What do you eat?

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was inspired by the "30 WORST FOODS IN AMERICA" Thread, but didn't want to pollute it or take it off track. So I started this one. The first paragraph is my comment in the other, but I decided to put the rest here for aforementioned reasons:

I refuse to shop at any supermarket type place at all. All the hot gay guys are at the organic food stores, and they all have cracking bods. So I became a veggie :D.

No lies, not eating meat rawks. The protein I get comes from cheese and whey protein drinks (which i drink alot of since I am bulking up). In the 2 week de-meating period I went through, I lost ~10 pounds, and I am still losing fat, but I am increasing my lean muscle mass. (Best dietitian ever.)

Now, I am not vegan, as my body would want to kill me, but I prefer organic foods wherever possible. I have usually, a bowl of fiber 1 and some fruit (at least 2 different fruits) for breakfast, a salad of baby greens, a few croutons and carrot shavings, diced red onions, and lemon / balsamic vinegar dressing for lunch. Dinner is usually some sort of pasta (I am a nighthawk and sleep hater; go to bed at about 5 AM, get up around noon, so I use the carbs then) with lots of fruits and veggies, but I usually do a massive cook, then eat that for like a week (ie a big pasta salad, veggie lasagna...). Snacks are protein shakes (2 a day)

What do you think?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
been a veghead since about 13 years old. *oh the smug is strong in this one*

most of my food comes from the co-op or the farmer's market. fresh veggies, seasonal fruit are pretty much the mainstay of my diet. rounded out with tofu, whole grains, nuts, beans and lentils for protein. swapped out sugar with brown rice syrup years ago.

i am still caffeine's bitch. black tea is a healthier way of getting my fix.

i try to avoid all processed foods. all food with excess packaging. try to stay in the 200 mile rule. basically i am hell to go shopping with :redface: local markets really do have the best produce.

i take some supplements, usually when the food i want/should be eating is out of season. year round it's the fatty acids, the Bs and extra iron.

i have random attacks of Mrs. See's induced madness. stupid holiday gift boxes :irked:

eta: i do the same thing with cooking a few huge meals to be gobbled through the week. sunday is usually the stay in the kitchen until i hate the smell of food day. and the day my skeevy stoner friends just happen to drop by.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not a vegan even tho I don't eat meat that much. Like ML I stay in the kitchen all Sunday usually listening to dr call in shows on the radio, the pet and garden show while cooking after I go to the market and farmer's market. I try to stay away from all packaged foods although I have to admit I love Stove Top stuffing w/anything.
I try to eat fish at least twice a week and do good w/chicken and I make kick-ass meatballs and pasta sauce. nothing like fresh garlic, onions, scallions and produce.
I'm overly concerned about fat and trans fats so I gave up butter and mayo yrs ago and opt for the Smart Balance which taste exactly the same to me.
I'm a protein shake guy too. My goal usually is to approach 4000 cals. a day. I need almost 2700 just to NOT lose weight.
i LOVE to eat and I LOVE good food.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
I have usually, a bowl of fiber 1 and some fruit (at least 2 different fruits) for breakfast, a salad of baby greens, a few croutons and carrot shavings, diced red onions, and lemon / balsamic vinegar dressing for lunch.
What do you think?

Truthfully, I think (correction: I know) I'd expire before dinner on your diet. :eek:

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i should have mentioned that I also do vitamins. I take Centrum Completes every day. Oddly I do not much care for tofu, but I have eaten it before, so I can say i tried it. I like shooping locally. But here in the tunrda... jk. There is a local hydroponic facilty, open all year, just up the road, and I get stuff there when I can. (beacuse the owner is a damn fin man.)

Anyone else?

Truthfully, I think (correction: I know) I'd expire before dinner on your diet. :eek:
Really? I do not have huge portions, becuase I am really trying to cut back, but wow. You must be one of those heavy eaters :D

I'm a protein shake guy too. My goal usually is to approach 4000 cals. a day. I need almost 2700 just to NOT lose weight.
i LOVE to eat and I LOVE good food.

HOLY JUMPING COCKS, BATMAN! My maintainance on my current workout regimen is 2400, so I try to break a little above even because I am bulking the lean muscle. Approaching 4000, are you bulking like a mofo?

Last edited:

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, that sounds... just fantastic, actually.

It is esp when you find tofu that isn't overly salted. I never use salt. Just barely like it. I never went in for tofu products made to look like real food but it's come along way. a vegan friend had a vegan bbq one night and the tofu hot dogs were OUT of this world delicious. They tasted and had the texture of a hot dog. Yumm-O. Not that tofu should only be appreciated if it tastes like the food you gave up but these products have come alllllooooong way.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Eat? You mean in the line of "food"?

Probably a whole bunch of stuff I shouldn't be, though I've been trying to be more wary. Have cut way back on the bacon (anyone try "turkey bacon"??), hamburgers, mayo, batter fried seafoods, french fries, and sweets. Don't eat neary as much fruit as I should (hardly eat any, in fact).

Don't know if this link has been posted before, but it might be interesting for some:

Eat This, Not That - The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution From Men's Health

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Really? I do not have huge portions, becuase I am really trying to cut back, but wow. You must be one of those heavy eaters :D
Not a heavy eater, per se, just a lover of food in general. I often have to pay for it with my workouts, though. Doubtless I could live just fine on a bit less, but birdseed and watercress? Ehh, no. :tongue:

Nice. My veggie meals just not enough for you to live on lol? :D
Well, maaaaybe for an hour. Tops (bottoms?). LOL.

Eating with HellsKitchenManNYC is an exercise in self-loathing and envy. By the time he orders the cheesecake you want to make it a murder-suicide. He never gains an ounce! I swear he should sell his genes to some Park Avenue diet doctor. He'd make a fortune.

Those of you who live in places where alternative food is available are very lucky. We have farms and farmer's markets, but only for a few months in autumn and summer. The rest of the time it's back to the agribuisness supermarket. Where I live we really have no choice in our food supply unless we drive great distances. Our supermarket has two whole aisles of organic pre-packaged foods and that's it. To add insult to injury they charge twice as much for the organic stuff. It's horrendously expensive to pay $4.99 for an Amy's personal size pizza, particularly on food stamps.

My sister up in bumfuck Vermont, whose entire population is nearly the same as my county, has a whole bunch of organic markets and the most amazing food co-op that charges far less than we pay here in downstate New York and the food is outstanding.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Those of you who live in places where alternative food is available are very lucky. We have farms and farmer's markets, but only for a few months in autumn and summer. The rest of the time it's back to the agribuisness supermarket. Where I live we really have no choice in our food supply unless we drive great distances. Our supermarket has two whole aisles of organic pre-packaged foods and that's it. To add insult to injury they charge twice as much for the organic stuff. It's horrendously expensive to pay $4.99 for an Amy's personal size pizza, particularly on food stamps.

My sister up in bumfuck Vermont, whose entire population is nearly the same as my county, has a whole bunch of organic markets and the most amazing food co-op that charges far less than we pay here in downstate New York and the food is outstanding.

On your off seasons, when yo're in the city you shhould go to the farmer's market a block from me. It's open year round.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been into healthy eating since the '70s, and rarely buy anything in a can or box. Almost everything I eat is home made, healthy gourmet, and vegetarian. I'll have Cajun salmon or a fish taco on occasion, otherwise, no meat or poultry. Fruit is on the menu for breakfast. I make home made vegetable soup with some type of bean or lentil in a 6 gallon batch, and then freeze it in small Tupperware containers. I have soup every day for lunch, and love it. When I fix the individual portion every morning to bring to work, I'll place some brown Basmati rice or whole wheat pasta in the serving bowl, followed by frozen chopped spinach, and then ladle the soup over it. My coworkers drop $5 - $6 every day for lunch on greasy, starchy fast food while I have healthy, delicious soup that won't make me sleepy after lunch. Dinner ususally includes a mixed green salad with carrot ribbons, cucumber slices, and vine ripe tomatoes. I make a simple dressing with chopped garlic, Balsalmic vinegar, and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). Toss the salad and then add grated Pecorino Romano Cheese (from Italy). The garlic and Pecorino are the secrets that make it taste world class. I make numerous items to go with the salad, often with a Mexican or Italian theme, that usually includes a whole grain of some sort, some type of beans, peas, or lentils, and some type of steamed veggies. I use garlic heavily, so my food is not bland at all. I try never to eat white flour, white pasta, white rice, potato, and sugar in all forms. My goal is to live to be 100. So far, it's working!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I eat quite a bit of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat (twice a week) Chicken and fish. I won't eat anything with chemicals or preservatives. When I was younger I would be more adventurous, but now, balls, brains, and organs of any kind I take a pass on.