Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'll get to my point, but have you no patience skip to the end.

Earlier today I stumbled upon the realization that my major/prospective career (Architecture) is not as lucrative as I previously imagined. Now don't get me wrong it doesn't pay terribly, but compared to the salaries of other professionals $50,000 is fairly low. Initially I was upset, "Funny that all the Universities neglect to mention this" I thought to myself. However, after some clear thinking, I realized it was never the money that interested me. I am passionate about architecture, and feel that I can help people and make a difference with it. In my opinion enjoying what I do is much better than waking up one morning when I'm 50 years old only to realize that I hate my life, regardless of wealth.

Okay SO, more to the point of the thread, I also realized that I do not need very much to be happy. A place to sleep, a computer, food, a pair of running shoes :smile:, transportation, friends, a small amount of spending money for things like CDs/movies/books, a few recreational activities, and a good relationship. Perhaps I am being naive and usual idealistic self, but this is what I have decided upon.

Here is my question: what things, material and non-material, do you fellow LPSG'ers need to be happy?

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Okay SO, more to the point of the thread, I also realized that I do not need very much to be happy. A place to sleep, a computer, food, a pair of running shoes :smile:, transportation, friends, a small amount of spending money for things like CDs/movies/books, a few recreational activities, and a good relationship. Perhaps I am being naive and usual idealistic self, but this is what I have decided upon.

Here is my question: what things, material and non-material, do you fellow LPSG'ers need to be happy?

Actually, you are way ahead of most in life. If you already know that you can be happy with your needs met and a little extra, you are way ahead of the pack.

I'd like what you mentioned plus some for travel, and to be able to do some good. Also, I'd like money to buy music. I was once a gifted pianist and I'd like to get back at it.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have some hurdles in my career. I am a computer programmer/application developer/software engineer, whatever you want to call it. Yet I have trouble finding jobs because I don't have a high enough skill level for the jobs (and I have been fired twice in the past year for not having an adequate skill level). I like what I do when I can do it, but I don't want a job that I am just going to be fired from again.

For me, a secure job is very important because I worry insanely about money, am I going to be able to pay my bills, etc. I am at the point that I may not be able to pay rent next month.

I have a lot of hangups about my looks and would want some procedures done to enhance that (not all require surgery or anything, mind you)

It's important to me to have a circle of friends, and as I found out when I moved to my new city, I really like having groups of people who enjoy various activities around. I can now play softball and volleyball, go hiking, go out to dinners, movies, hear bands play in clubs, etc., and I have a group of people who I can do these things with.

I'm a big music lover, so for me having some really good songs to listen to makes me happy too.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, you are way ahead of most in life. If you already know that you can be happy with your needs met and a little extra, you are way ahead of the pack.

I'd like what you mentioned plus some for travel, and to be able to do some good. Also, I'd like money to buy music. I was once a gifted pianist and I'd like to get back at it.

Oh yeah, I'd like to be able to travel, too. Which also brings up something else. I don't want to travel alone, so I would want someone in my life who I am comfortable and compatible with, for a travel (and otherwise) companion. :smile:

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Travel is also important to me, probably my most expensive desire. I'd consider myself a bit of a culture junkie. Luckily I'm extremely low maintenance and won't mind backpacking, sleeping on trains, or staying in hostels as long as I have a friend who appreciates travel with me.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Travel is also important to me, probably my most expensive desire. I'd consider myself a bit of a culture junkie. Luckily I'm extremely low maintenance and won't mind backpacking, sleeping on trains, or staying in hostels as long as I have a friend who appreciates travel with me.

I wouldn't mind that either. In fact, that kind of travel intrigues me more than staying in a fancy hotel (although I'd like to be able to do that, too). Of course, some of the kinds of experiences I want to have with travel would also require me to get into better shape - I'd like to do some "adventure travel" like trekking in Nepal, "climbing" (you don't have to be a mountain climber to do this!) Mt. Kilimanjaro, etc. And for me, being a world music fan, I would love to go to various countries and hear their folk music at the source.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have everything I could ever want or need except for this:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/rever...hb_wine_lg.jpg

That's a beauty. Would love to get better at my cheap old acoustic.

I'd like to do some "adventure travel" like trekking in Nepal, "climbing" (you don't have to be a mountain climber to do this!) Mt. Kilimanjaro, etc.

Yes! Experiencing the world for it's natural beauty is just as important as any other aspect of travel.

CharlieBee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think you have to pay your dues in architecture as in any other profession. 50K is not as bad as it sounds. If you just show up on time every day, work hard, keep your mouth shut most of the time, you will advance and in 5 years will be making the big money....

However, I left a high paying job in engineering...thought about what makes me happy, realized it is doing something helpful to make other people happy, went back to school and got into the medical field. Now I work three times as hard for one third the money, I sold the big house, live simply, have a blast with my coworkers and forget about it at the end of the day.

In conclusion, please don't ditch your career, make up your mind to do your time, save up for splendid vacations, and above all, find a special friend to spend time with.

lesmeljos

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
a comfy home and enough $$ to keep it that way (including computers etc),
a well-balanced relationship,
time for work and time for play (and the luxury of knowing the difference), decent health,
cherished friends and,
faith in my higher power
LPSG

B_ironsoul

Experimental Member
Media
ugh. I am making only 28,000 a year and I have my degree. Be thankful dude. All I need is my dog and a select few friends. A good pair of running and hiking shoes. That is about it

gwr1349

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What I need to be happy in life is a loving wife. I love to be very romantic and intimate with her. She does not respond well to that. I long for holding hands, Kissing, Fondling, Hugging, Going out on dates, Being in Love again. I'm tired of being alone even though I'm married. If I had that I would be happy. It's not money or things that make me happy. I need LOVE.

B_ironsoul

Experimental Member
Media
What I need to be happy in life is a loving wife. I love to be very romantic and intimate with her. She does not respond well to that. I long for holding hands, Kissing, Fondling, Hugging, Going out on dates, Being in Love again. I'm tired of being alone even though I'm married. If I had that I would be happy. It's not money or things that make me happy. I need LOVE.
oh man. This breaks my heart. I really hope you find happiness sir. I really really do.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good question! How would I know that if I've never really been happy?

I would say large sums of money would help a lot. A large cock wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously, good health is very important, as someone else said. You don't think much about it when you have perfect health. Since I have had back problems, and even simple tasks were painful, it's become a big thought.

I would also like to find the right woman to share my life with. I do doubt that will ever happen. I really don't think any woman can accept all of my faults. So, I probably won't ever be happy. Is happiness a requirement?

datdude

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good question! How would I know that if I've never really been happy?

I would say large sums of money would help a lot. A large cock wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously, good health is very important, as someone else said. You don't think much about it when you have perfect health. Since I have had back problems, and even simple tasks were painful, it's become a big thought.

I would also like to find the right woman to share my life with. I do doubt that will ever happen. I really don't think any woman can accept all of my faults. So, I probably won't ever be happy. Is happiness a requirement?

Your right on the good health statement. With out that, the rest means nothing.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

I'm lucky that I have finally found the right woman who doesn't think that I'm weird,but loves me for who I am.....I make enough money to be able to pay my bills and have some left over for my toys.....I'm 56 and could have retired last year with a nice pension......I really like my job...............i'm healthy....I like myself..........I'm grateful for every day given to me.
I have a good life and hope that Cigarbabe and I have a long life ahead of us. I'm blessed and fortunatey know it