What do you give a high school graduate these days?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Graduation gifts always stump me. What do you give that's hip and appropriate for a girl going off to college next year? I was thinking of a iTunes gift certificate if there is such a thing. Price under $100.

Any suggestions?

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If you have an idea of what she's planning to study, why not a book relevant to her studies...but with a slightly different slant or angle.

Several years ago, I received a book on Egyptian mythology as a Christmas present, in the midst of my Biblical studies, it has become an invaluable resource - I've gained great insights etc. from it.

Why not make her a Powerpoint presentation (or something along those lines) with some of your favourite "pick me up" quotes, poems, insights etc. (you strike me as a person with a lot of depth etc.), burn it onto CD and design a personalised CD label...you can give it to her as a reminder that you are with her during the difficult patches she is bound to face.

You can make a collage using photographs of the times that you have spent together etc., laminate it and she can keep it on her desk.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Graduation gifts always stump me. What do you give that's hip and appropriate for a girl going off to college next year? I was thinking of a iTunes gift certificate if there is such a thing. Price under $100.

Any suggestions?

That sounds good! Or find out what chain restaurants are near campus and get her a few gift cards for those. Campus cafeterias are light years better today than they were 20 years ago, but it's still nice to be able to go off campus and get a decent meal or just different meal. Or better yet Target or Wal-Mart.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
My youngest cousin graduates on Thursday and when I asked him what he'd like for a gift he, with a grin on his face, immediately said "Money!".:biggrin:

Hunt3ed

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Money always does the trick, but when you are new at college, a memento of home or a lucky charm that you can wear or hold is soppy and sweet. It reminds you of home, and freinds, and can be a source of inspiration at certain times.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Money or some sort of gift certificate (food places, best buy, etc). I like the iTunes idea, if she uses LimeWire smack her for not supporting the artists. Or something that both reminds her of something at home and makes her look forward to college. Last year when my girlfriend at the time was leaving for college I used mapquest and looked far and wide to find street signs to steal with our names, our high school name, and the name of her college on them. After I gathered all the signs i made a picture frame out of them. Wasn't the prettiest picture frame i've ever seen, but it was unique and she loved it.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like the picture collage ideas but honestly I don't have the time to gather and put it all together and make it nice. It's a very nice momento to have I must say.

The only thing about gift certificates and money is that they are just too easy and not very special, practical yes. Who remembers how much your Uncle Logjam gave you on Christmas? I'd like a gift to be special no matter how small.

So I am leaning on buying her a small digital camera. A compact one that she can use to send pictures to her folks and have images of her time in college. Thanks Kink for the idea.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A unique laptop bag if she has a laptop. You could hide several, "we're so proud of you" notes in different pockets.

Again, if she has a laptop, something to prevent it being stolen would be thoughtful and prudent.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Money or some sort of gift certificate (food places, best buy, etc). I like the iTunes idea, if she uses LimeWire smack her for not supporting the artists. Or something that both reminds her of something at home and makes her look forward to college. Last year when my girlfriend at the time was leaving for college I used mapquest and looked far and wide to find street signs to steal with our names, our high school name, and the name of her college on them. After I gathered all the signs i made a picture frame out of them. Wasn't the prettiest picture frame i've ever seen, but it was unique and she loved it.
Hey! I use LimeWire... the professional version by the way.. and I didn't pay a dime for it... sheesh. *puts wrists out to be slapped*
I like the picture collage ideas but honestly I don't have the time to gather and put it all together and make it nice. It's a very nice momento to have I must say.

The only thing about gift certificates and money is that they are just too easy and not very special, practical yes. Who remembers how much your Uncle Logjam gave you on Christmas? I'd like a gift to be special no matter how small.

So I am leaning on buying her a small digital camera. A compact one that she can use to send pictures to her folks and have images of her time in college. Thanks Kink for the idea.
Digital cameras can get expensive... maybe go halfers with someone else in your family, and get a quality one. Again, I'm not sure where you live... they are quite expensive here.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just asked my sister this same question, as my niece is about to graduate, (Full four year scholarship!... So proud of her.) Good to hear other ideas.

My thoughts were things that will keep her up with popular culture... everyday things that are expensive for a student's budget and will keep her up to date with her peers, i.e., Gift Certificates for music stores (CD's, sheet music, strings, reeds, etc.), bookstores and movie theaters (Spiderman3... $11!!!... sheesh...).

Also I have offered her, when she moves out of Student Housing and gets a place of her own, any of my quality kitchenware that I don't need. I have enough for 3 households. She can come over and have a shopping spree in my kitchen cupboards and get set up for herself.

Onan

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Onan, your avatar is making me dizzy, more dizzy than usual. Someone mentioned a Tiffany's wrist braclet with a heart on it. It's supposed to be all the rage among teenage girls these days. Anyone know about this?

The laptop case sounds good. But all the ones I've seen look like they are for older business types. None look very girly.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hey! I use LimeWire... the professional version by the way.. and I didn't pay a dime for it... sheesh. *puts wrists out to be slapped*

Lol, it's all good. Most of my friends use LimeWire and think i'm "foolish to pay for my music." To each their own i guess.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you are getting her a digital camera (which I think is an excellent idea); make sure you get the highest possible optical zoom you can afford. Optical zoom is what makes the picture look clear when enlarged and printed out.

I lucked out last August and got an HP Photosmart R817 for $140 at Target. It has 5x optical zoom and 8x digital zoom. It's what I used to take all of the pics in my gallery. :tongue:

LouisVauban

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My niece wanted a VERY expensive digital camera for graduation... So, I got on the wire and called a bunch of people to see if they wanted "in" on the gift. We pooled our resources... she got EXACTLY what she wanted, and a whole bunch of people were able to sign the card. Some could only afford $25 or $30, so it worked out really well. My niece was thrilled and people who were involved felt special too, without having to reveal what they each spent.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My niece is graduating high school. I am getting her a 50 dollar gift certificate to HOT TOPIC (As she is a African American GOTH diva. Hehehe. With all that black and black makeup, she resembles Helena Bonham Carter in Fight Club.:rolleyes: Really.).

I may get her a Polaroid Digital Camera. I saw a pink one. It will match her pink Motorola RAZR. Hehehe.