What do you think of your name?

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
I used to hate my first name till about middle school when I started noticing more popular people having the same name. Middle name is alright, haven't come across too many people that share it. Last name I took when I was adopted. I'm alright with it, but it's ALWAYS mispronounced when I have to say it. People will misunderstand and try to use other letters for the first letter to say it, so I got in the habit of spelling my last name whenever someone needed to write it down. It's annoying as hell. I also share it with someone famous that did did something very bad and did time.

My first name is very rare as a first name and is more commonly known as a surname but I still like it a lot nonetheless. Unfortunately, right now it is tied to someone who is in some potentially legal troubles just declared today. (I'll let you guess at what is is.)

I've been very reluctant to give out my surname to anyone because literally no one outside of my immediate family has been able to pronounce it correctly, let alone spell it. It is of Nigerian Igbo in origin.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on my middle name. It is also an Igbo name but no one ever inquires about that. I guess after they learn what my surname is they're not too eager to learn what the rest of my name is.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's my name.

At times it has been bothersome-the surname in particular as it quickly makes me a marked man (especially at airports). My given name is decent enough and I've grown to love it. Middle name? I ain't got one.

When it comes to my professional name, I am quite fond of it, although it took me years to finalize it. I would go to book stores and had to figure which space on the shelves had the most viewership on average from more than 30 stores (and different dealers), and then, I made my final selection from the 3 different ones I had written under over the years. Sadly all that research was in vain as a now-best-selling author made their meteoric rise just as I was heading into the choppy seas. Their newfound success has also brought out their several earlier works in new editions and shoved me down a shelf or two.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I hate my first name, it comes from old French and old German and means "guards wisely" or "wise protection". That name is (or I should say was) my father's name.

I like my middle name because it is not very common. It comes from several sources, all relating to mountains. It can mean "man from the mountain", "steep hill", etc.
The only thing is that spellings differ--some people spell it with an e and others with a y, so I always have to spell it out for people.

My last name is an Anglicized name, it has no connection to my Italian name, it's just something close. While it's a fairly common name in English, I am amazed at the people who can't pronounce it, let alone spell it!

In everyday usage, I use my first intial, my middle name and my last name.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was blessed with a 13 letter Polish Tongue twister of a last name that contained only 3 vowels. NO ONE could pronounce it correctly. I got tired of spelling it over the phone. So for my 40th birthday I gave myself a present. I legally jettisoned all but the first three letters of my last name and am glad i did.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy

Wow! Pretty darn close! Cohen. Cone would be funnier, it could describe my prepuce.

heh heh...i always think about the Curb Your Enthusiasm Episode, where Larry finds out he is supposedly adopted...he goes to meet his "birth parents"...the "Cohens"...after several weird exchanges, he asks them how they spell their last name, and they say "C-O-N-E"...and he looks on the wall of their house, and there is a picture of Jesus...and he says "Oh my god...I'm gentile!!!" ROFLMAO...and then for the rest of the time you see him drinking a gin and tonic, wearing a sweater vest, going to church...LOL

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am named after a dead man who is apparently not related to me in any way.

I feel that a better name and/or reason for a name could have been chosen. I like my middle name, last name sounds a bit arhythmic; doesn't roll off the tongue.

lickme69

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Until I got married 20 years ago, my name was really no problem. Once I got married it became apparent that I share a name with a famous singer/actress. So of course I was given her nickname. I get alot of comments when I tell people my name. I am divorced, but I kept my name.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's my name.
At times it has been bothersome-the surname in particular as it quickly makes me a marked man (especially at airports). My given name is decent enough and I've grown to love it. Middle name? I ain't got one.

When it comes to my professional name, I am quite fond of it, although it took me years to finalize it. I would go to book stores and had to figure which space on the shelves had the most viewership on average from more than 30 stores (and different dealers), and then, I made my final selection from the 3 different ones I had written under over the years. Sadly all that research was in vain as a now-best-selling author made their meteoric rise just as I was heading into the choppy seas. Their newfound success has also brought out their several earlier works in new editions and shoved me down a shelf or two.
Aha, I knew it! :biggrin1: You're either John Grisham or Andrew M. Greeley. :tongue::cool:

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like all my names. My last one everyone jacks up but that is ok. I go by my middle name at times (Austin) but 99% of the time I go by my first.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i love the way my name is spelled without an e. it still pisses me off when people write STACEY because spelling it STACY is what identifies me differently from the rest of the other staceys out there. the meaning of my name is greek and it means resurrection. it is also the shorter form of anastasia.

my last name is unique. no i'm not posting it, but it's short, a little confusing to pronounce, and it has four consecutive vowels. the only other person i can think of who's last name is some what similar in spelling is scott baio.

unfortunately i don't have a middle name. my mother decided not to give middle names to me and my sister. however, if i ever get married my last name will become my middle name and i will take my future hubby's last name.

Last edited:

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hated it when I was a kid. As I got older, and realized who I was named after- Maternal grandfather who died before I was born-as were 2 or 3 cousins- I saw that he must have had a hell of any influence on his kids and came to be quite pround of it. It's not a christian name per se, but a surname.

B_Artful Dodger

Experimental Member
Media
I'm happy with my name :smile:
My first name is the kind of name that I consider cute when your little, cool when your a bit older and then sensible enough to not sound stupid when you're 40+. Its also very traditional and is double barreled like my mum's so it looks nice when written out in full.
My middle names a family name and I like it...
My surname is always being spelled by wrong by people but other than that I have no complaints about it. Its very unusual so its kinda interesting.

Don't mind it. It's kind've bog-standard and traditional. Middle name is English and kinda posh, lol.

Used to sound stupid to me, when I had to say it in class or whatever - but fine with it now.