What do you do on Saturdays?

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hate Saturdays.

I mean, I look forward to the weekend all week, but when it comes, I don't know what to do with myself.

When I was a kid, Saturdays were something to look forward to. In the morning I'd watch cartoons, then play with my friends all afternoon until Mom called me for dinner.

But now? I've been here most of the day. I woke up at 8:30, booted up the computer, made breakfast, and hung out here. Now as much as I enjoy lpsg, by noon I was thinking "I need to hurry up and finish up here so that I can go DO something" but it took me until 3:30 to tear myself away (feeling like I was leaving stuff undone) and by then I was hungry, tired, bored, and cranky.

But what else to do? I could think of many things that I should have been doing such as:
  • cleaning my apartment
  • doing the dishes
  • doing laundry
  • paying bills
  • going through that huge stack of mail I've been avoiding for months
  • attempting to understand my retirement accounts and deciding if I should revise my portfolio
  • update my resume
  • search for a new job
Alas, I regard all of these things as tedious and boring, and none of them involved leaving the house. Today was warm, sunny, and beautiful. It seemed that there should have been a way to enjoy the day, but I couldn't think of what it was.

Eventually I did go out. I got a bite to eat, browsed a bookstore, got an iced coffee, and went for a walk. Great fun, huh? I considered going to the movies, but there's nothing playing that I want to see.

So I'm looking for ideas for how to enjoy my weekend. What do other people do on their days off?

zumzum

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Perhaps the only thing I will never understand are people who get "bored".

If you get bored you've got a problem.

I can't get bored, even in a desert island.

This is post industrial revolution emptiness :p

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I usually end up sitting on the couch in front of the TV or the computer, bored out of my bloody mind. I have friends and go out and do things from time to time during the week with them, but when the weekend comes along they all scatter, and I end up sitting at home alone. sigh.....whats a lonely bear to do?

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
When I was in a ltr there was never enough time outside of work but now that I’m single my off days can get long as well since I don’t enjoy doing things by myself that much (crossing my fingers I hurry up and find another ltr asap as I type this!).

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Sleep in very late, black coffee, go to the markets and get some produce, duck into the wine merchants to see what new vintages have been released and discuss the menu for the next "Long Lunch" that he holds once a month that I cook for.
But in the next few weekends I will be gardening at a repsite center for disabled and mentally handicapped children.
It is a center where parents can send their child for a few days so that they(the parents) can rest.
I am in the process of ripping out poisonous plants and replacing them with harmless ones.
I have also planned a herb garden and a chamolie and white thyme lawn that will release scent when they play on it.

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sleep in very late, black coffee, go to the markets and get some produce, duck into the wine merchants to see what new vintages have been released and discuss the menu for the next "Long Lunch" that he holds once a month that I cook for.
But in the next few weekends I will be gardening at a repsite center for disabled and mentally handicapped children.
It is a center where parents can send their child for a few days so that they(the parents) can rest.
I am in the process of ripping out poisonous plants and replacing them with harmless ones.
I have also planned a herb garden and a chamolie and white thyme lawn that will release scent when they play on it.

I was with you on the market and wine perusal, but dammit if that last bit didn't make me feel hollow, shallow, and all sorts of other 'low's.

Guess I'll get back to drinking. I'll probably forget how little I do to help out those in need after eleventy more glasses.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Cool, what a lovely person! Why if I were straight ….. oh never mind I’m not! :rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

!!!!! Yah!

I've never understood boredom, either.

That's funny, my first response to the OP was "have some coffee, then work in the yard." My partner and I both find an hour in the garden much more theraputic and relaxing than a hundred hours in counseling would be! When we lived in an apartment, we did "volunteer" gardening at a church in DC; we were/are not members of the church, but are friends with several of the gardeners there. We have our own house now, with a yard and gardens, so that's where we invest our time & love & sweat.

If I get around to it soon, DF20, I'll PM you more about my passion for gardening.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i love saturdays! on saturdays i can be found almost anywhere! sometimes i'm home doing homework, laundry, household stuff, or just hanging online. other times i'm out all day, at the beach, doing family stuff, hanging with friends, or out on the town at a bar or a club. it's almost always unpredictable. but what always on saturdays though is catching up on my sleep!!! i won't be awake until after 12pm :biggrin:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I'm bored all the time. Lately I've been thinking that my life has been reduced to little more than a constant struggle against boredom.

Yeah, I do. But I'm trying to find a solution.

OK, but is that because you find sitting around doing nothing to be interesting and enjoyable, or is that because you have the ability to find interesting things to do, no matter where you are?

If it's the latter, then it would be helpful--and this goes for DC_Deep and kalipygian, as well--if you could answer my original question and tell me what do you DO to keep from being bored?

I think I agree with you. But that doesn't solve my problem.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Happy Sunday!

A second thunderstorm just hit, and it's dark out and pouring rain. I've love the atmopshere of a thunderstorm...all those negative ions in the air are so refreshing. It's a perfect day to stay in, chill out, listen to the rain, go through the mail, do laundry, etc. I've got some ironing to do, too, so maybe I'll watch the movie I rented while doing that.