What do you need to be happy?

visceraltuning

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here is my question: what things, material and non-material, do you fellow LPSG'ers need to be happy?

I set new goals and achieving them, then set new goals and achieving them. This is what Voltaire called tending or cultivating ones garden in Candide.

This is all that keeps me going, along with trying new things, going new places and working to improve my health. If I'm not doing these things I get depressed.

It's been awhile sense I've been able to buy anything that I've found very satisfying except if it's an item that will help me acheive a goal.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll get to my point, but have you no patience skip to the end.

Earlier today I stumbled upon the realization that my major/prospective career (Architecture) is not as lucrative as I previously imagined. Now don't get me wrong it doesn't pay terribly, but compared to the salaries of other professionals $50,000 is fairly low. Initially I was upset, "Funny that all the Universities neglect to mention this" I thought to myself.

Try having a fine art degree. I think I spend more than I make most years. When you are in college, choose a discipline because you love it, not because you want to make money. You never know where you'll be 10 years from now. Many people completely change their career path at least once in their lives and for even more what they have their degree in is barely relevant to their jobs.

Also, I found this about architecture as a profession:

"According to the 2006–2007 Occupation Outlook Handbook published by the US Department of Labor, the median salary of architects was $62,960 with the middle 50% earning between $46,690 and $79,230. This was slightly above accountants (median income $50,770), college professors (median income $51,800) and on par with most branches of engineering (median income of roughly $60K)."

So a bit higher than $50K. Either way, you're not going to be poor.

Here is my question: what things, material and non-material, do you fellow LPSG'ers need to be happy?

My son, my husband, a decent place to live, enough money to travel a little and be able to have some books, clothing, maybe take a few classes. I'd definitely need decent camera equipment and a computer with internet. I do like to shop, so some spending money would be nice.

Does that make me high maintenance?

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you have to pay your dues in architecture as in any other profession. 50K is not as bad as it sounds. If you just show up on time every day, work hard, keep your mouth shut most of the time, you will advance and in 5 years will be making the big money....

However, I left a high paying job in engineering...thought about what makes me happy, realized it is doing something helpful to make other people happy, went back to school and got into the medical field. Now I work three times as hard for one third the money, I sold the big house, live simply, have a blast with my coworkers and forget about it at the end of the day.

In conclusion, please don't ditch your career, make up your mind to do your time, save up for splendid vacations, and above all, find a special friend to spend time with.

I'd be happy with $50K a year again. I made that kind of income for a very short time. Now I am on unemployment.

Doing what you love is more important than making lots of money (well, as long as you have enough money to pay the bills). My problem is that there are various career fields that I would like to "try out" but they all require different college degrees! I would have to get maybe 5 or 6 degrees to do that! (or maybe more than that) Plus there's the whole "You can't get a job without experience, and you can't get experience without a job". I thought I was past that level now, but in my field (Information Technology), there are very few entry level jobs any more and even not very many mid level jobs. They are ALL very senior level. My skill level is lower-mid, and I am having a lot of difficulty finding work.

I would prefer an engineering job over a medical job, but that's just me personally - everyone's different. Engineering is one of the career fields I would like to "try out". I was fascinated by a presentation on engineering when I was in high school. I'm not suited for medical work. I worked for a short time as a nurse's aide and that is actually what prompted me to go back to school for my computer degree! :biggrin1: The only medical field I'd be interested in would be being a pharmacist or something. That would be interesting because when I was a nurse's aide I actually did enjoy the part of training when we learned about various medications. I liked chemistry in school, too (although my favorite class was physics).

I am now at the point that I may have to take a low paying job that I will not enjoy, simply to make ends meet.

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Good food, good company. Movement and adventures. A comfortable home with indoor/outdoor space. Natural beauty. A job I enjoy. Transport. Love. Passion. Grass. Healthy competition. My curiosity. My mind. God. Bodies of water. The Sun.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In my opinion enjoying what I do is much better than waking up one morning when I'm 50 years old only to realize that I hate my life, regardless of wealth.

I don't think you want to wake up at 50 and discover that you are dirt poor and haven't achieved a level of comfort either, especially if you plan on having a family. No, money doesn't buy happiness, friends, love and all the best things in life but what it does give you are choices and a certain degree of freedom. You are able to choose from a greater variety of things life has to offer and it provides for a freedom to do what you want when you want. It can open the doors to things you never imagined possible and widen your experiences and pleasures in life. Peace of mind is another biggie with money, it gets more important as you get older and when you are providing for others besides yourself.

SDG, realize that being a designer and financial well being are not mutually exclusive. If you are passionate about something the drive to become financially successful at it comes easier. Don't let a stupid book on salary averages sour your passions and set your expectations. The best usually rise to the top in any field and get paid handsomely because few can do what they do. One note of warning, the course of study in college is rarely what the experience is in the real world. Work at a firm during a summer and see if you want to go into it because work and school are very different experiences. Design work sometimes is like sausage. It may seem tasty but if you knew what went into it you would think twice about eating it.

Also know that there are so many things an architect can do besides architecture. You are by no means locked into the profession. The skills you learn as a designer are transferable to many professions.

Friends & the space to be me.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
a comfy home and enough $$ to keep it that way (including computers etc),
a well-balanced relationship,
time for work and time for play (and the luxury of knowing the difference), decent health,
cherished friends and,
faith in my higher power
LPSG
Ditto! (Well, I don't know if I'd call LPSG my higher power but it's certainly made me happy during the past year).:biggrin:

Full_Phil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
doing what I want makes me happy.

I do what I "want" far too often (an addiction, if I'm honest with myself), and it has never made me happy. It might make sense for most people to seek that which makes them trully happy, whatever it may be, instead of focusing on that which they are somehow drawn to. The mere fact that they are drawn indicates that they are not in control of the situation. Happiness for me will occur when I finally take control of myself.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Nice to see so many sincere responses. I'm not worried about not making enough money for myself, I can be happy with almost nothing. It's the demands of a future family that I'm concerned about.

I'm pretty gung ho about my career interest, so it's going to take a lot more than $ to change my mind.

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What do I need to be happy?

Well I find myself a great follower of the Hierachy of Needs and I find myself stuck on the third tier with few friends and no intimacy in my life, which does indeed seem to lead me to have low self esteem and to consiquently not feel satisfied or happy with my life.

Obviously it's only a theory, but it seems to hold true for me.