What does being gay mean to you?

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was just being empowered, that's all :wink:

Actually, I think most people who deviate from the norm can be labeled queer, whether their partners/playmates share their gender or not.

Humanity's greatest strength lies in its diversity.

This is why I've always thought gay men have historically delivered the greatest civilizational advances, but would it still obtain, if gays were accepted as part of the mainstream, and there was no angst about being gay?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Homo/Heterosexuality doesn't mean anything more than which gender one is attracted to.

The rest is self-inflicted lifestyles/beliefs which makes people feel better (or possibly worse) about their sexuality. It's important to be able to separate the factors of our sexuality that are consciously chosen and those that aren't. (But most either can't or don't.)

Ain't that the truth. Thanks NS. :smile:

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
GAY= light-hearted, happy, & joyous & lively to me as I was growin up in the day... (smile)
Now if said ...it means or gives way to being homosexual
Why don't we just stick to the basic usage of the terms old man Webster put into the dictionary sometimes...slang words has never been my thing.

Just a thought...hope you're 'gay' with this....smile!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
GAY= light-hearted, happy, & joyous & lively to me as I was growin up in the day... (smile)
Now if said ...it means or gives way to being homosexual
Why don't we just stick to the basic usage of the terms old man Webster put into the dictionary sometimes...slang words has never been my thing.

Just a thought...hope you're 'gay' with this....smile!
Oh you're so funny :tongue:

tiagra

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Never think about it. Just attracted to whom I'm attracted. The gender dosen't make that much difference.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
wow
that's an amazing answer. you ever been to "Burning Man"?

Wrong generation, HungJon. All that 90s Lilith Fair/Burning Man stuff just seemed like so much neo-hippy claptrap, but with more dangerous drugs :wink:

I'm urban-wasteland, post-punk, painfully self-conscious irony and grab-life-by-the-balls hedonism. We did underground clubs in the bad parts of town, not mega-happenings in some muddy field.

But thank you for the compliment.

To me it means loving my partner, having and erotic and emotional appreciation of men, deciding for myself, being skeptical about social and cultural assumptions, being "knowing," recognizing oppression and supporting others, and being true to myself.

It also means stepping outside my door every day and carrying on my life knowing there are people who want to kill me.

Dave

The world is a very dangerous place for provocateurs and misfits, and being gay is not for sissies.

This is why I've always thought gay men have historically delivered the greatest civilizational advances, but would it still obtain, if gays were accepted as part of the mainstream, and there was no angst about being gay?

Outsiders (including gay men and women) have traditionally been the force behind growth and evolution in western civilization: artists, philosophers, architects, writers and poets, etc. I'm unclear as to why we are more creative, but we are.

Acceptance is far from assured. We are the only minority for whom a constitutional amendment codifying discrimination (as opposed to enfranchisement) has been deemed appropriate.

I find empowerment in the sheer panic our demand for equality and enfranchisement brings to many. It might anger me but it does not frighten me.