyone will know what you are saying as opposed to any other term. You can guess at what stems are, but temple is confusing if you don't know what it means in relations to glasses.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ha! This is so funny Mem; I just got my sunglasses back from being repaired & the temple pieces were one of the things that needed repair.

On a side note; eight weeks without sunglasses was HELL. :firedevil:

Why didn't you just go to the flea market or somewhere else and buy a cheaper pair to use?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you say the "arms" on my glasses, everyone will know what you are saying as opposed to any other term. You can guess at what stems are, but temple is confusing if you don't know what it means in relations to glasses.

dude...i am not saying that temple is not confusing...but that is what they are called. that is the name.

and arms is no more clear then stems, and certainly not any more clear then "sides" or as many optometry histories state "side pieces"...before finally being called "temples"

History Of Eye Glasses - teagleoptometry.com

and the fact is, they are called temples, because the first pair to have the rigid sidepieces, were designed so that the sidepiece, obviously, rested against the temples, providing a firm fit...thusly the name "Temple Spectacles"...then later, came the double-hinged temple.

Eyeglasses Through the Ages

so let's just stop this nonsensical squabbling.

they are called temples, however it does not matter how one chooses to refer to them in their own vernacular, be it "Stems" "arms" or "side-thingys"

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
dude...arms arms arms arms arms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms armsarms arms arms arms

:eek:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Uhm, I always thought they were arms, but since they do rest on the ears, one would think they be called earrests too, no?
Not really.
An armrest supports your arm, thus resting it.
A headrest supports your head, thus resting it.
Glasses don't support the ear in any way.

Temple or stem may be the correct terms but I've always called them arms and will continue to do so as it's never caused any confusion.

* I like Mastur's suggestion of "legs". That's bound to engender some smirks.

TopDudeFtl

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why didn't you just go to the flea market or somewhere else and buy a cheaper pair to use?

I know, we went over this here at home for some time. :pat:

Since glasses sit on a face, why not call them legs...?

Speaking of legs. :wink: